• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the worst interview you've ever had?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MojoDog View Post

+1 I think the Luftwaffe should have another go...
    Don't

I complained about Manchester city centre and then the IRA blew some of it up..........

Leave a comment:

• MojoDog
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Still, I got to see Coventry, which everybody should do once, in case they come back as a town planner in a future life

+1 I think the Luftwaffe should have another go...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Back in the late 90s an agent put me forward for a contract at Jaguar's R&D place in Coventry. At that time I'd yet to pass my driving test (I finally took it in 2001), but the gig seemed like a decent one and I lived one street away from a stop on an express bus route to the city, so I figured a bit of early rising would see me right - it wasn't far to walk from the city centre once I got there.

When I arrived for the interview and was shown in, the first thing the senior engineer asked me was how the drive down had been. I cheerfully explained that I didn't drive, but the trip by public transport had been fine.

He immediately got all arsey about this, apparently assuming I didn't drive because of some ecological agenda. He started making various sarcastic comments, ending with some crap along the lines of them being a very green organisation because it was their company colour - "Racing green, that is" - before the younger guy managed to get him back to the technical requirements for the role.

It turned out they were looking for a hard core Perl guy. I'd told the agent that I only had a bit of trivial experience with Perl, but he'd assured me that it was just a nice-to-have. Things quickly went even further downhill, and I was shown the door in short order.

Still, I got to see Coventry, which everybody should do once, in case they come back as a town planner in a future life

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    "Any remaining Interview time that would otherwise be wasted on chatting can be spent sitting quietly avoiding eye contact."

Brilliant.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    "How is this an issue? Just ask ten ******* interview questions."

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    What if they used Lie Detectors in interviews lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjVVNuraly8

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by kal View Post
    Some would argue that the worst kind of interview is the one that goes well but you hear nothing, maybe the interviewer was having 'fun' with him...
    Nope the interview still went well in his eyes, it's the outcome that's bad.

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Some would argue that the worst kind of interview is the one that goes well but you hear nothing, maybe the interviewer was having 'fun' with him...
    but this doesn't seem to be the case if we stay with what spar wrote...
    good effort though

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    read the title of the thread...

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Originally posted by spar View Post
    I had an interview with a product and services company. The interview went quite well.
    read the title of the thread...

Leave a comment:

• spar
    replied
    Worst Interview

I had an interview with a product and services company. The interview went quite well.

After the interview the pimp called me and here the conversation:

Pimp: XYZ are very impressed with your skills and experience.
    Me: Great ! So whats the next step?
    Pimp: I don't know
    Me: Could you find out
    <end of conversation>

The pimp did not get back to me. I emailed him 3 days later to which he replied he is still awaiting a response from his client. No communication after that.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    I went for a permie interview in the mid 80's, approx 50 miles from home. About a mile from the client my crappy car broke down. I stood at a bus stop in the pissing rain for about half an hour without a coat before catching the bus to the client's. When I got into the interview the room was roasting and I was literally steaming. The interviewer didn't even offer me a coffee, and I did the interview sniffing and coughing. Needless to say I didn't get the job.

5 years later I got a contract at the same place which lasted 6 years, so it turned out well in the end.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Once got rung about a contract requiring SAP. Pointed out to the agent on several occasions that I didn't know any SAP, hence it wasn't mentioned on my CV. She went off to check with the client who said this was ok as they were happy to teach me it.

Went off to the interview which seemed to involve him talking about SAP a lot. Other than this it seemed to go quite well so I was quietly confident.

Got telephoned the next day and told I hadn't got it due to not knowing SAP. I might have sworn at this point.

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Are you sure he wasn't being interviewed by you, judging by your other posts on this thread it sounds like rejecting the poor bloke at stage 11 of a 12 stage interview would fit your warped desire to 'to mess around/have fun with your interviewees'...
    Nope, I'm not an HR person.

Plus 12 stages sounds like a lot of work to me...I'd never do that

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    She lied to you. They're HR, they don't understand things..
    Are you sure he wasn't being interviewed by you, judging by your other posts on this thread it sounds like rejecting the poor bloke at stage 11 of a 12 stage interview would fit your warped desire to 'to mess around/have fun with your interviewees'...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X