• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car Insurance - Business Usage - more expensive?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I've had class 1 business use (or whatever they call it now) for decades, it costs a couple of quid a year. That's all you need unless you're carrying business goods/spares/stock in which case that's some other thing that costs more.
    BTW Business class 2 is for your named drivers to have business travel, however you need to confirm with the insurer whether they need to be in the same business as yourself. So for example, if one of you is an IT contractor and the other named driver who uses your car for work reasons works in the health service, you need to get the insurer to confirm you can both use the car for your specific business.

Otherwise may get screwed over if either of you has an accident.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Do any of you put that 'extra' through as a business expense, or just suck it up?
    Can't expense £0.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Never bothered expensing it, doesn't seem worth the effort really for two quid.
    I figured that too. If it was a substantial amount, it'd be quite difficult to do, also, I would think. I presume you'd have to get a quote with and without to enable you to proportion it correctly.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Do any of you put that 'extra' through as a business expense, or just suck it up?
    Never bothered expensing it, doesn't seem worth the effort really for two quid.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    I used to just pay it personally and not bother as an expense. £10 a year as an expense? Tesco insurance used to include it for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    If you claim your home as your office (as most contractors do?), travelling to client site is business travel. And, once you arrive at client site, if you need to use your car for any business related travel ie attend another client site for meeting, you will not be cover under your SD&P and commuting clause in your policy.

The extra cost is negligible. If your insurance co charges more than £50, you need to switch companies.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    If you claim your home as your office (as most contractors do?), travelling to client site is business travel. And, once you arrive at client site, if you need to use your car for any business related travel ie attend another client site for meeting, you will not be cover under your SD&P and commuting clause in your policy.

The extra cost is negligible. If your insurance co charges more than £50, you need to switch companies.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Would agree it adds very little cost.

Important to have though. You are travelling from your employers site (i.e. home) to a client site so its a business trip. As NLUK says, thats why you get to claim mileage.

I wouldnt want to risk having an accident and the insurance company looking into this and knocking the claim back.

Insurer - So you've got your own company yeh and you were travelling to another company who you've got a business relationship with? OK do thats a business trip then? OK let me see. Ah looks like you're not covered for business use. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Mine was the same cost. Even as a permie you need business insurance if you ever use your car, for example, to attend a conference, training, client site or suchlike that isn't your regular place of work.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Might not even add that much if your mileage is low enough.
    Might even be less. Insurance quotes can be that weird.

I find typically Fully Comp. to be less than TPF&T, TPF&T to be less than TP-only. You can even sometimes get a lower premium for higher mileage.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is more than one class of business use for your vehicle.

Someone using their car to deliver pizza (Business class 3) is different from someone travelling to business meetings (Business class 1).

Even if you are a permie and use your car to randomly travel to a meeting in the middle of the day at a different site then you need business use (Business class 1) on your car.
    What She said is spot on.

Site to site travel (an interview for example) or any travel you would expense is business use.

I've had class 1 business use (or whatever they call it now) for decades, it costs a couple of quid a year. That's all you need unless you're carrying business goods/spares/stock in which case that's some other thing that costs more.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You are not YourCo, you are 2 separate legal entities.

YourCo Employee commuting to the the client using his personal vehicle is not business use. Otherwise 90% of people are using their cars for business....

YourCo Employee delivering pizza using his personal vehicle probably is, but it's not what the OP is asking i guess.
    There is more than one class of business use for your vehicle.

Someone using their car to deliver pizza (Business class 3) is different from someone travelling to business meetings (Business class 1).

Even if you are a permie and use your car to randomly travel to a meeting in the middle of the day at a different site then you need business use (Business class 1) on your car.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It adds nothing to my insurance. I've done quotes with S&P and commuting, then adding business to it.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    When I was 18 I purchased a classic car and promptly found out the hard way I couldn't get insurance until I was 19 - or, rather, couldn't find any at a <£5k until I was 19. Anyway, turned 19, and managed to insure it for about £700 a year and it came with business insurance. I know it's all statistically driven, but as a consumer, insurance can feel random at best.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    YMMV. ;-)

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X