• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

first contract stuck before it starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first contract stuck before it starts

Hi, Guys,

I signed my first contract couple of weeks ago and wait for the job to start.

But after waiting for few days, being told the client not sure when the job will start, it might be few weeks delay and it might be few months.

Agent suggest me(only verbal) to find another job rather then waiting for this one.
    I called the IT manager and got the same reply.

Now if I started looking for another contract, will I get into trouble since I already put my name on the contract?

If one day, the agent comes back and ask me to start the contract, do I have to follow them?

Please give advice, not feeling very lucky for first time contractor.

Thank you all in advance.

Check what the notice period on your side is in the contract if it's more than 2 weeks negotiate with the Agent/client to reduce it to 2 or better 1 week in the light of this delays.

After that start looking and when asked about your availability - state the above number. If you get an offer for another role serve your notice for termination of the first contract and sign the second one.

Comment

It's not uncommon for a gig (NOT a job!!!) to be delayed but it is pretty common for a delayed gig to evaporate. Never stop looking for work until you are sat at your desk at the clients site on day one.

Normally the agent will do everything to keep you stringing along to get his cash so if the agent is telling you to go look then he doesn't have much confidence this will come off so take his advice.

You won't find one straight away so you have a nice buffer to work with anyway. Forget this one for now, go and look for more work. One of two things will happen. This gig will start before you find work so happy days. The other thing is you find work first. I am assuming at best this will take a week or two which is more than enough time for them to sort their tulip out. If they haven't by then then it's tough, you are no longer available. They might moan a little bit but there is no loss so can't hold you to anything. If they are being unreasonable they have to expect it's gonna come back and bite them.

Take their advice and carry on looking for work but in future don't stop until you are sitting at the client on day one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Take their advice and carry on looking for work but in future don't stop until you are sitting at the client on day one.
        Even then, don't stop looking until you've had your first invoice paid, just in case.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Even then, don't stop looking until you've had your first invoice paid, just in case.
          Actually, keep looking until you've had more than one invoice paid, just to be sure.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Actually, keep looking until you've had more than one invoice paid, just to be sure.
            To be pedantic, you want to keep looking right up to the point that your last invoice gets paid.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

To be pedantic, you want to keep looking right up to the point that your last invoice gets paid.
              OK, just to be ultra, ultra sure - keep looking for a new job until your last invoice has been paid, and any warranty period in the contract has passed.

Then you can stop looking.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

LOL.. I was waiting for someone to mention the first invoice but A+ for effort with the rest....

Comment

P.S to the OP. That post is pretty appalling even if English isn't your first language.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    LOL.. I was waiting for someone to mention the first invoice but A+ for effort with the rest....
                    If I could remember any of my sockie logins, I was going to do it as the four Yorkshiremen.

Well, of course, we had it tough...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X