• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Muppet

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Muppet"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

A Brexit bonus for the Spanish then. They can finally get rid of the pesky British pensioners who are only there for the weather (and the villains who've run out of money).
    hey lots of cheap houses coming up in spain, maybe we can send all the Asylum people fleeing the EU in rubber Dinghies over there, has someone told Priti?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Spain requires a minimum income or pension of 2,000 Euros per month. As the UK state pension is one of the lowest in Europe, it will not suffice.
    A Brexit bonus for the Spanish then. They can finally get rid of the pesky British pensioners who are only there for the weather (and the villains who've run out of money).

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Spain requires a minimum income or pension of 2,000 Euros per month. As the UK state pension is one of the lowest in Europe, it will not suffice.
    Briton are 3rd World people, on 3rd World income, trying to live in a 1st World country.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

From what I've read, you now need to prove that you can financially support yourself to be allowed to stay. Many brits living over there may have little more than the state pension, and I don't know if that would be enough to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I thought AtW was an illegal? But it is only a flat over a kebab shop, he's a bit of a let down compared to what his compatriots buy in Mayfair.
    They tried everything to get rid of him even sent him to the Palace so her Maj could tell him off but apparently we gave him residence. I reckon he will be Andy's alibi when he was working at the Pizza place

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

In theory any overstayers should be picked up when they next leave the country and, I presume, banned from returning.
    From the entire Schengen area, no less.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Scum..

(That's you by the way for poisoning the police.)
    I am the daddy...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Hoping the EU take a very detailed look at all Brits there. Ideally an annual audit and compliance check until they gain citizenship there. Any doubt, straight to airport and flight to UK for handover.
    In theory any overstayers should be picked up when they next leave the country and, I presume, banned from returning.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Hoping the EU take a very detailed look at all Brits there. Ideally an annual audit and compliance check until they gain citizenship there. Any doubt, straight to airport and flight to UK for handover.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    From what I've read, it sounds like some Brits have been living in Spain without ever applying for residency (ie. under the radar). I think you're supposed to apply within 3 months of moving to Spain.

Unfortunately, now that we've left the EU, it appears that they are being treated as visitors with no automatic right to stay, even though they were "living" in Spain prior to the end of the transition period. They can still apply for residency but the bar is set much higher now that we're a 3rd country.

Apparently, one reason for not applying for residency was to avoid Spanish taxes. Another reason was so people could still access the NHS and not have to pay for private health care in Spain.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Don't they have the right to stay there (as EU citizens who were here before 31st Dec have the right to stay in the UK)?
    Yes they have the right if they apply before 31st December, prove they have lived there for 5 years (just like EU nationals living in the UK) and some other requirements like having private healthcare, it looks like in the OPs example they couldn't prove all the requirements and their application was rejected

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Don't they have the right to stay there (as EU citizens who were here before 31st Dec have the right to stay in the UK)?
    It's a yes, but.

I did read up on it but have since forgotten the details.

I know, it's this kind of detailed insight that's needed round these parts. Happy to be of service.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I think he meant illegal immigrants in Spain (Brits) moving back to the UK. I doubt they'll all be buying houses though because you can't swap a Spanish villa for much over here.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Free kebabs to police innit...
    Scum..

(That's you by the way for poisoning the police.)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I thought AtW was an illegal? But it is only a flat over a kebab shop, he's a bit of a let down compared to what his compatriots buy in Mayfair.
    Free kebabs to police innit...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X