• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The UK is sooooo doomed"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Macaroon is busy telling us how the UK is in trouble while turning water cannon & tear gas on protesters who have been complaining about taxation for months.

Police use water cannon and teargas on Paris protesters | World news | The Guardian
    Does not compute. The Guardian never publishes negative stories about 'the EU'.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    So you are describing other countries, which in your opinion are in a mess (which they are actually not, except for Greece which was in a mess) but not how the UK is in a mess because of the EU.
    And how would leaving the EU help stopping cheap labour from Asia?

Macaroon is busy telling us how the UK is in trouble while turning water cannon & tear gas on protesters who have been complaining about taxation for months.

Police use water cannon and teargas on Paris protesters | World news | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Like I say, even a Troll would slip up and say something intelligent once in a while

why you never do!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A good bank system? The tax payer just bailed it out. What part of that is good?
    just???
    That was 11 years ago and we're still suffering the consequences.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

It will take some time for us to return to the situation where most of the consumer goods we buy and the food we eat, are made in the UK.
    Like in WWII when we had rationing?

We've not been self-sufficient since before we had an empire you berk.

Could we be self-sufficient? Perhaps but why would we? I like tomatoes and orange juice, and wine, and fresh herbs all year round. I like potatoes and turnips but by May, when that's all you've eaten and they're going a bit 'fresh' I reckon it would wear.
    So yes we'll continue to import, but it'll be bloody expensive. And as our farms will close down due to lack of subsidies we'll have little choice.
    But but but no tariffs you say, WTO rules you say. Here's a list of countries that trade on WTO rules alone

Holy See
    Mauritania
    Monaco
    Montenegro
    Palau
    Timor-Leste
    Sao Tome and Principe
    Serbia
    Somalia
    South Sudan
    Sudan
    Western Sahara

spot a pattern? Yes, they're tiny or tulip-holes.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well actually they are in a mess and they are part of the EU. We are still part of the EU.

Re: cheap labour from Asia. Cheap labour is subsidised in this country by paying the low paid benefits. We can't deny an EU citizen the same benefits as a UK citizen. Therefore, it's quite easy to move here with the offer of a low paid job and have your housing etc subsidised. It's different rules from outside of the EU.
    No it's not, that is a myth.

Migrants aren’t taking our benefits - InFacts

If EU migrants stop coming everyone will have to pay more tax.

EU migrant workers contribute GBP2,300 more per year to UK than average British citizen, study reveals | The Independent
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 January 2019, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I
    A good bank system? The tax payer just bailed it out. What part of that is good?
    The tax payer will always bail it out. Are you thick?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by James Adams View Post
    I disagree, for me Brexit is a good investment opportunity, I don`t think the British economy is doomed, because it has excellent banking system and many other advantages that will help it overcome Brexit in several years.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    " It'll take years for the UK to recover"
    it took 40+ years to get us into this mess now!

It will take some time for us to return to the situation where most of the consumer goods we buy and the food we eat, are made in the UK.
    You flatter yourself.. I reckon it'll take 5-10 days when imports cease. Absorb that shock.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    So you are describing other countries, which in your opinion are in a mess (which they are actually not, except for Greece which was in a mess) but not how the UK is in a mess because of the EU.
    Well actually they are in a mess and they are part of the EU. We are still part of the EU.

Re: cheap labour from Asia. Cheap labour is subsidised in this country by paying the low paid benefits. We can't deny an EU citizen the same benefits as a UK citizen. Therefore, it's quite easy to move here with the offer of a low paid job and have your housing etc subsidised. It's different rules from outside of the EU.

Leave a comment:

• James Adams
    replied
    I see potential

Just saying.

Reading the papers this side of the channel there's complete befuddlement over what the UK is trying to accomplish. It is clear the damage, whatever the outcome of the process, has now been done. It'll take years for the UK to recover.
    I disagree, for me Brexit is a good investment opportunity, I don`t think the British economy is doomed, because it has excellent banking system and many other advantages that will help it overcome Brexit in several years.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well we have Italy that is a mess, Spain that is in a mess, France is suffering riots. We have the EU bureaucracy making laws that we implement with little accountability. All time high youth unemployment in the EU. We have an EU effectively governed by Germany and to a much lesser extent France. To get anything done smaller countries club together and make pacts to counter the large countries.

We have Greece, which is a mess. The Euro is a prison for many economies that now effectively have to implement wages/pension cuts and reduce worker rights to remain competitive.

The EU is not competitive and is being left behind. There is also a push for an EU army, which is great because they do so well at that.

The UK is not investing in R&D and is relying on cheap labour with all the issues that come with that.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Please describe the "mess" 40 years of EC/EU membership got us into
    Well we have Italy that is a mess, Spain that is in a mess, France is suffering riots. We have the EU bureaucracy making laws that we implement with little accountability. All time high youth unemployment in the EU. We have an EU effectively governed by Germany and to a much lesser extent France. To get anything done smaller countries club together and make pacts to counter the large countries.

We have Greece, which is a mess. The Euro is a prison for many economies that now effectively have to implement wages/pension cuts and reduce worker rights to remain competitive.

The EU is not competitive and is being left behind. There is also a push for an EU army, which is great because they do so well at that.

The UK is not investing in R&D and is relying on cheap labour with all the issues that come with that.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Just saying.

Reading the papers this side of the channel there's complete befuddlement over what the UK is trying to accomplish. It is clear the damage, whatever the outcome of the process, has now been done. It'll take years for the UK to recover.
    It's gone exactly how the EU wanted it to go. The EU want to make it look difficult and the UK government has gone ahead and obliged. They should have defaulted to a no deal brexit and spent the last couple of years making that as smooth as possible.

Regardless, no deal Brexit is on the cards. Sooner we leave the EU the better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X