• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No deal brexit means £52 visas for EU"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    He don't like cycles. They be new fangled machines.
    But high powered sniper rifles are not.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Indeed. If only we could recycle his stupidity and put it to some greater cause!

He don't like cycles. They be new fangled machines.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    and work permits ?

Bienvenidos a Blighty: Spanish workers flock to UK - The Local

Record numbers of Spaniards have moved to the UK to find work and escape the economic crisis in their own country.Over the past four years the number of Spanish workers to move to the UK rose by a whopping 117 percent from 63,000 to 137,000, according to a new report from the Migration Observatory.
    In fact the eurozone jobs crisis has meant more southern European migrants are encouraged to head to the UK to compete for jobs with those arriving from eastern Europe.

Some 3.3 million EU nationals now live in the UK, 700,000 more than in 2011.
    Spanish unemployment currently stands at 20.9 percent down from a record 26.94 percent at the height of the crisis in the first quarter of 2013, while Spain’s youth unemployment hovers at around 45 percent.

Again spain is rattling their sabre about a country that has time and again clearly stated their wish to be part of the UK. I suppose spain is confused because all the natives didn't die from disease when they turned up and now have the audacity to want self determination and nothing to do with Spain ruling them.

2002 Gibraltar sovereignty referendum - Wikipedia

Although Straw had felt confident enough to announce that there had been talks on joint sovereignty, a number of issues still remained to be resolved. Firstly, Spain was insisting on a time element for a full transfer of sovereignty to Spain. Secondly, Spain would not agree to give Gibraltar a referendum on either joint sovereignty or self-determination. Finally, Spain wanted a greater role than simply joint use of Gibraltar as a military base.[6] Researcher Peter Gold argued in a 2009 paper that these disagreements made the possibility of an agreement being finalised remote.
    In London, Jack Straw was criticised by the Commons foreign affairs committee, whose report stated that he was wrong to agree to joint sovereignty with Spain, when this was unacceptable to the people of Gibraltar. The report also emphasised the importance of the referendum, which represented the views of Gibraltarians. The Telegraph said "the people of Gibraltar today overwhelmingly rejected the principle of Britain sharing sovereignty of the Rock with Spain"

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bean View Post
    Not at all.

It appears your basic comprehension requires improving.

Give yourself one more attempt at rereading the thread.

Indeed. If only we could recycle his stupidity and put it to some greater cause!

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Well at least we know you are facepalming yourself for being a silly little boy.
    Not at all.

It appears your basic comprehension requires improving.

Give yourself one more attempt at rereading the thread.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Welcome to the dark side meridian
    Agreed
    Well at least we know you are facepalming yourself for being a silly little boy.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    So, if someone who hates Europe and refuses to go there now, still refuses to go there in the future, then there is no loss to Europe.
    Agreed

Are you incapable of basic comprehension?
    No

Should I write it on the side of a bus for you?
    No thanks, otherwise that would be vandalism, which could be viewed as incitement.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

So, if someone who hates Europe and refuses to go there now, still refuses to go there in the future, then there is no loss to Europe.

Are you incapable of basic comprehension? Should I write it on the side of a bus for you?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yeah, those middle classes are known for going abroad on holidays, by abstaining from going to Prezzo etc. all year round
    If they have less money in the pocket after booking holiday they will spend less elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Brits will still go to Spain and other places - so Spain and other places will be ok.

What's not going to be ok is UK economy because Brits will have to spend more money on foreign holidays, so spend less in the UK - that's retail, pubs, restaurants etc.

That's the real problem, not what happens in Spain (it's not like Blackpool/Brighton can compete with them).
    Yeah, those middle classes are known for going abroad on holidays, by abstaining from going to Prezzo etc. all year round

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Brits will still go to Spain and other places - so Spain and other places will be ok.

What's not going to be ok is UK economy because Brits will have to spend more money on foreign holidays, so spend less in the UK - that's retail, pubs, restaurants etc.

That's the real problem, not what happens in Spain (it's not like Blackpool/Brighton can compete with them).

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH
    And expect some of them to say that the EU needs the UK tourists - that's the ones who never visit the EU anyway - to prop up the EU.
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Edit. Well that’s my maths ****ed. 5% of GDP based on the Spanish numbers of 84m would mean 5/16 * 84m = 26 million Brits going to Spain.

Edit 2. Gov.uk says a little under 19m Brits visited Spain last year, so perhaps not that far fetched after all.

Edit 3. The two numbers together suggest that Brits make up nearly a quarter of all visitors to Spain globally. On the one hand that seems like a ridiculous percentage given the other tourists from the rest of the EU plus eg USA. On the other hand, if I was Italian what would be my incentive to go to Spain for a holiday?

I stand corrected, I think - on the face of it, the numbers stack up.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    How do you even get to 5%? As your link says, 84m visitors from around the globe. Are you suggesting that over 4m of them every year are Brits?

There’s no “trying to punish”. Any visas, if applied, are for all non-EU countries. Of which we will shortly be one. Stop complaining, this is what you voted for.
    Edit. Well that’s my maths ****ed. 5% of GDP based on the Spanish numbers of 84m would mean 5/16 * 84m = 26 million Brits going to Spain.

Edit 2. Gov.uk says a little under 19m Brits visited Spain last year, so perhaps not that far fetched after all.

Edit 3. The two numbers together suggest that Brits make up nearly a quarter of all visitors to Spain globally. On the one hand that seems like a ridiculous percentage given the other tourists from the rest of the EU plus eg USA. On the other hand, if I was Italian what would be my incentive to go to Spain for a holiday?

I stand corrected, I think - on the face of it, the numbers stack up.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yes i do but even losing 5% is not a good situation.

In fact anything the EU does to try and punish the UK which has a detrimental affect on any EU country just shows the EU's colours - that they are more interested in the continuation of the EU than they are about the individual needs of a member country.
    The EU isn't punishing the UK, the UK is punishing itself and due to the course of action it has decided to take along with the ineptitude of the current government it is causing this. The EU is thinking about it's member countries which is why this is happening although as you don't like the EU, you can't see that. Due to the possibility of the UK leaving causing damage to other countries, not just EU, economies, do you think that those countries are going to look favorably in the future at the UK?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X