• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Roaming charges to return after Brexit"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Brexiteers will always have the fallback of the Stormfront private message function.
    They have to connect to Wetherspoons wifi first to be able to get to that website

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Send a letter Nat. Just turn up.

Skype and WhatsApp should be taxed. Per message, like to see those Eurocrats stop us doing that when we leave.
    Brexiteers will always have the fallback of the Stormfront private message function.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/...1180204_en.pdf

"In the event that we leave the EU without a deal, the costs that EU mobile operators would be able to charge UK operators for providing roaming services would no longer be regulated after March 2019. This would mean that surcharge-free roaming when you travel to the EU could no longer be guaranteed. This would include employees of UK companies travelling in the EU for business," the government stated at the time.

“However, the government would legislate to ensure that the requirements on mobile operators to apply a financial limit on mobile data usage while abroad is retained in UK law. The limit would be set at £45 per monthly billing period, as at present (currently €50 under EU law). The government would also legislate, subject to Parliamentary approval, to ensure the alerts at 80 per cent and 100 per cent data usage continue.”

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    How do you call them to arrange it?

(Whatsapp, skype... )
    Send a letter Nat. Just turn up.

Skype and WhatsApp should be taxed. Per message, like to see those Eurocrats stop us doing that when we leave.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Visit them in person, spend time with them.
    How do you call them to arrange it?

(Whatsapp, skype... )

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Let them use Iridium

HtH

JRM

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    And cough up for a visa every time.

And how about people travelling who want to call home?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Hmm wonder how you speak to your friends and family when they are in another country.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Or you can use your phone less and speak to your family and friends. Only today I watched a programme discussing the damage too much screen time has on children and adults. There is even talk of a tax on screen time.

Great time to give up the phone addiction.
    Hmm wonder how you speak to your friends and family when they are in another country.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    But why should roaming be any different in the EU than it is in many other parts of the world that are outside the EU after Brexit?
    Who said they will be different to the rest of the world? Currently, within the EU, your contract minutes apply in any country for making and receiving calls. Most networks charge roaming fees when you are outside the EU, some allow you to buy bolt-ons, and a few offer contracts where some other countries are included.
    I’m not aware of any UK mobile operator that offers free global roaming.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick on this one. The EU are not "punishing" UK consumers. The directive (or regulation) which prevents EU networks charging UK networks for EU roaming charges will no longer apply to UK consumers when the UK leaves the EU.
    There are so many grey areas it's difficult to know where to start though. Vodafone own networks throughout Europe, EE is a French/German owned joint venture, O2 is owned by Telefonica of Spain (which also operates throughout Europe) and Three operates networks in Scandinavia and Italy.
    If any one of the UK networks decided to carry on as before (Vodafone have already indicated they may not re-introduce roaming charges, and you can still take out a new contract on their "roam-free" tariff which includes all EU countries and some others) the rest would have to follow.
    Or you can use your phone less and speak to your family and friends. Only today I watched a programme discussing the damage too much screen time has on children and adults. There is even talk of a tax on screen time.

Great time to give up the phone addiction.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    "UK phone firms would face “increased costs” from EU carriers that they might then pass on to customers."

"The new draft regulation states that in the event of no exit agreement with the EU “it will not be possible to impose a limit on the wholesale charges faced by UK operators when their customers use networks owned by EU operators”.

“It’s unacceptable that these plans have been snuck out. Ministers need to start being straight with the British public about the consequences of no deal and take it off the table once and for all.”

So lets go through some facts

When we leave the EU we will have no control over whether EU operators decide to charge UK companies more to use their networks and those charges may be passed onto the customer.

Ok yes fine - why is that the fault of the government?

Why is EU companies trying to take advantage of brexit and charge the UK public more a fault of the government and not something you clearly lay at the door of the companies putting in the price hikes?

Also as I get the same deal when in America - who last time I looked are not in the UK or the EU? So why does that work?

So shall we say that as part of the EU's attempt to punish the UK public for having the audacity to leave they are going to try and increase your phone bill when in Europe.

Ok lets not go to Europe for a holiday then would that help?
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick on this one. The EU are not "punishing" UK consumers. The directive (or regulation) which prevents EU networks charging UK networks for EU roaming charges will no longer apply to UK consumers when the UK leaves the EU.
    There are so many grey areas it's difficult to know where to start though. Vodafone own networks throughout Europe, EE is a French/German owned joint venture, O2 is owned by Telefonica of Spain (which also operates throughout Europe) and Three operates networks in Scandinavia and Italy.
    If any one of the UK networks decided to carry on as before (Vodafone have already indicated they may not re-introduce roaming charges, and you can still take out a new contract on their "roam-free" tariff which includes all EU countries and some others) the rest would have to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Yes that's what I'm saying you can buy a contract that includes that, you probably pay a bit more than if you wouldn't include that

Nope all part of the standard package. Roaming in certain countries outside of the EU including good ole USofA

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    But roaming in other countries outside of the EU is included in my package. .
    Yes that's what I'm saying you can buy a contract that includes that, you probably pay a bit more than if you wouldn't include that

My contract also lists lots of EU countries in which I will not be charged roaming charges
    That's your provider BS-ing you as that is included in everyone's package by law

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    It's up to your provider to decide if you can buy a subscription which includes international roaming in a number of countries and how much extra that costs.
    At the moment the EU dictates that roaming is free within the EU, no matter what package you have, if that wouldn't be the case you still would have to purchase optional subscriptions that cover roaming or pay extra when abroad in the EU.

Think about the poor gammonfaces at the swimming pool in Spain posting on the daily mail comments section and they will be hit with an extra bill of several £100s and complain when they come back because they didn't know. Exactly like it was a few years back before the mandatory free roaming dictated to us by the evil EUSSR came into effect
    But roaming in other countries outside of the EU is included in my package. My contract also lists lots of EU countries in which I will not be charged roaming charges.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X