• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit fury as EU judges' orders to be enforceable in UK"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    OTOH a lot more of the catch is to be landed in the UK, which means there is a starting point for UK Fisheries to build on.
    COTY post!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    of course

Angry, disappointed and betrayed’: Fishing industry attacks Johnson over Brexit trade deal

...and if the UK strays from the straight and narrow the EU will be down on them like a ton of bricks. So sayeth the trade deal.
    Yeah yeah. We don't actually have a fishing industry, all that's happening right now is the people who wanted to take over the licences at bargain basement prices won't be able to for a few more years. Nothing to do with the very few trading fishermen (almost all of whom are in Scotland, whic is opposed to accepting the deal anyway - according to Wee Burnie).

OTOH a lot more of the catch is to be landed in the UK, which means there is a starting point for UK Fisheries to build on.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Jesus.

We used to be the lunatics.
    Whatever, I'm looking forward to see the implementation of it in the coming months.

If it all goes smoothly there will barely be a ripple in the press and everyone will have a great time in the pub discussing their new found sovereignty.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Expert on Talk Radio just confirmed if the UK opts in to any of the EU programmes outlined in the deal then the ECJ comes back into play. That is to be negotiated in the coming weeks, months etc. The deal just states that's what happens if the UK opts in.

"Fireworks"

Jesus.

We used to be the lunatics.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Metric ton of bricks

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Someone else who doesn't understand gamesmanship. And it was the EU that caved, not the UK
    of course

Angry, disappointed and betrayed’: Fishing industry attacks Johnson over Brexit trade deal

...and if the UK strays from the straight and narrow the EU will be down on them like a ton of bricks. So sayeth the trade deal.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Someone else who doesn't understand gamesmanship. And it was the EU that caved, not the UK

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It was interesting though to see Boris do a U turn on the internal market bill after the EU read him the riot act.

A sign of things to come that the UK can't simply do what it likes.

UK MUST follow EU rules! Leo Varadkar says Brussels has power to BLOCK Britain from market

The more you look into it the more it appears like "Associate Membership"

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Expert on Talk Radio just confirmed if the UK opts in to any of the EU programmes outlined in the deal then the ECJ comes back into play. That is to be negotiated in the coming weeks, months etc. The deal just states that's what happens if the UK opts in.

"Fireworks"

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It was interesting though to see Boris do a U turn on the internal market bill after the EU read him the riot act.

A sign of things to come that the UK can't simply do what it likes.

UK MUST follow EU rules! Leo Varadkar says Brussels has power to BLOCK Britain from market

The more you look into it the more it appears like "Associate Membership"

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    but it also says "stemming from the Union", which our stuff doesn't. It also says "other than states", so it applies only to organisations and individuals. IT also doesn't say "enforceable", implying that the decisions may be binding but they can't do much about it other than refusing that particular piece of business.

I also suspect you will find the same wording in their existing trade agreements with states other than the UK.

Or do you really seriously believe that our team failed to discuss the matter of mutuality and penalties, thinking perhaps that there is no place for such debate in formulating and agreeing an overarching trade agreement?

As I said earlier - you choose your own viewpoint if it makes you happy. As will I.
    I am not sure this would be suprising.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I believe the text in the trade agreement.

As the trade agreement says, decisions by the European Commission will be enforceable in the UK.
    but it also says "stemming from the Union", which our stuff doesn't. It also says "other than states", so it applies only to organisations and individuals. IT also doesn't say "enforceable", implying that the decisions may be binding but they can't do much about it other than refusing that particular piece of business.

I also suspect you will find the same wording in their existing trade agreements with states other than the UK.

Or do you really seriously believe that our team failed to discuss the matter of mutuality and penalties, thinking perhaps that there is no place for such debate in formulating and agreeing an overarching trade agreement?

As I said earlier - you choose your own viewpoint if it makes you happy. As will I.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

As the trade agreement says, decisions by the European Commission will be enforceable in the UK.
    Mal doesn’t like believing that sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No it's not. Even if it were, the UK will be in a position to ignore the ECJ, just like it can ignore every other national judiciary if it chooses.
    Yeah, that works well.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    No it's not. Even if it were, the UK will be in a position to ignore the ECJ, just like it can ignore every other national judiciary if it chooses. These are about arbitrated trading arrangements, not laws.

But hey, you believe what you like if it makes you happy.

Decisions adopted by the European Commission imposing a pecuniary obligation on legal or natural persons other than States in relation to any claims stemming from Union programmes, activities, actions or projects shall be enforceable in the United Kingdom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X