• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Role Includes Paying For Work Related Flights"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    The Agency just charges the client a wacking great total that 'includes' the contractors expenses.

Agency pays you 50% of their invoice. Tells you 'Sorry expenses not included'. Pockets the difference.

When do you ever see the Agency's invoice to the customer?
    Also, this falls over the first time Johnny contractor moans about a last minute, can you go again next week request and they moan about having to pay themselves.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What receipts? They just invoice. That's what I do if I need to have the client reimburse my company for plane tickets.
    The Agency just charges the client a wacking great total that 'includes' the contractors expenses.

Agency pays you 50% of their invoice. Tells you 'Sorry expenses not included'. Pockets the difference.

If that is how it works, consider my gob well and truly smacked!

As an aside, in my first permie job, me and a few others worked onsite for a client in Holland.

Our company paid for our flights home every weekend, but to sweeten the deal (living away from home) they said if we wanted, we could fly out our wives/girlfriends/friends IF the cost was cheaper than our own return flight home - it always was because our flights were business class.

It worked great, us employees were happy with that deal, I was single at the time, so lots of my mates got a free weekend in Amsterdam.

6 months later (after I'd finished up on it), the client co start looking at the expenses that had been charged and found lots of flight receipts with people's names they did not recognize and refused to pay them. Oopsie!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    When I'm implementing AP and see my company name in the data. Or when I sign off the invoices. Or when the client says "can I ask you about your expenses...". Or if I said to the person who dealt with the invoices "it's frustrating that I can charge my expenses back..."

In the meantime, make sure you claim the cost of the tin foil for your hat

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    So the client relies on the agency to just guess the cost of the flights, and pays them without question?

You can add the exact sum to your invoice because you know what it cost you. If the client queried the cost, you would show them what it cost you. The agency cannot do that, they need to guess the cost and get the client to pay that, with no supporting evidence.

Last edited by Flashman; 11 November 2014, 12:41.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What receipts? They just invoice. That's what I do if I need to have the client reimburse my company for plane tickets.
    So the client relies on the agency to just guess the cost of the flights, and pays them without question?

You can add the exact sum to your invoice because you know what it cost you. If the client queried the cost, you would show them what it cost you. The agency cannot do that, they need to guess the cost and get the client to pay that, with no supporting evidence.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    The client are paying full expenses. The agency are just going to pocket the cash and pay you a flat rate.

Cynical? Nah.
    How would they get the receipts?

Leave a comment:

• sirja
    replied
    It also depends where in Europe. Not all European cities are properly served by budget airlines in terms of frequency. As others have said it all depends on the daily rate and how often you would be expected to be travel

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Had call from agent today - they are advertising a role which requires few days travel to European sites each month. Clientco though will not pay for these flights/accom. Agent explained that they are expecting the contractor to pay out of the contractor daily rate and they will also not budge on rate to accommodate.

I have not come across this before, expressed how ludicrous this sounds and politely declined to take the conversation any further.
    The client are paying full expenses. The agency are just going to pocket the cash and pay you a flat rate.

Cynical? Nah.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Rate was standard market rate from which flights would then be paid for out of.
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Quite, but I wouldn't want to be in that situation in the first place.
    True.

There's no such thing as "market rate" really though, is there? Especially for overseas work.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That's how psychocandy started out - it's a slippery slope...
    Nah he just loves to whinge and cause a stir so he can ge this post count up

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    What rate was on offer?

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    What rate was on offer?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Correct - I was just sharing the experience with my fellow forumers, as had not come across this situation before.
    That's how psychocandy started out - it's a slippery slope...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X