• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brace yourselves for the Spam"

Collapse

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    Sure, but technologies to be able to process large amounts of data, derive information from it, large easily available clusters have only taken ground recently.
    It is indeed the product of my deranged mind but I think you'd be very wrong to think that those things don't happen and no protection at all would be better than even the lightest framework that we can built upon.
    Are you aware, that your Bank, eBay, Amazon, etc. all do this with your explicit permission, as per their T&Cs? i.e. profile your spending habits, to target you better...

I think you'd be very wrong to think that you can do anything remotely useful to stop it, except not using the services of those companies, but not using a bank will be especially tricky for most, who want the convenience of having wages paid to them etc.

Hey ho, enjoy yourself

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Sure, but technologies to be able to process large amounts of data, derive information from it, large easily available clusters have only taken ground recently.
    It is indeed the product of my deranged mind but I think you'd be very wrong to think that those things don't happen and no protection at all would be better than even the lightest framework that we can built upon.
    Really?

GCHQ and the NSA have been doing that kind of tulip for decades.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bean View Post
    An example;

Facebook went global: 2006
    GDPR "went live": 2016

A decade, before Brexit, but please...continue your ill-informed postings

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Beer in ‘Spoons tastes the same...
    Fear of foreiners being left at wild out there doing whatever foreiners do is worth loosing a lil bit of privacy here and there and companies selling your data to be able to profile your psychology and spending habits and line their pockets.
    Winning the right way!
    An example;

Facebook went global: 2006
    GDPR "went live": 2016

A decade, before Brexit, but please...continue your ill-informed postings

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Beer in ‘Spoons tastes the same...
    Fear of foreiners being left at wild out there doing whatever foreiners do is worth loosing a lil bit of privacy here and there and companies selling your data to be able to profile your psychology and spending habits and line their pockets.
    Winning the right way!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Of course owners of big data apps want to see GDPR rules abolished. :

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    You're an interesting specimen.

Not so long ago you were a semi-rational human being, with diverse viewpoints and a very different posting methodology.

These days you come across as a short sighted moron who lacks the ability to critical analyse information at your disposal.

GDPR has clearly empowered individuals to fire off a GDPR erasure request that must be followed by the recipient business. I receive no junk mail or spam these days and it's put recruitment agents in their place too. Opt in, as with the organ donors register, is excellent.

I'm presuming you had a mental breakdown a couple of years ago and 'something' happened to you. I hope you get better eventually; seems a sad loss to have turned into this negative unknowing sort of poster.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    GDPR had zero effect on spam - even from supposedly legit companies that actually identify themselves, it’s a fooking waste of money, I hope Boris scraps that piece of tulip of legislation
    You're an interesting specimen.

Not so long ago you were a semi-rational human being, with diverse viewpoints and a very different posting methodology.

These days you come across as a short sighted moron who lacks the ability to critical analyse information at your disposal.

GDPR has clearly empowered individuals to fire off a GDPR erasure request that must be followed by the recipient business. I receive no junk mail or spam these days and it's put recruitment agents in their place too. Opt in, as with the organ donors register, is excellent.

I'm presuming you had a mental breakdown a couple of years ago and 'something' happened to you. I hope you get better eventually; seems a sad loss to have turned into this negative unknowing sort of poster.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    GDPR had zero effect on spam - even from supposedly legit companies that actually identify themselves, it’s a fooking waste of money, I hope Boris scraps that piece of tulip of legislation

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Well it can't sit in the EU for various reasons (to do with the EU) and without a UK data center there aren't many places the data can go.

On the other hand the ability to combine all the devices a user has as a single target will do wonders for remarketing campaigns...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    started a topic Brace yourselves for the Spam

Brace yourselves for the Spam

And snooping and invasion of privacy and whatever else Uncle Sam wants to do.

Google's decision to shift control of UK user data to the US looks like a calculated political bet that Brexit will be a privacy disaster

Working...
X