• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "We're all professionals"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Up until this post you had not mentioned "membership classification", but you've decided to move the goalposts on that one.
    You had said there's "No such thing as an Incorporated Engineer", then provided a link to a page that said there was such a thing as an Incorporated Engineer.

You really need to make up your mind.
    See my post above.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    When I certified as a MIEE it was called corporate membership and that is what it states on my MIEE certificate. IEng is not a membership classification it is a classification of Engingeering Council Registration.

You really need to get a life.
    Up until this post you had not mentioned "membership classification", but you've decided to move the goalposts on that one.
    You had said there's "No such thing as an Incorporated Engineer", then provided a link to a page that said there was such a thing as an Incorporated Engineer.

You really need to make up your mind.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    So, you're not a Corporate Member, and you're bringing the organisation into disrepute by claiming you are, then claiming that others memberships are invalid. You might want to apologise, or at least check the code of conduct, in case someone chose to report you.
    When I certified as a MIEE it was called corporate membership and that is what it states on my MIEE certificate. IEng is not a membership classification it is a classification of Engingeering Council Registration.

You really need to get a life.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I am a MIET
    So, you're not a Corporate Member, and you're bringing the organisation into disrepute by claiming you are, then claiming that others memberships are invalid. You might want to apologise, or at least check the code of conduct, in case someone chose to report you.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    No such thing as an Incorporated Engineer

Designatory Letters

Oh dear. The page you linked to says there is:

Using your designatory letters

There’s something special about being able to use the designatory letters you’ve earned through being a member of the IET. To make sure you get the most from yours, we’ve put together this short guide of how and when to use them.

What letters can you use?

IET designatory letters

Membership Category Designatory Letters
    Honorary Fellow Hon FIET
    Fellow FIET
    Member MIET or TMIET
    Associate No designatory letters
    Student No designatory letters
    Engineering Council professional registration designatory letters

Title Designatory letters
    Chartered Engineer CEng
    Incorporated Engineer IEng
    Engineering Technician EngTech
    ICT Technician ICTTech
    How do you write them?

You should use your Engineering Council letters after your decorations or degrees, and before your IET membership letters:
    • A B Smith OBE MEng CEng FIET
    • A B Smith OBE BSc IEng MIET
    • A B Smith OBE EngTech TMIET

Or you can use the title in full at the end, like this:
    • A B Smith OBE MIET Incorporated Engineer

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Designatory Letters

Damn: Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    No you're not.
    You could be an Incorporated Engineer.
    Your company could have a Corporate Partnership.

But the IET do not have "Corporate Members" and if they did, it wouldn't be for individuals.

If you were a HonFIET, you could rightly be proud of that one.

Oh, and you left out your upcoming SEAT on the tribe of Cupra.

Designatory Letters

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    No you're not.

But the IET do not have "Corporate Members" and if they did, it wouldn't be for individuals.

I am a MIET

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    4. I am a Corporate Member of the IET
    No you're not.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    1. I dont do coding
    2. I am one of approximately (as of Feb2019) 60 INCOSE CSEP s (Certified Systems Engineering Professional) in the UK.
    3. I am a Chartered Engineer

I've worked on more projects than you've had hot dinners sunshine

And yet you say you will only deliver what you are told to deliver rather than selling your knowledge and experience and advising the client and delivering what they need. All those qualifications yet you don't understand how to deliver a successful project

You may, or may not, have worked on more projects than me. I've only been working in project environments for 26 years. But, having worked on lots of projects doesn't mean you understand or have the skills to deliver projects. You're a techie, you do what you're told. I'm a manager, I lead the team to deliver success

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    1. I dont do coding
    2. I am one of approximately (as of Feb2019) 60 INCOSE CSEP s (Certified Systems Engineering Professional) in the UK.

Impressive achievements for a Grade A cretin.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    This is how business works ... you do understand that? You may have a main sponsor on a project, but many, many stakeholders. In order to deliver the project you will need to get most (note most, not all) stakeholders on board. This is not 'by committee', this is just how things work in the real world.

You just sound like a code monkey who does what he's told to do, adding little value to the client. Sounds inside IR35 to me.

I'm a professional offering my services to add value to the client. I will add my commercial experience to drive the project, bring stakeholders together, steer the requirements gathering, ensure the code monkeys deliver to those requirements, manage comms etc etc

This is what Brexit lacks - true leadership bringing conflicting views together to deliver a consensus solution. You will never meet the requirements of all stakeholders, but you will never deliver if you can't get the majority of your key stakeholders to join the party. Brexit is pandering to the extreme few and has never tried to take the majority on the journey.
    1. I dont do coding

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    2 of the Option A promoters can't even agree with themselves on what 'good' looks like, even though they campaigned together and supposedly campaigned for the same set of requirements. This is why we are in the tulip that we are

pro-Brexit Environment Secretary Michael Gove said while the prime minister's deal was a compromise, it should not be rejected "for that reason alone".

He appealed for unity among MPs and the country, and rejected the notion of a no-deal Brexit: "We didn't vote to leave without a deal. That wasn't the message of the campaign I helped lead."

But former cabinet minister Boris Johnson, who campaigned alongside Mr Gove to leave the EU, said there was "no way" he would vote for the backstop in its current form.

"The UK will have less sovereign power to withdraw from the backstop than it has to leave the EU itself. It is quite a bewildering state of affairs."

Gove confirms that the Leave campaign never pushed a No Deal solution. Boris doesn't want No Deal either (if you believe his previous comments) yet doesn't want the same as Gove.

And the turkeys voted for these people

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    This is about design by committee which means you will always get as many solutions as you have committee members.

The analogy just doesn't work.

This is how business works ... you do understand that? You may have a main sponsor on a project, but many, many stakeholders. In order to deliver the project you will need to get most (note most, not all) stakeholders on board. This is not 'by committee', this is just how things work in the real world.

You just sound like a code monkey who does what he's told to do, adding little value to the client. Sounds inside IR35 to me.

I'm a professional offering my services to add value to the client. I will add my commercial experience to drive the project, bring stakeholders together, steer the requirements gathering, ensure the code monkeys deliver to those requirements, manage comms etc etc

This is what Brexit lacks - true leadership bringing conflicting views together to deliver a consensus solution. You will never meet the requirements of all stakeholders, but you will never deliver if you can't get the majority of your key stakeholders to join the party. Brexit is pandering to the extreme few and has never tried to take the majority on the journey.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Which is basically what has happened but the client's stakeholders have decided that it's all bollocks so now the client needs to work out another plan to make both sides happy, which it can't...
    Unfortunately the client’s users (the people of NI) are represented by a Product Owner (the DUP) that doesn’t know its arse from its elbow and is objecting to solutions that the users would accept.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X