• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Loss of EU citizenship referred to the ECJ"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    How can one be a citizen of something which isn't a country?
    Virginia Law

The Constitution of Virginia defines and limits the powers of state government and the basic rights of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Like all other state constitutions, it is supreme over Virginia's laws and acts of government, though it may be superseded by the United States Constitution and U.S. federal law. Updated annually after legislative session.
    Brexit cretin dispatched.

NEXT!

Leave a comment:

• zerosum
    replied
    I think we know what's coming, this case should be very interesting.
    I don't think citizenship would be retained, necessarily. But look at the Withdrawal Agreement. This allows UK and EU citizens that have exercised their freedom of movement rights before the end of the transition period to retain those rights (for UK citizens, it has to be in one chosen EU state), providing they build towards permanent residency. But some rights were lost -- onward freedom of movement and the right to vote. It's not impossible that the ECJ could rule that the loss of these rights, having once been exercised, was disproportionate and I think that's what the case aims at.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Easy. In Switzerland, Swissies are citizens of their community first, from this they derive cantonal citizenship and from that they derive Swiss citizenship. In the same way, being a citizen of a country in the EU gives EU citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    How can a non-existent (has not even got passports for its citizens) country be part of the World Cup?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    There have been a number of court cases, but this is the first that has been referred to the ECJ. It particularly concerns those who exercised their freedom of movement rights (i.e. moved to an EU country legally and registered, on the basis of work/study/retirement/dossing around but without sponging). The complainant in this case now has no right to vote anywhere.
    EU's top court asked to rule on Britons' EU citizenship
    I think we know what's coming, this case should be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    But up to fifteen years out of the UK, they could vote in UK national elections.

This ECJ thing is weird though. Last time I was allowed to vote was some referendum or something back in 2016. I've just applied for citizenship of the country in which I live. Easy.
    That's a decision by the UK government not the EU if Brits can't vote in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It has always been the case that Brits didn't have a vote in national elections even before the UK left the EU. The best you can expect is a decision to allow Brits to take part in local elections as they could as EU citizens, though I don't see that happening. I don't see this will confer any rights to work or move freely within the EU.
    But up to fifteen years out of the UK, they could vote in UK national elections.

This ECJ thing is weird though. Last time I was allowed to vote was some referendum or something back in 2016. I've just applied for citizenship of the country in which I live. Easy.

Leave a comment:

• zerosum
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It has always been the case that Brits didn't have a vote in national elections even before the UK left the EU. The best you can expect is a decision to allow Brits to take part in local elections as they could as EU citizens, though I don't see that happening. I don't see this will confer any rights to work or move freely within the EU.
    I agree it's unlikely, but the ECJ ruling that Britain could unilaterally revoke Article 50 was also unlikely, a bombshell. There are crazier ideas than that those who have actually exercised their freedom of movement rights before Brexit should not have them stripped because of some populist BS.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zerosum
    started a topic Loss of EU citizenship referred to the ECJ

Loss of EU citizenship referred to the ECJ

There have been a number of court cases, but this is the first that has been referred to the ECJ. It particularly concerns those who exercised their freedom of movement rights (i.e. moved to an EU country legally and registered, on the basis of work/study/retirement/dossing around but without sponging). The complainant in this case now has no right to vote anywhere.
    EU's top court asked to rule on Britons' EU citizenship

Working...
X