• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "first contract stuck before it starts"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    OK, just to be ultra, ultra sure - keep looking for a new job until your last invoice has been paid, and any warranty period in the contract has passed.

Then you can stop looking.
    i guess it depends on how niche your skills are but personally, i never stop looking, even when i'm fully loaded.

Leave a comment:

• john1973
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You've already had your answer numerous times. Might need a bit of thinking about or understanding beyond the text on the screen but your answers are all there......
    Will decide until next Tuesday(as recommended by agent), if still not happening, will give notice.

Thanks lot

Best luck for your next role and the role after and after.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by john1973 View Post
    Hi, Guys,

Thanks lot for all your advice.
    I have read through all your replies.

The contract does have start date, which is 2nd of February, and notice period is 4 weeks.

After I signed the contract and sent it back to agent, I did not have it back.
    So they got a copy with my signature and I got a only blank one.

Does the contract has obligations to both sides in such case?
    Honestly, I want to start looking for new job(as backup) but not giving notice since I still hope this one could come back.

However, if this is illegal, then I want to know how long the agent could keep me waiting and when I will become free according to this contract.
    You've already had your answer numerous times. Might need a bit of thinking about or understanding beyond the text on the screen but your answers are all there......

Leave a comment:

• john1973
    replied
    Hi, Guys,

Thanks lot for all your advice.
    I have read through all your replies.

The contract does have start date, which is 2nd of February, and notice period is 4 weeks.

After I signed the contract and sent it back to agent, I did not have it back.
    So they got a copy with my signature and I got a only blank one.

Does the contract has obligations to both sides in such case?
    Honestly, I want to start looking for new job(as backup) but not giving notice since I still hope this one could come back.

However, if this is illegal, then I want to know how long the agent could keep me waiting and when I will become free according to this contract.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If the contract doesn't have a start date that still needs to be negotiated and if in the mean time you get a 3 month or 6 month contract then you simply tell them when you're available.

You can start this contract whenever it suits you.

Therefore you don't need to worry.

Effectively a contract without a start date is completely worthless, it will only become a contract when you've agreed when your going to start; in the meantime ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I keep an active eye on the market permanently.

To spot potential future gigs.

To check rates.

To see how healthy the market is and what folks are looking for.

Good luck bro.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's absurdly rare, most of the time the client will expect you to hang about until it suits them or they decide they CBA.

In truth if you're being put off and it doesn't feel right then go after other stuff and if something else goes live just tell the current agent that they have X days to get you on site and billing or the deal is off.
    the role was for a company who was taking over an IT department being outsourced.
    so they had to wait for the deal to be completed before I could start.
    Company X liked me (or my cheap labour ) + I had the skill set & ability to work onsite without lengthy delays in getting clearance so could hit the ground running.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by AMH View Post
    i was once paid a 50% retainer while waiting for a role to start.
    Got other work with the same agency while waiting - so it worked out good for us both at the time.
    That's absurdly rare, most of the time the client will expect you to hang about until it suits them or they decide they CBA.

In truth if you're being put off and it doesn't feel right then go after other stuff and if something else goes live just tell the current agent that they have X days to get you on site and billing or the deal is off.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    i was once paid a 50% retainer while waiting for a role to start.
    Got other work with the same agency while waiting - so it worked out good for us both at the time.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by john1973 View Post
    Hi, Guys,

I signed my first contract couple of weeks ago and wait for the job to start.

But after waiting for few days, being told the client not sure when the job will start, it might be few weeks delay and it might be few months.

Agent suggest me(only verbal) to find another job rather then waiting for this one.
    I called the IT manager and got the same reply.

Now if I started looking for another contract, will I get into trouble since I already put my name on the contract?

If one day, the agent comes back and ask me to start the contract, do I have to follow them?

Please give advice, not feeling very lucky for first time contractor.

Thank you all in advance.
    Just write to the agent giving notice of termination in accordance with the contract. Then, quote the MOO clause in your contract and start looking for a new role.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I never worked on a 'gig.' Its a contract, role or job. ******* 'gig' my arse.
    He's a new guy. Just trying to help him get his mindset right.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It's not uncommon for a gig (NOT a job!!!) ....................
    I never worked on a 'gig.' Its a contract, role or job. ******* 'gig' my arse.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    LOL.. I was waiting for someone to mention the first invoice but A+ for effort with the rest....
    If I could remember any of my sockie logins, I was going to do it as the four Yorkshiremen.

Well, of course, we had it tough...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    P.S to the OP. That post is pretty appalling even if English isn't your first language.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    LOL.. I was waiting for someone to mention the first invoice but A+ for effort with the rest....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X