• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So Hard Brexit It Is!"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    He's got you there, Scooter.

And anyway I'm a boomer and all my friends are. Most of us did not vote for Brexit. One did but he is schizophrenic and thinks the EU are out to get him, One doesn't like the country being turned into a concrete jungle through immigration. The third - well he's never explained why he voted and now seems to regard Brexit as a strange phenomenon totally unrelated to the cross he put on the ballot paper.

You are probably right that old people are more likely to be Homo Brexitis but it's not fair to tarnish all us boomers with the same brush.
    They are old enough to remember the days when they were able to vote for the people who ran the country?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Voted in a stupid way IN YOUR OPINION.

EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion. There was not enough evidence presented to the public in a meaningful way. Brexiters were unfairly never warned that brown people aren't from eastern Europe and Remainers were never warned that they'd still be allowed to cross the channel after Brexit.
    But I may not be able to work there after January 1st 2021 because my passport will be the wrong colour...

And I have worked in Germany, Austria, Bulgaria and Denmark since the referendum...

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    rom CityAM Monday: Sir Charlie Bean, former deputy governor of the Bank and one of Britain’s most respected economists, says

He's barking up the wrong tree. Brexit is somewhat like the UK/USA productivity problem - it is causing slowly declining living standards for the majority of the population. You could question whether the hard Brexit we are now facing won't actually be more disruptive but that's not the big issue.

The big issue is 17 million people voted in a completely stupid way, contrary to all the evidence presented unambiguously to them. That ticking time bomb was always frightening. It still is, but of course it has already created a massive explosion - the equally stupid voting in of the Boris/Cummings Junta. Goodness know what damage that is going to cause. So Sir Charlie really needed to comment on how secondary Brexit effects compare to productivity stagnation.

As an aside: productivity stagnation has been shown to be caused by a severe drop in tangible investment (in the UK and USA) from somewhere around 2000. The only measures that will correct this are exactly contrary to the right-wing, low-tax, free-market, mantras traditionally spewed out by the Tories and particularly so with the current encumbents of 10 Downing Street.
    Are you stating, that you think there's an argument to be had with Charlie Bean ("whether the hard Brexit we are now facing won't actually be more disruptive but that's not the big issue.")

Thought you remain voters were the ones who looked to 'experts' to guide you?

Is that no longer the case? or,
    Are you not a remain voter, or
    Do you not respect him now?
    or other? please specify...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion. There was not enough evidence presented to the public in a meaningful way. Brexiters were unfairly never warned that brown people aren't from eastern Europe and Remainers were never warned that they'd still be allowed to cross the channel after Brexit.
    I am fu$$!!g well experienced in crossing the English Channel and driving in Europe prior to the EU and the Common Market. I needed 2 x IDPs, a carnet for the car, a petrol book for Italy and Green Card Insurance.
    When in the EU I can decide to get in the car and drive to Europe without restrictions and even get a job and work upon arrival. All that has now gone thanks to idiots like you

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    There was not enough evidence presented to the public.
    Well that's an interesting perspective. Sentient voters would know there was nothing particularly wrong with the EU relationship. They would have also realised that nobody, but nobody, was coming up with a single advantage in leaving. They would have guessed any trade opportunities with anyone anywhere had already been facilitated for decades. We wouldn't be able to find any better deals. And whatever had stopped us taking advantages, would continue to do so. So sentient people were not deflected by lack of evidence. In fact it only strengthened their understanding that this was just a gigantic con.

Presumably by your argument the Brexiteers didn't have that type of reasoning capability. They were confused by the lack of information so they took a random bet.

Don't you see the danger here?? You're in a car accident. They whisk you into the operating theatre. The surgeon unfortunately is a Brexiteer (Homo Brexitis). He doesn't quite know what's wrong so he goes "OK let's have his legs off!"

All I'm going to say is "Drive carefully..."

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    EVERYONE voted in a stupid way in my opinion.
    Briliant.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    He's barking up the wrong tree. Brexit is somewhat like the UK/USA productivity problem - it is causing slowly declining living standards for the majority of the population. You could question whether the hard Brexit we are now facing won't actually be more disruptive but that's not the big issue.

The big issue is 17 million people voted in a completely stupid way, contrary to all the evidence presented unambiguously to them. That ticking time bomb was always frightening. It still is, but of course it has already created a massive explosion - the equally stupid voting in of the Boris/Cummings Junta. Goodness know what damage that is going to cause. So Sir Charlie really needed to comment on how secondary Brexit effects compare to productivity stagnation.

As an aside: productivity stagnation has been shown to be caused by a severe drop in tangible investment (in the UK and USA) from somewhere around 2000. The only measures that will correct this are exactly contrary to the right-wing, low-tax, free-market, mantras traditionally spewed out by the Tories and particularly so with the current encumbents of 10 Downing Street.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    From CityAM Monday: Sir Charlie Bean, former deputy governor of the Bank and one of Britain’s most respected economists, says ... Brexit is “small beer” compared to the UK productivity slowdown ….

SNIP
    Christ, keep that under your hat - you've seen how much excreta is lining the usual suspects collective pants already, imagine if you told them "Brexit is small beer, compared to this...." - they'd have a full-blown mental breakdown, much worse than their current meltdown(s)...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Look I just need a lot of bamboo - best to get supplies in while I still can...
    NLyUK needs plenty for her "gentle chastisement" business, so I'd get in quick if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    If you eat a pallet full of baked beans you won't need a shotgun to keep people away
    Defence in depth, old chap.

Belt & braces.

You know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    You're a panda, so you're fooked before we even start on the humans...
    Look I just need a lot of bamboo - best to get supplies in while I still can...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I'm stock piling now - best to have 3 weeks of food in place if the coronavirus kicks off in the UK...
    You're a panda, so you're fooked before we even start on the humans...

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Do you not see that you've just completely contradicted yourself within a sentence? Unbelievable Jeff!!!
    He's got you there, Scooter.

And anyway I'm a boomer and all my friends are. Most of us did not vote for Brexit. One did but he is schizophrenic and thinks the EU are out to get him, One doesn't like the country being turned into a concrete jungle through immigration. The third - well he's never explained why he voted and now seems to regard Brexit as a strange phenomenon totally unrelated to the cross he put on the ballot paper.

You are probably right that old people are more likely to be Homo Brexitis but it's not fair to tarnish all us boomers with the same brush.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Maybe, but I'm not ignorant of the fact. Which is unlike boomers who voted for something they'll never live long enough to see the realised benefits they believe will result. This short term self interest that plagues the country really needs to end. We only hope the boomer generation don't cause too much damage on the way out.
    Do you not see that you've just completely contradicted yourself within a sentence? Unbelievable Jeff!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X