• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Keep music British!"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Most band sthat I know that play the local gig circuit get £150-£250 for a single 90 minute set or a couple of 45 minute sets with a break in between, depending whether the establishment is putting on food or not. If it's a ticketed gig, the band often gets x tickets and gets to keep 50% of the ticket sales. Perhaps sticking to your own country and setting up a youtube channel and patreon account for a live-streamed gig would be better - a bit like gamers getting paid via twitch?

They are essentially amateur bands, they don't make a living from it. The professional bands play bigger venues weddings etc, where they earn substantially more. There aren't enough gigs paying enough locally, as you could only appear once a year so you need to prepared to go anywhere in Europe. They also do the lower paying gigs but you need several high paying gigs a month.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Most band sthat I know that play the local gig circuit get £150-£250 for a single 90 minute set or a couple of 45 minute sets with a break in between, depending whether the establishment is putting on food or not. If it's a ticketed gig, the band often gets x tickets and gets to keep 50% of the ticket sales. Perhaps sticking to your own country and setting up a youtube channel and patreon account for a live-streamed gig would be better - a bit like gamers getting paid via twitch?
    Yup - £150-£250 is what I'd consider "petrol money" i.e. £30-40 per person is not enough to cover driving to a gig, the time spent setting up, wear & tear etc

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's the whole belief thing that musical instruments weigh nothing, cost nothing, take up no space, transport themselves to locations, set themselves up and work at the right levels.
    And that gigging musicians make a fortune.

Not sure about you, but most non-ticketed venues I've played at (i.e. pubs), you might get a meal, you'll get a couple of beers per person, and maybe some petrol money.
    That's how it works in Nashville as well. The bands do not get paid to play in the bars. They turn up, set their tip bucket at the front of the stage, then play for an hour.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bean View Post
    Australia, Canada & United States have freedom of movement with the EU?

Wonderful...
    You'd need to ask OPM - he's the one who wants to travel the world to see bands that aren't British and won't be performing in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Ah, freedom of movement - a wonderful thing.
    Australia, Canada & United States have freedom of movement with the EU?

Wonderful...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

But if I did I would check to see whether they plan on touring the UK and if not see where they are touring and go visit that country.

I can go to the music as much as expect the music to come to me.

Ah, freedom of movement - a wonderful thing.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    geez, you're as tedious as John the Bike and Rogerfederererererererererer

FFS.
    Put me on ignore then, problem solved - why continue to whine like an old woman?

Are you an old woman?, in which case, I apologise, I forgive old women for whining - they've lived through a lot!

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14

FFS.
    It's the whole belief thing that musical instruments weigh nothing, cost nothing, take up no space, transport themselves to locations, set themselves up and work at the right levels.

Not sure about you, but most non-ticketed venues I've played at (i.e. pubs), you might get a meal, you'll get a couple of beers per person, and maybe some petrol money.
    That's how it works in Nashville as well. The bands do not get paid to play in the bars. They turn up, set their tip bucket at the front of the stage, then play for an hour.
    By your own weird logic, you shouldn't reply to that post - as BR14 was replying to me
    (Or did you assume he meant you as he mentioned 'tedious'?)

Maybe you could do with a break off this forum?

PS. You haven't answered any of my questions, or retracted your completely refuted, false claims about my derailing the thread

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Do you only want to allow the UK public to listen to UK bands?
    Most of the music I listen to is via Amazon Music/Youtube/Radio so it's made all over the world.

Not really come across any bands who do not tour the UK who I would want to go and see....

But if I did I would check to see whether they plan on touring the UK and if not see where they are touring and go visit that country.

I can go to the music as much as expect the music to come to me.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Yopu would earn loads of money. Just add a note saying you will stop when there are enough tips.....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Do we have a shortage of UK bands?
    Do you only want to allow the UK public to listen to UK bands?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Do we have a shortage of UK bands?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post

FFS.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    You seem to have some bizarre thought, that on an open forum, specific posts should only be answered by specific people.

Did you see that LondonManc replied (post 73) to your reply to me (72)?

You then continued that conversation (75) and I jumped back in, when I had some time & logged in again.

I asked follow-up questions, to evaluate some claims you seem to be making.

As for how much they are paid - unsure, depends on their contracts/negotiation/offered - does it not?

You never answered if you could deduct costs from taxes and thus, make them relatively moot...

Do the EU allow musicians from outside the EU to travel freely and perform in the EU, or will we simply apply similar rules, that already exist.

but for context, you said in response to me;

So in your direct reply to me, you made some statements, which I then followed up on and you now accuse me of derailing the thread?
    Time to bring back the emoticons for you, you triggered child

Still, that's your prerogative, after all - no fellow mod will snip or ban you for posting pish
    Ah so, the cost of VISAs to non-EU countries didn't put you off then? Fantastic, nor should it EU performers

Did you offset costs against taxes/compensation?

You literally asked me how much people get paid etc etc, and then accuse me of derailing when I ask how much you got?
    again, you are a triggered man-child

FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Oh, and yes, bean, I've played and received recompense in various countries around the world. Off the top of my head, they include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Ireland, Italy, United Kingdom & United States.

The biggest crowd I've played to was about 2,000 and the most I've been paid was around $3,000 - of which around $2,800 went on travel and accommodation)

But that's completely irrelevant to this thread, no matter how much you like derailing discussions.
    Ah so, the cost of VISAs to non-EU countries didn't put you off then? Fantastic, nor should it EU performers

Did you offset costs against taxes/compensation?

You literally asked me how much people get paid etc etc, and then accuse me of derailing when I ask how much you got?
    again, you are a triggered man-child

Leave a comment:

Working...
X