• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Would you ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you ?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Did you read the original post!?

It said WFH 1 day a week.

It said WFH, nothing about 1 day a week:

Originally posted by steve80 View Post
    WFH I do now but not allowed in this other job

Would you leave for extra money but lose WFH ?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30. As it is, I can drop the kids off at school, work 9-5:30, have an hour in comfort at lunch, and get an extra hour of family time before I would be home normally.

Of course you'll see the kids more as you'll be at home rather than sitting in your car!

It said WFH 1 day a week. In the grand scheme of things when you're WFH that day, you wont get the full 9 - 10 hours seeing the kids. You'll get 1 maybe 2 extra hours for that one day.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    +1 (although in every other gig where I've not been WFH, it's been a case of leave the house at 6am Monday morning and come home 7pm Friday night).

I drop my kids off in the morning, and pick them up most afternoons. I'm available for school meetings when they occur. I get to spend lunch with my wife watching TV. I can finish at a reasonable time and then cook tea if I want to. If there is an emergency, I can be there immediately to help.

These all make a difference. Plus, by working from home, I get a lie-in a bit more rather than having to avoid traffic. Also, last week when I got soaked through on the morning school run, I came home and spent the day in my onesie rather than having to get dressed again

Living the alpha male dream eh :-)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30. As it is, I can drop the kids off at school, work 9-5:30, have an hour in comfort at lunch, and get an extra hour of family time before I would be home normally.

Of course you'll see the kids more as you'll be at home rather than sitting in your car!
    +1 (although in every other gig where I've not been WFH, it's been a case of leave the house at 6am Monday morning and come home 7pm Friday night).

I drop my kids off in the morning, and pick them up most afternoons. I'm available for school meetings when they occur. I get to spend lunch with my wife watching TV. I can finish at a reasonable time and then cook tea if I want to. If there is an emergency, I can be there immediately to help.

These all make a difference. Plus, by working from home, I get a lie-in a bit more rather than having to avoid traffic. Also, last week when I got soaked through on the morning school run, I came home and spent the day in my onesie rather than having to get dressed again

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30.

Even that sounds like a luxury. I do 7:30 to 19:30-20:00 inclusive of 1.45 commute each way.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Personally, I dont see what WFH has to do with it either. If you're WFH you shouldnt be seeing the kids more, you're supposed to be working and in a 6 month contract the extra time seeing the kids during the WFH period would be minimal.
    I don't like WFH, and agree the working day should be used for that.

However, I'm assuming the OP makes the most of the fact that he/she is probably not leaving the house early/coming home late and is therefore able to see more of the kids during WFH days.

I WFH one day per week for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

Personally, I dont see what WFH has to do with it either. If you're WFH you shouldnt be seeing the kids more, you're supposed to be working and in a 6 month contract the extra time seeing the kids during the WFH period would be minimal.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I've found the train to be much better than the motorway system though to be fair I'd normally be taking the M25

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £100 on £600 is clearly less of a factor than £100 on £250.

I agree you shouldn't be seeing the kids while working but it does mean you potentially have up to 2hrs more at home when you're not working... plus you might see them at lunchtime, be able to work in the evening to free up your morning, etc.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by cherhill View Post
    I think I would do it if I was on a low rate to start with and this extra £100 would make a big differemce to my life. If I were on a rate that I thought was OK and I had some money to put away each month then I wouldn't bother. Working from home is priceless if you have a young family like I do.

So all depends on your circumstances to how you choose.
    Dont see what being on a low rate has to do with it. If you're on £350 a day and another role paying £100 a day more comes along (taking into account the conditions the OP stated ie same distance etc) why anyone would turn it down?

That's another 500 a week, another 13k over a 26 week contract.

Obviously each to their own though but yet again, this forum provides conflicting advice.

Leave a comment:

• cherhill
    replied
    I think I would do it if I was on a low rate to start with and this extra £100 would make a big differemce to my life. If I were on a rate that I thought was OK and I had some money to put away each month then I wouldn't bother. Working from home is priceless if you have a young family like I do.

So all depends on your circumstances to how you choose.

Leave a comment:

• steve80
    replied
    I've decided.... Staying put. £100 extra a day or see my three boys more? Family first WFH is golden

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I probably would but only if it wasn't going to burn bridges with my current place and if the cost still added up including WFH. I spend a substantial amount on travel, so my occasional WFH days are extremely profitable in comparison even though I don't really care for WFH in general.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Trains are unreliable in this country especially in winter. Frozen signals, leaves on the line, cracked rails...
    I've found the train to be much better than the motorway system though to be fair I'd normally be taking the M25

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by steve80 View Post
    I'm happy with my current gig
    Sounds like you are in a contract so the question is moot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X