• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Diktat from Brussels"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    It’s a complete mess.

Still think we are better off out ;-)
    I voted remain as leading up to the vote there was no positive argument given to why we would be better off out of Europe. Forums and social media was full of racism and xenophobia that I refused to be part of. Lots of negative arguments for leaving, but nothing positive.

I accepted the vote and was waiting to be convinced by facts that we would indeed be better off out. 2 years later I'm still waiting and until I see any evidence to the contrary I still think we as a nation are better off aligned with our European friends rather than trying to relive the past glories of our colonial days.

Forums and social media are still full of idiots crying "out now", "hard brexit", "let's show Europe they need us more than them", "we want to control our borders and get rid of all the immigrants" and other such rubbish. These ignorant people don't understand there can't be a hard brexit, or if there is what that would mean to our nation. Free trade deals with other countries they now cry ..... hmmm, yes, great trade deals with the likes of the US, right up until their equally idiotic president decides to unilaterally change the rules and shaft us.

I agree the EU as an parliamentary organisation needs reform, stabbing ourselves in the foot however to "show them" isn't the answer. We can influence change from within, we can't from without. We will end up with a deal that effectively gives us what we have today but with no say and no veto. This is what us remainers said would happen way back before the vote but we were told we were lying, and project fear.

Well, project fear is becoming project reality. Looking forward to May's speech to confirm all this as even the moderate brexit MPs are now coming to the same realisation. Only the self serving likes of Rees-Mogg and BoJo will tell you otherwise, but then, they don't care about the general public, only their own bank balances and personal trade deals!

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    With this quality post and your typo corrections you really are clutching at straws.....
    We all make spelling mistakes but spelling academic wrong is a bit of a FAIL in my book.

There is no vision or United negotiation position in Westminster.

And the high percentage of remain voters in government makes it extra tricky.

It’s a complete mess.

Still think we are better off out ;-)

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Depends what control means.

Westminster is comprised of around 80% of the Houses of Parliment against brexit and 95% of the civil service.

With this quality post and your typo corrections you really are clutching at straws.....

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    New Diktat from Brussels

So Westminister is not in control of the situation?
    Depends what control means.

Westminster is comprised of around 80% of the Houses of Parliment against brexit and 95% of the civil service.

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2 March 2018, 13:40.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    If NI does not install a hard border and effectively throws complete dereliction to monitor it; then who is going to put up the hard border? The EU? The RofI?
    So Westminister is not in control of the situation?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    There can't be a hard brexit. This would require a hard border in Ireland between North and South and the UK government can't agree to that. Well, technically it can, but then the DUP and Labour will bring the Tory government down hence there will never be a hard Brexit. The EU know this, the Tories know this, only the ignorant brexit Sun reading supporters don't have the brain cells to understand this.
    If NI does not install a hard border and effectively throws complete dereliction to monitor it; then who is going to put up the hard border? The EU? The RofI?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its looking more like a hard brexit, in which case we will need to grind the EU into the dust to survive.
    There can't be a hard brexit. This would require a hard border in Ireland between North and South and the UK government can't agree to that. Well, technically it can, but then the DUP and Labour will bring the Tory government down hence there will never be a hard Brexit. The EU know this, the Tories know this, only the ignorant brexit Sun reading supporters don't have the brain cells to understand this.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Well so far everything we have suggested has been refused. We suggested a four freedom free agreement and no imaginary army for us with restricted EU access, we suggested Canada ++ but were told that wasn't available.
    Links to these?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Well so far everything we have suggested has been refused. We suggested a four freedom free agreement and no imaginary army for us with restricted EU access, we suggested Canada ++ but were told that wasn't available. What is available? The EU won't tell.

The EU is in a huff and doesn't want to agree anything. I am sorry we upset them but they need to be adults about it.

Its looking more like a hard brexit, in which case we will need to grind the EU into the dust to survive.

With what exactly? Not the finance sector it seems. Maybe Blackpool rock and Pukka Pies?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The EU wants the UK to be part of the EU. The UK voted to leave. The UK now needs to come up with what it wants to do.

How do you charge import and export tariffs on products you are not importing or exporting?
    As malvolio pointed out:

The EU is not annexing Ireland, another made up story from the Brexit camp.
    When will common sense prevail and you accept that it was the UK that is leaving the EU and the UK that should be negotiating how it wants to exist in the future, but all we get from the Brexit camp is "no we don't want that" and "it's the EU's fault"

When will someone from the Brexit camp explain what it is they want that is different to what the UK has today?
    Well so far everything we have suggested has been refused. We suggested a four freedom free agreement and no imaginary army for us with restricted EU access, we suggested Canada ++ but were told that wasn't available. What is available? The EU won't tell.

The EU is in a huff and doesn't want to agree anything. I am sorry we upset them but they need to be adults about it.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I wonder how our farmers will react when they understand that the UK is suddenly going to be swamped with cheap beef thus putting our own farmers out of business. Same for the butter and our diary farmers. But then, farming communities voted out so they get what they deserve!
    This is the elephant in the room. Import duties exist for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I am speechless. Do the idiot Sun readers not realise the paradox that this stuff is all imported for a reason. Where the **** do they think mozzerella and Kerrygold come from? Good luck with the Chinese wine, beef and bicycles.
    I wonder how our farmers will react when they understand that the UK is suddenly going to be swamped with cheap beef thus putting our own farmers out of business. Same for the butter and our diary farmers. But then, farming communities voted out so they get what they deserve!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

When will someone from the Brexit camp explain what it is they want that is different to what the UK has today?

This summarises the whole issue.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    so we have established
    The EU wants no border between two separate countries and the whole of Ireland as a part of the EU.
    The EU wants the UK to be part of the EU. The UK voted to leave. The UK now needs to come up with what it wants to do.

80% of Irish exports pass through the UK.
    We can reasonably charge import / export tariffs on goods that pass through the UK making Eire's exports difficult.
    So the EU annexing Ireland will ruin its economy.
    How do you charge import and export tariffs on products you are not importing or exporting?
    As malvolio pointed out:
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    OK, so if this is material in transit, and therefore in customs-sealed truck containers that aren't going to stop in the UK, what exactly is the problem?
    The EU is not annexing Ireland, another made up story from the Brexit camp.
    When will common sense prevail and you accept that it was the UK that is leaving the EU and the UK that should be negotiating how it wants to exist in the future, but all we get from the Brexit camp is "no we don't want that" and "it's the EU's fault"

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    FFS. How are you so incapable of following an argument?

Anyway will leave all you

to it. I'm off to play in the snow.
    I follow it perfectly thanks.

Enjoy the snow, we won’t have any after brexit, only frozen unicorn tears.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X