• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit: The Uncivil War (C4)"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Strength through joy.
    Arbeit Macht Frei!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Brexit can only be delivered via a dictatorship so I'm expecting UKIP to throw their weight behind that idea.

A dictator needs a slogan, so I think "will of the people" would be ideal. A dictator doesn't need to be bothered with all that human rights nonsense and "political correctness".
    Strength through joy.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Brexit can only be delivered via a dictatorship so I'm expecting UKIP to throw their weight behind that idea.

A dictator needs a slogan, so I think "will of the people" would be ideal. A dictator doesn't need to be bothered with all that human rights nonsense and "political correctness".

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    That's not always a bad thing.
    Yes it is.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. Even as a Remainer, to me it beggars belief that the government don't appear to have listened to the grassroots and started work on implementing real policies that will help the JAMs and the left-behinds.

He'd probably need to stand for election first, unless you're advocating an unelected dictatorship :-)
    That's not always a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. Even as a Remainer, to me it beggars belief that the government don't appear to have listened to the grassroots and started work on implementing real policies that will help the JAMs and the left-behinds.

Everyone will prosper after a red white and blue Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Apart from a few social media posts the government has no feedback. The French lead the way.

He'd probably need to stand for election first, unless you're advocating an unelected dictatorship :-)
    Good point! I was thinking more along the lines of Sarah Harding in To play the King....

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    The bigger danger is how government/parliament manages voter expectations. Which is what Dominic Cummings objected to.

It summed up the reason I voted Brexit. Objecting to the establishment and feeling left behind. However you vote the government always gets in.

What I would prefer to happen is Dominic Cummings to become PM. I am sure there is a universe somewhere that he is.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    I though it was quite compelling viewing. It did highlight the dangers of social media and how it can be used to mange voters expectations.
    The bigger danger is how government/parliament manages voter expectations. Which is what Dominic Cummings objected to.

It summed up the reason I voted Brexit. Objecting to the establishment and feeling left behind. However you vote the government always gets in.

The vote leave as exposed just how badly this country is run. Rather than this shower, the UK would be better run by Brussels. Apologies to those who voted stay for being slow on the uptake.

What I would prefer to happen is Dominic Cummings to become PM. I am sure there is a universe somewhere that he is.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Looking at the Brexit Twittersphere, the Leavers don't so C4 is getting a bashing
    Apparently BC (ardent Remainer, natch) demanded changes to the script to make Cummings look more devious, sinister and manipulating. I've got it on Skyplus, so I'll reserve judgement until I've actually watched it.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'd really like to hope that society isn't that influenced by "social media" - however, something tells me that's a vain hope!
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Lots of comments from Brexiteer accounts on Twitter last night saying "we didn't vote Leave because of a social media campaign, we've wanted this for years" etc.

I think the key point - which a lot of them seemed to miss - is that they weren't trying to influence everyone using social media, just the floating/undecided people in the middle.
    It's fairly safe to say that the campaign managers were savvy. They wouldn't have spent £675,000 on social media advertising* if they didn't think it would have any effect.

*Including "ads" that didn't really look like advertising

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I'd really like to hope that society isn't that influenced by "social media" - however, something tells me that's a vain hope!
    Lots of comments from Brexiteer accounts on Twitter last night saying "we didn't vote Leave because of a social media campaign, we've wanted this for years" etc.

I think the key point - which a lot of them seemed to miss - is that they weren't trying to influence everyone using social media, just the floating/undecided people in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Come on you know that if its reported on Facebook then it is indisputable fact. Everybody on Facebook says so, so it must be true.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    I though it was quite compelling viewing. It did highlight the dangers of social media and how it can be used to mange voters expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X