• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cherry tomatoes could cost 10% more after Brexit"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I can't remember, I googled before and you can see there are a number of suppliers to the UK from the EU and outside.
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I supplied pictures, I can understand why you remainers are having difficulty they included researched facts not made up bolloxs. Spain our main current supplier is 8th in the world after a number of LEDCs. One does rather wonder why they supply so many to us if we could buy them off Turkey or Egypt..
    Yes, it’s not difficult to see that there are other potential supplying countries. The question was “and cheaper”.

Spain currently export tariff and non-tariff-barrier free. Other countries currently have tariffs and non-tariff barriers, plus the tyranny of distance in cases such as China.

So which one(s) are cheaper?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Who is the competitor that is / will be cheaper?

You’re correct that if prices in the U.K. go up, then demand in the U.K. will likely decrease. But this doesn’t necessarily lead to a fall in prices at the producer’s end. Their costs have also gone up (increased overheads for paperwork, etc).

I supplied pictures, I can understand why you remainers are having difficulty they included researched facts not made up bolloxs. Spain our main current supplier is 8th in the world after a number of LEDCs. One does rather wonder why they supply so many to us if we could buy them off Turkey or Egypt..

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

You’re correct that if prices in the U.K. go up, then demand in the U.K. will likely decrease. But this doesn’t necessarily lead to a fall in prices at the producer’s end. Their costs have also gone up (increased overheads for paperwork, etc).
    I can't remember, I googled before and you can see there are a number of suppliers to the UK from the EU and outside.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    And I completely missed this bit. 3 per cent isn’t their market share in the U.K., it’s what the U.K. is as a percentage of their market.
    Yes exactly.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I believe we import tomatoes from a number of countries. 3 percent if correct is a sizeable chunk of sales. Can you imagine what a company would do to increase its market share by 3 percent.

So like soya there is always a competitor that will jump in and make up the difference.
    And I completely missed this bit. 3 per cent isn’t their market share in the U.K., it’s what the U.K. is as a percentage of their market.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    This definitely has the legs to be the best Brexit thread yet. Good work, dim.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    I believe we import tomatoes from a number of countries. 3 percent if correct is a sizeable chunk of sales. Can you imagine what a company would do to increase its market share by 3 percent.

So like soya there is always a competitor that will jump in and make up the difference.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why will Spain have to lower their prices? The UK only accounts for about 3% of their market.
    And who will Spain be competing against?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    But it doesnt work that way. If the price increases then people will buy less or look for alternatives. To compete Spain will have to lower it's prices.
    Why will Spain have to lower their prices? The UK only accounts for about 3% of their market.
    And who will Spain be competing against?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    CUK leaver versus Mash leaver. Spot the difference.
    Nice graph but answer the question.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    keep drinking the Kool(eu) aid.

Tomatoes in the UK (infographic) | The Missing Graph

time for some cheap Chinese or Indian exports

or maybe we can get some Turkish or Egyptian imports? Maybe we can increase UK production to take up the slack?
    CUK leaver versus Mash leaver. Spot the difference.
    Old racist in Stoke interviewed by media for 178th time

A PENSIONER with strong but largely misinformed views about Brexit is to be interviewed by the media yet again, for some reason.

Despite having no particular expertise relating to Brexit, Norman Steele has been interviewed by the BBC, ITN, Guardian and others because he is always easy to find in the Black Wolf pub.

Steele, 74, who is likely to be £60 a week worse of and will die without six types of daily medication, is also favoured for his snappy quotes such as ‘Bring back rationing, it’ll do us all good’.

BBC News reporter Martin Bishop said: “We’d interview the 17 million or so people who voted Remain but they’re not ‘real’ in the authentic way Norman is. Also they’re at work.

“Norman draws some fascinating parallels between Brexit and World War 2 which I find refreshing and insightful. For a foetus, he played an amazing role in winning the war.

“He makes me feel very guilty and metropolitan. His is the authentic voice of elderly, white, disaffected, bigoted, bloodyminded pig-ignorance and we should hear it as often as possible.”

Steele said: “We beat the Japs, now we’ll beat Barnier. What’s wrong with eating British vegetables? Now bugger off, I can see Robert Peston coming over.”

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Let me know why I’m wrong. U.K. imports tomatoes from a number of countries why would someone outside of the Eu not take the opportunity to grow their market share.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    To compete Spain will have to lower it's prices.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    But it doesnt work that way. If the price increases then people will buy less or look for alternatives. To compete Spain will have to lower it's prices.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    keep drinking the Kool(eu) aid.

Tomatoes in the UK (infographic) | The Missing Graph

time for some cheap Chinese or Indian exports

or maybe we can get some Turkish or Egyptian imports? Maybe we can increase UK production to take up the slack?
    I love your posts. They're hilarious. Keep them coming

Leave a comment:

Working...
X