• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Standby allowance - reasonable figure?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Lol... Good find pondy.
    Flippin heck - I've got a virtual stalker :-)

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Entirely possible :-)

This particular one was absolutely chucking money away in 2000/2001. I left in late 2001 and they were starting to cut back on the spending a bit.

It one point, me and a mate were getting paid a pretty good rate for the hours we were working plus 50% of any hours we weren't working for being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We might have been in the same place. 'IF' only I could remember the name.....
    Was definately the same place I remember when they started cutting back they asked us to do the on-call at the permie rates, something around £2.80 an hour or something. I didn't do any on-call after that.

I remember when 3 contractor mates all rolled into the car park with their new Beamers. You weren't the one who bought the M3 were you?
    Last edited by Batcher; 25 November 2014, 17:51.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    And so it starts ...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Lol... Good find pondy.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    And so it starts ...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Be careful with the gentleman's agreement and 'no need to add into contract' idea. I just got bitten badly by this one in current gig where client really just took the piss. They mentioned weekends/shifts during interview but it never got into the contract etc. just PWD.

What happened then was they seemed to think they owned me 24/7 for the duration of the contract which meant they could tell me what hours to work (days, 12 hours, nights, weekends etc) and changed the plans often with less than a days notice. Once fair enough but then it got a bit too often and they were a bit off if I said no.

You might have seen my other threads - hassle with accommodation and family hassle. Of course, all very bad for IR35 too.

Next time, I'll think twice about being so agreeable and make sure its all laid out in the contract. And I'll definitely ensure that they don't have the right to change things at last minute as they did.

7 week contract but lots of grief....
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    In the past I've always been OK about working Saturday for normal rate if :-

1. Its not too much hassle for myself and family.
    2. They actually agree to pay me the days rate.
    3. They're flexible for me if I ever need a few hours off etc.

In the past, though, I have had urgent requests on a Friday for something to be done on Saturday. Usually then when I ask someone to authorise this so that I can bill for the day, it all becomes not so urgent. Basically, if I was doing it for free then they were happy. I dont think so.

Of course, when you get other contractors who will do it for free it really winds me up. (Also, contractors who will work weeks past end date of contract whilst client 'sorts out renewal').
    Last edited by Pondlife; 24 November 2014, 18:31.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    We probably worked at the same place

I was with an internet bank in 2001 and I thought the previous guy was ripping them off getting paid 3 hours (at a very good rate) just to be on-call plus normal hourly rate whatever he worked if he got called out. When he left and I was asked to take over on-call duties, the manager suggested the same for me and I just about ripped his hand off
    Entirely possible :-)

This particular one was absolutely chucking money away in 2000/2001. I left in late 2001 and they were starting to cut back on the spending a bit.

It one point, me and a mate were getting paid a pretty good rate for the hours we were working plus 50% of any hours we weren't working for being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We might have been in the same place. 'IF' only I could remember the name.....

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Only done it once and it was a while ago (2001) when I was environment manager for an internet bank.

50% rate was the deal (of the century if you ask me !)
    We probably worked at the same place

I was with an internet bank in 2001 and I thought the previous guy was ripping them off getting paid 3 hours (at a very good rate) just to be on-call plus normal hourly rate whatever he worked if he got called out. When he left and I was asked to take over on-call duties, the manager suggested the same for me and I just about ripped his hand off

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Serious question nluk

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Only done it once and it was a while ago (2001) when I was environment manager for an internet bank.

50% rate was the deal (of the century if you ask me !)

Leave a comment:

• glippiglop
    replied
    When I used to do call-outs to client sites during a normal working day I'd charge my standard rate subject to a minimum charge of 4 hours. Nothing more complex than that, which makes it easy for the client to work into their budget. Out of hours work would be a different story though (add 50% to rate?). If you give an inch then they'll take a mile, so I wouldn't be too accommodating or you'll be on call 24/7.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    >= 20% on stand-by and pro-rata when called out seems pretty fair to me.

Leave a comment:

• Tasslehoff
    replied
    Are you really asking us or is this just an oppotunitiy to have a moan about clients?
    Little from Column A, little from Column B I reckon

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Are you really asking us or is this just an oppotunitiy to have a moan about clients?
    opportunity

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    started a topic Standby allowance - reasonable figure?

Standby allowance - reasonable figure?

What do all reckon as % of day rate to do overnight (and then weekends)? 25% of pro-rata hourly for time on standby plus pro-rata rate for time once called (subject to a minimum of, say 2 hours)?

Have had clients in the past trying to pay same as permies - umm no. If permies get £100 per day permie salary, then they might be keen on £30 for being on call but I aint.

Even had one client (years ago mind before remote access was common) who told me if I got called I got my normal hourly rate but only when I got to site (I lived an hour plus away so I could have driven there 50 miles taking an hour, worked and got paid half-hour and then had to drive home an hour). Manager couldnt see anything wrong with this even when I pointed out it'd cost me more in petrol to get there and potentially it would mean I couldnt work and bill for the next day if I'd been dragged out of bed for 3 hours the night before.

But of course, these days with remote access its not so bad I guess.

Working...
X