• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: All hail brexit

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "All hail brexit"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    So the best you can claim is that Brexit has made no difference in fruit and veg supply but that come with a price increase and a huge sacrifice of businesses moving to the EU.

No I know the remainers are simple folk so I only challenge one of their idiocies at a time. The current one is that there is massive disruption and fresh food shortages immediately after brexit. Its gone from being expected on Jan the 1st to somewhere around July according to the brain trust on here.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It is like they are mocking the remainers. Have they no mercy?

Shelves full of fruit & veg what strange magic is this?

Or is the drought not hitting till July when the UK turns on the customs checks?
    So the best you can claim is that Brexit has made no difference in fruit and veg supply but that come with a price increase and a huge sacrifice of businesses moving to the EU.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It is like they are mocking the remainers. Have they no mercy?

Shelves full of fruit & veg what strange magic is this?

Or is the drought not hitting till July when the UK turns on the customs checks?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That technically isn't true.

Some types of trade are being more done in Europe but not all.

Sadly I can't find a less partisan point of view (pro Brexit) but the gist is that there's lots of trade still going through London and it's not dead yet.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...taken-the-city

As with all things, there's always going to be a statistic or metric to support a particular point of view.
    Sure but shrinking fast.

City of londons brexit tab rises with stock and swaps moves

Brexit is a body blow to the London financial center,” Xavier Rolet, former head of London Stock Exchange Group Plc, said in an interview. “I’m very deeply worried that Brexit is going to kill the golden goose and we are already seeing the first signs that this has started to happen."
    The thing is by being the European financial centre gave London a strong basis to build further International trade. If a bank is doing all its European trade there then it makes sense to move other trade. In 2015 Goldman Sachs was planning to move its global trading to London. The phone in our office was off the hook as recruiters offered huge salaries to lure us there. Now London has bits and pieces of trade, Why go there when you can carry out trading in New York or Singapore.

The focus is now on Grimsby. Maybe it will replace London as the "Golden Goose". If the paperwork strangles fresh veg imports then maybe everyone will be forced onto a shell fish diet.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 February 2021, 12:24.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The import controls get slapped on in July. Then we'll see whether the fresh veg survives the onslaught of paperwork. Meanwhile the City is shrinking fast since all the trading moved to Amsterdam.
    That technically isn't true.

Some types of trade are being more done in Europe but not all.

Sadly I can't find a less partisan point of view (pro Brexit) but the gist is that there's lots of trade still going through London and it's not dead yet.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...taken-the-city

As with all things, there's always going to be a statistic or metric to support a particular point of view.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The import controls get slapped on in July. Then we'll see whether the fresh veg survives the onslaught of paperwork. Meanwhile the City is shrinking fast since all the trading moved to Amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I haven't been to a supermarket in ages.

I was a bit narked that Waitrose didn't deliver any kale or parsnips yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Last two visits to Tesco, hardly any choice of fruits, only grapes which were spread over loads of shelves to make it look they had plenty
    where are you Brussels?

plenty of choice round here.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    It happened again, went to the supermarket for medicine. lo & behold it had Fruit & Veg throughout boxes & boxes of it.

I must be fantasising! pinch me!
    Last two visits to Tesco, hardly any choice of fruits, only grapes which were spread over loads of shelves to make it look they had plenty

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Looks like Indian IT consultancies will be given greater access to the UK as part of a new deal, which wouldn't have been possible before Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Where?

We have already seen 2 massive benefits of Brexit - Vaccines & not signing a trade agreement with China without any human rights clauses. Not bad for a month!
    How was I wrong? I said the EU has an agreement with China which is light on human rights. We don't.
    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    No you weren't, you were talking about the benefits of Brexit and it was wrong as usual

How was I wrong? I said the EU has an agreement with China which is light on human rights. We don't.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    No you weren't, you were talking about the benefits of Brexit and it was wrong as usual
    Are you saying the EU will block their agreement in principle?

Has anyone in the EU attempted to?

I was talking about the EU deal first then you deflected with the UK one. Do keep up.

Basically you are confused.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    You put forward a figure presented a group with an ulterior motive. A figure that is obviously inflated. I asked you to defend it, you haven't been able to, you just insulted me which is normal for most remainers. If we farmed them we could grow lovely roses.

The rules are now the same as most other countries which people like M&S have years of experience exporting to, yet their exports are being delayed and turned away. do you wonder why?
    Why not do a quick read on why M&S, like most UK export businesses, are having goods turned away, delayed or with significant extra costs?

It's because of brexit. Let me say that one more time in case you missed it.

It's because of brexit.

The EU has always had these rules on imports. The UK should have known this as we were inside the EU and helped to implement these rules.

But, we decided to sign a trade deal that forced extra red tape and costs onto UK companies, just to appease brexidiots who lack understanding of even simple trade concepts. Even companies/industries that were behind brexit are caught out - well, the Tories did lie to them but hey, that's Ok isn't it so long as we get blue passports.

You was duped mate. Wake up and smell the roses that are thriving in the pile of manure the Tories laid down

Leave a comment:

Working...
X