• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance - Business Usage - more expensive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Might not even add that much if your mileage is low enough.
    It adds nothing to my insurance. I've done quotes with S&P and commuting, then adding business to it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      You are not YourCo, you are 2 separate legal entities.

YourCo Employee commuting to the the client using his personal vehicle is not business use. Otherwise 90% of people are using their cars for business....

YourCo Employee delivering pizza using his personal vehicle probably is, but it's not what the OP is asking i guess.
      There is more than one class of business use for your vehicle.

Someone using their car to deliver pizza (Business class 3) is different from someone travelling to business meetings (Business class 1).

Even if you are a permie and use your car to randomly travel to a meeting in the middle of the day at a different site then you need business use (Business class 1) on your car.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There is more than one class of business use for your vehicle.

Someone using their car to deliver pizza (Business class 3) is different from someone travelling to business meetings (Business class 1).

Even if you are a permie and use your car to randomly travel to a meeting in the middle of the day at a different site then you need business use (Business class 1) on your car.
        What She said is spot on.

Site to site travel (an interview for example) or any travel you would expense is business use.

I've had class 1 business use (or whatever they call it now) for decades, it costs a couple of quid a year. That's all you need unless you're carrying business goods/spares/stock in which case that's some other thing that costs more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Might not even add that much if your mileage is low enough.
          Might even be less. Insurance quotes can be that weird.

I find typically Fully Comp. to be less than TPF&T, TPF&T to be less than TP-only. You can even sometimes get a lower premium for higher mileage.

Comment

Mine was the same cost. Even as a permie you need business insurance if you ever use your car, for example, to attend a conference, training, client site or suchlike that isn't your regular place of work.

Comment

Would agree it adds very little cost.

Important to have though. You are travelling from your employers site (i.e. home) to a client site so its a business trip. As NLUK says, thats why you get to claim mileage.

I wouldnt want to risk having an accident and the insurance company looking into this and knocking the claim back.

Insurer - So you've got your own company yeh and you were travelling to another company who you've got a business relationship with? OK do thats a business trip then? OK let me see. Ah looks like you're not covered for business use. Sorry.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If you claim your home as your office (as most contractors do?), travelling to client site is business travel. And, once you arrive at client site, if you need to use your car for any business related travel ie attend another client site for meeting, you will not be cover under your SD&P and commuting clause in your policy.

The extra cost is negligible. If your insurance co charges more than £50, you need to switch companies.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  If you claim your home as your office (as most contractors do?), travelling to client site is business travel. And, once you arrive at client site, if you need to use your car for any business related travel ie attend another client site for meeting, you will not be cover under your SD&P and commuting clause in your policy.

The extra cost is negligible. If your insurance co charges more than £50, you need to switch companies.
                  Do any of you put that 'extra' through as a business expense, or just suck it up?

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                    Do any of you put that 'extra' through as a business expense, or just suck it up?
                    I used to just pay it personally and not bother as an expense. £10 a year as an expense? Tesco insurance used to include it for nothing.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                      Never bothered expensing it, doesn't seem worth the effort really for two quid.

Comment

Working...
                      X