• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If Brexit hadn't happened, what would we be talking about all day ?"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Funny that, since dentists got privatised there's been no problem finding one.
    Of course if you want it on the NHS it's a different story. But who gives a crap about poor people any more.
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Evening All,

If Brexit hadn't happened, what would we be talking about all day ?

And, what would the government be doing ?

Milan.
    Actually... Brexit hasn't happened.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    thx for that.

I see Brits are resorting to pull their own teeth out because of a lack of Dentists.

Patients having to ‘pull out their own teeth’ because NHS dentists refuse to treat them | The Independent

You'll be seeing more of that.

Funny that, since dentists got privatised there's been no problem finding one.
    Of course if you want it on the NHS it's a different story. But who gives a crap about poor people any more.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    And there was me thinking it was paid for via taxation.
    Mainly from people who work.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    The UK needs to learn that there is no free lunch

Probably the NHS is the reason why many people in the UK think there is a free lunch-
    And there was me thinking it was paid for via taxation.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The UK needs to learn that there is no free lunch

Probably the NHS is the reason why many people in the UK think there is a free lunch-

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That's been the case for 20 years. Few areas have NHS dentists that accept new patients. In Wales I seem to remember there was 1 town where the nearest NHS dentist was 47 miles or 3 hours by bus away...
    London has lots. However they tend to be in the poorer areas due to rent and other costs.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    thx for that.

I see Brits are resorting to pull their own teeth out because of a lack of Dentists.

Patients having to ‘pull out their own teeth’ because NHS dentists refuse to treat them | The Independent

That's been the case for 20 years. Few areas have NHS dentists that accept new patients. In Wales I seem to remember there was 1 town where the nearest NHS dentist was 47 miles or 3 hours by bus away...

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    thx for that.

Begs the question what you consider yourself? Brits is a select term used by only a few.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I like you BB, you don't let humor or wit get in the way of a good ole post. You just mash at those keys and click on the send button no matter what comes out.

It takes a special kind of person to not give that much of a damn, BB I salute you sir.
    thx for that.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Take London out of the equation and the UK's economy is like Spain's.
    That's another thing people don't understand.

London generates 30% of taxes
    The irony of this is that the population from London voted to remain.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied

Interestingly, I've just found this:

Berlin is the only capital city in Europe that is a drag on its country’s economy - Quartz (who claim to be "Quartz is a digitally native news outlet, born in 2012, for business people in the new global economy. We publish bracingly creative and intelligent journalism with a broad worldview, built primarily for the devices closest at hand: tablets and mobile phones.")

Anyway, from the above:

"The Cologne Institute for Economic Research set out to see how GDP would be affected if a country had to cope without its capital city (link in German). Without London, Britain would be 11% poorer on a per capita basis. France would lose 15% of per capita income if it didn’t have Paris, where its biggest companies, like Total, Renault, and Peugeot have their headquarters. Greece would take a 20% hit without Athens."

So 'we' are not alone and, in some ways, better than our European neighbours.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Unless you live in London, in which case it's more likely to be the reverse.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    But most of the food on their plate comes from overseas, as does virtually everything they own.

I like you BB, you don't let humor or wit get in the way of a good ole post. You just mash at those keys and click on the send button no matter what comes out.

It takes a special kind of person to not give that much of a damn, BB I salute you sir.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I think the point is that the number of people in the UK who regularly deal with people from overseas is probably 1-3% of the population....

The things I find people believe are:-

1) Everyone is the same as they themselves are
    2) What happened last week / month / year will continue for ever.

And its important to understand that neither of the above are true...
    But most of the food on their plate comes from overseas, as does virtually everything they own. I dare say that actually millions of people in the UK are talking to people overseas in call centres on a daily basis.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I think the point is that the number of people in the UK who regularly deal with people from overseas is probably 1-3% of the population...
    Unless you live in London, in which case it's more likely to be the reverse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X