• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    He got what he voted for being his own demise

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Some more fishing news

Fishing News

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you've not met many fishermen have you?

The guys down Hull docks with the signboards saying "Hello Sailor" aren't real fishermen you know.

GJABS googles cost of train ticket to Hull...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    ah remoaners making tulip up. Its sad.
    you've not met many fishermen have you?

The guys down Hull docks with the signboards saying "Hello Sailor" aren't real fishermen you know.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    It's all the fault of remoaners ..... if we knew this back in 2016 the remoaners should have said so, then the Brexidiots could have voted with the full facts at their fingertips

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Chancellor announces 'Brexit red tape challenge' - FTAdviser.com

Boris Johnson's claim of EU 'red tape' is actually a UK rule | Newstalk

The Reality of Red Tape in post-Brexit Britain | Rosenblatt

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Cornwall fisherman says Brexit export costs are 'a kick in the teeth'

Mr Trust voted for Brexit in 2016 - but said the leave campaign duped them.

A fisherman has had to stop exporting to Europe because of high costs and red tape brought on by Brexit.

Andy Trust, owner of Ocean Harvest in Looe, said in a normal year around 30 per cent of his company’s sales would be exports markets in France, Spain and Italy.

But ever since the Brexit transition period ended, with the UK now operating on its own trade agreement decided in late December 2020, Mr Trust has not been able to sell a single fish at an EU country.

“The cost of red tape is just too expensive,” he said, “You can’t sell there as a smaller merchant.

“For the last 20 years you could put fish in a box, load it into a lorry and off it goes.

“Now, it’s getting pulled up in Boulogne and turned away for the smallest thing.

“They’re inspecting it, with lorries delayed for three, four, even ten hours - if the fish even make it at all.

“It’s been a kick in the teeth.”

According to Mr Trust, a 200kg shipment to the EU used to cost him around £70 in fees.

Now it’s closer to £220, which he said is not worth shipping.

Ocean Harvest is a relatively small-scale wholesaler, which aims to sell fresh fish within a day of them being caught.

Mr Trust said the current trading agreement punishes small-scale exporters like him, while larger companies which can send off tonnes of product per day are still able to keep going.

The agreement included a section on fishing which would expand the amount of product which UK fisheries could take.

However, it was less of an increase than expected and, now, smaller exporters are finding the drawbacks of expensive import fees not worth the increase in quota.

Mr Trust added the only viable way for his company to start exporting to Europe again would be to hire a permanent fiscal representative in France to sort out the paperwork on the EU side.

But this would cost around ten thousand euros per year, with a hefty start-up fee.

“Boris keeps talking about getting the quotas back in five years - but, there won’t be a fishing industry in the five years at this rate.”

Alongside 90 per cent of the fishing industry across the UK, Mr Trust voted for Brexit in 2016 - but said the leave campaign duped them.

“When they were talking about increasing the quotas, making our own decisions, that sounded good.

“And they had a big red bus which said they’d fund the NHS, that sounded good.

“I fell for it. I didn’t realise, and I’m shooting myself in the bloody foot.”

“Given a second chance I wouldn’t have voted for it, it’s totally buggered me up and it’s geared for people selling multiple tonnes of fish.

“It will cost jobs.”

Mr Trust's cousin, Ian Perkes, in Brixham, recently said he was having similar problems with his own fishing business, explaining his regrets regarding voting for Brexit.

"The reality is we’re now January 20, we’ve yet to send a consignment to Europe from Brixham. It’s just been an absolute nightmare," he said.

"Forty four years I’ve been selling fish and overnight it’s pretty much been destroyed. I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel."

Paul Trebilcock, chief executive of the Cornish Fish Producers Organisation (CFPO), said his worries back in December about the trade agreement's effects on the fishing industry have come true.

"There have been significant problems since the start of the year," he said.

"Some it was expected, additional paperwork because we're outside the EU. but the level and complexity of that additional paperwork has been huge."

The CFPO represents the fishing industry in Cornwall, and has been meeting with the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) to bring Cornish fishermen's concerns to the government's attention.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    The controls will come in when the lockdown partially ends and warehouses have been emptied after stockpiling. That is when the fun and games begin...people all out and shopping as the government want them to go out and spend all that money they've been saving to boost the economy ...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    You're 100% correct. Brexit is going so well. SME's are not suffering at all.

Imports to EU is problematic due to new controls. Food is rotting. UK fish exports are a shambles.

But, as you note, we in the UK are not seeing any issues with food coming into the UK. It's all running smoothly ..... but then, we haven't put any controls in place yet. The UK govt are still effectively running things as if we were still in the EU.

But of course, you knew this .... right?

Brexit: How much disruption has there been so far? - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    They’re mostly dribbling racist brexit loving twats. Not many fishermen remoaners exist.

**** ‘em...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Feck these small family run businesses. They should have been better prepared. They knew Brexit was coming. Bloody remoaners.

On a positive note, I bought a loaf of bread this week so I'm alright Lovely turnip sandwich for tea tonight
    They’re mostly dribbling racist brexit loving twats. Not many fishermen remoaners exist.

**** ‘em...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    71 pages; about the size a case bundle for the County Court.
    With the same probability of winning (paperwork being accepted)...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Feck these small family run businesses. They should have been better prepared. They knew Brexit was coming. Bloody remoaners.

On a positive note, I bought a loaf of bread this week so I'm alright Lovely turnip sandwich for tea tonight

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    71 pages; about the size a case bundle for the County Court.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish

Only posted as proof that AtW is not updating us properly on fishing threads....

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish - BBC News

Working...
X