• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Investment bank gig delay"

Collapse

• Buzy
    replied
    Starting gig there as well

Hi heyya99, I am just starting a new gig at UBS as well in the following weeks, do you have any advise? I presume you got some experience about landing there already

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    I start in my new gig soon. No banking experience. Do any of you know if there's anything I should do in preparation? I asked he agent what team I'll be on and he never found out for me. Or should I just wait and see?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    I have finally got clearance. Now I have the dilemma of moving or not.

Pros: finance experience, 100+ extra per day, good CV, god experience.
    Cons: longer hours, current gig relaxed, uncertainty.
    I'd go for the god experience every time. Can't beat living like a deity for a while.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Uncertainty can't be a con as it's common to both jobs surely?
    Some jobs have an obvious level of uncertainty from the start, whereas others either have no uncertainty or a degree of uncertainty that creeps in over time. It's the difference between having certain uncertainty and uncertain uncertainty. Don't get me started on having uncertain certainty, which is a whole other level of complexity. Of that, I'm certain.

D. Rumsfeld

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied

Uncertainty can't be a con as it's common to both jobs surely?

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    It can happen. I once waited 4 weeks for DB to approve a contract. Fortunately it was during my move from permiedom so was working all that time
    Only time I dealt with a bank and was interested was back in September 2001. Everything finished bar paperwork on September 9th (it was permie, lot of cash, for a US department, liaison between them and rest of world). September 15th got a phone call very sorry but....

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Agent rang on Friday asking was I still interested (yawn). He has no news but was going to chase the client that day. I said I've kind of gone off the idea because it looks like it could be December before I get the offer and he exclaimed 'haha, it won't be that long!'.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    It can happen. I once waited 4 weeks for DB to approve a contract. Fortunately it was during my move from permiedom so was working all that time

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Would the interviewer tell the agent and agent be peeved and end our association?
    The agent will blow hot and cold depending upon what titbits they get from ClientCo.
    If you believe that the agent are not being honest with you, go direct to see where you actually stand. The client may appreciate it or may not. It's a risk but it certainly wouldn't prevent you working with that agency again.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It doesn't sound good, if this was just a bureacratic hiccup the agent would be ringing you up apologising and trying to keep you on board.

This sounds more like the disappearing "rabbit".

To be honest you can try contacting the client but don't be surprised if he doesn't reply or comes back with a very vague answer.

On a general note Investment banks are not what they used to be, no-one makes tons of money any more and they're always trying to cut your rate or replace you, you might be better off where you are.

If there was a purchase order raised, which there obviously isn't, the agent would be all over you.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 September 2014, 21:16.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not really. I've done it in the past. Just claim the agent was unavailable and you needed to sort out where you're at with this application because as much as you'd like to take their project on, you've got something else on the table that you most likely wouldn't serve notice on if you take it and don't want to be left with neither in a couple of weeks.
    Would the interviewer tell the agent and agent be peeved and end our association?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I could contact the interviewer via Linked In but is that a bad move?
    Not really. I've done it in the past. Just claim the agent was unavailable and you needed to sort out where you're at with this application because as much as you'd like to take their project on, you've got something else on the table that you most likely wouldn't serve notice on if you take it and don't want to be left with neither in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I may be tempted to contact the client direct if I had contact details.
    I could contact the interviewer via Linked In but is that a bad move?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Its a Tom Jones. Not unusual.

But keep looking anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X