• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any advice/strategy for ensuring contracts get extended?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    ...I tend to work more than 8 hours, I don't know why, ...
    It's because you're inefficient.

I tend to do 7-8 hour days. If I have no work pending, I'll leave the office. If there's an issue or there's some urgency, I might well work 10 hours or more (though by then, I'll have gone home and be logging in remotely).

My clients are aware of the fact that I don't clock watch, that I leave when I feel ready to go, and when necessary I put the extra hours in without fuss. I charge according to the half day - maximum 1 day charged . That's why I've been in contract with various departments of the client for the past eight years.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Take pride in your work and what you do and be proud to have your name stamped on it when you leave. IMHO, everything else flows from that whether you get extended or not.

I know, hand on heart, that I did an excellent job (Within the usual constraints) on every project I touched last year. Some get you repeat work, some don't. Some will be slow burners, some will be outright extensions.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. I don't know of any other trade that focusses on staying on one job for an indefinite amount of time - rather you should be building up your reputation and network of contacts, while ensuring you choose work which uses technology that's likely to be helpful in the future.

Doing 12 hour days for no good reason is a mugs game. Clockwatching makes you a jobsworth. Turning up, doing a solid day and producing something of quality makes you a professional.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    What the **** has how a permie treated got to do with us. This sums up both and Unix's approach to this issue. Disgruntled permies both of you.
    Merely pointing out an example where putting your employer/client before your family because, for some reason, you think its going to gain you an advantage is a stupid thing to do.

In fact, I'd say even more so in a contract setting where you're going to be history more than likely in a few months.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis. If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.
    I agree. I'm out of the door after a normal day. If there's something that needs to be done then 30-60 mins no worries but I try not to.
    If it all goes pear shaped then I will stay however long it takes.

But like I said, current client is pretty good and offers TOIL for the extra.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Is he divorced too?
    He is but unrelated to this incident. He did a few things considered much worse in the marriage setting lol.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Nothing is sure fire though. Thats the point.

You can stay in the office and work 24x7 but its not gonna make a blind bit of odds if client either a) decides they dont need you or b) theres no more money.

Remember permie days. Guy I worked with cancelled his hol about 2-3 days before because employer asked him to and they said they'd see him right. His Mrs went ballistic but his attitude was gotta keep employer happy. He got made redundant few months later (or rather shafted - they didnt do it properly) same day as me.
    What the **** has how a permie treated got to do with us. This sums up both and Unix's approach to this issue. Disgruntled permies both of you.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis.
    That is how any Business to Business relationship works. Nothing new, is there?

If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.
    Again, based on assumption that all XXXL Shirts fit FLC. There are contracts which require working long hours to be able to finish the job, let alone impressing the client.

Leave a comment:

• Ramrod
    replied
    I have a sure fire method of getting extensions which has served me well many times. It's not an easy thing to achieve so please persevere if this doesn't work for you immediately.

It goes like this, are you ready?............

Be in the right place at the right time.

You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

You can stay in the office and work 24x7 but its not gonna make a blind bit of odds if client either a) decides they dont need you or b) theres no more money.

Remember permie days. Guy I worked with cancelled his hol about 2-3 days before because employer asked him to and they said they'd see him right. His Mrs went ballistic but his attitude was gotta keep employer happy. He got made redundant few months later (or rather shafted - they didnt do it properly) same day as me.
    This sums it up, if you start letting the client push you to work extra hours etc then they will exploit you senseless. I find clients respect me more when I nip in the bud any notion of working gratis. If the only way you can provide value is working 10 hours a day, then you should be a permie.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Is he divorced too?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    There are a few sure-fire ways to get an extension, most of which have been mentioned already.

So combine them all - provide the best service (which may or may not require being flexible about working hours) and make yourself indispensable on a project that has oodles of cash to fund it. If you do this for a client who can't make up their mind about what they are doing, then you're on the path to riches.

Simple.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Now you are just being a moronic troll. Well I really hope you are anyway.
    No, he/she is just being a Permie.

Originally posted by Unix
    If you can't do the work within the 7-8 hours in a working day then you are incompetent and will most likely burn out from a bad work/life balance.
    Were you not told this bollox by your manager when you were a Permie? Mine tried to.
    Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 2 March 2015, 14:00. Reason: Gender assumption.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you can't do the work within the 7-8 hours in a working day then you are incompetent and will most likely burn out from a bad work/life balance. I usually complete my work in a few hours, the rest is spent on CUK
    Now you are just being a moronic troll. Well I really hope you are anyway.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    There are a few sure-fire ways to get an extension, most of which have been mentioned already.

So combine them all - provide the best service (which may or may not require being flexible about working hours) and make yourself indispensable on a project that has oodles of cash to fund it. If you do this for a client who can't make up their mind about what they are doing, then you're on the path to riches.

Simple.
    Add to it the condition that all planets should also be in a straight line.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    If you can't do the work within the 7-8 hours in a working day then you are incompetent and will most likely burn out from a bad work/life balance. I usually complete my work in a few hours, the rest is spent on CUK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X