• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit - where is my sack cloth?"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This Brexit vision from Minford has an air of "Moonraker" about it, i.e. destroy everything and rebuild a new Brexit Utopia.

May as well, the robots and AI and AI robots will take all the jobs anyway.

Let them, tax them, and give the humans a citizens income so they only need to earn extra if they want all the bling.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    They're not enough out of their box to think it through. Allow me. They remove import tariffs so get all the business then offer a value added service where all items are checked for quality and improved where necessary before exporting them.

So no longer 'made in Great Britain' but more 'handled by Great Britain'. Worked for Lotus when they offered 'handling by Lotus' to cars from their parent company, Proton. All they handled was the badge stuck on the car's rear end.

Then any export tariffs are offset by the perceived improvement in quality.
    He is actually right by the way, when I studied business I did an assignment to to evaluate Taiwan's industrial strategy, basically involved unilaterally removing all tariffs as no-one was ever going to do a deal with Taiwan, they also slashed taxes, and created enterprise zones.

However the UK is not Taiwan, it would mean huge numbers of companies going out of business which depend on the EU, building entirely new companies and slashing the public sector. This would be a rerun of Thatcher era, in which Minford was influential as her favourite economic advisor and all the misery that went along with it. That's not what Leave voters had in mind.

This Brexit vision from Minford has an air of "Moonraker" about it, i.e. destroy everything and rebuild a new Brexit Utopia.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Knickers to you darling!
    ohhh, - i say!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What are underpants?
    Knickers to you darling!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Only if the UK unilaterally removes all tariffs and regulatory requirements on all goods coming into the UK. No country would bother to negotiate a trade deal if the UK has unilaterally already removed all the tariffs, and incidentally Professor Minford has stated huge swathes of British industry would be laid to waste as they fail to compete with the cheap imports and battle against massive tariffs to sell goods abroad. He thinks the UK should become a services only economy. ...

They're not enough out of their box to think it through. Allow me. They remove import tariffs so get all the business then offer a value added service where all items are checked for quality and improved where necessary before exporting them.

So no longer 'made in Great Britain' but more 'handled by Great Britain'. Worked for Lotus when they offered 'handling by Lotus' to cars from their parent company, Proton. All they handled was the badge stuck on the car's rear end.

Then any export tariffs are offset by the perceived improvement in quality.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Hard Brexit 'offers £135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News

Nothing to worry about, and SAS is right. or , you choose.
    Only if the UK unilaterally removes all tariffs and regulatory requirements on all goods coming into the UK. No country would bother to negotiate a trade deal if the UK has unilaterally already removed all the tariffs, and incidentally Professor Minford has stated huge swathes of British industry would be laid to waste as they fail to compete with the cheap imports and battle against massive tariffs to sell goods abroad. He thinks the UK should become a services only economy.

MPs react after Vote Leave economist admits Brexit would 'mostly eliminate manufacturing' - Chronicle Live

This is one of the suggestions that has been floating around for years like unilateral nuclear disarmament, a 10% flat tax or a guaranteed universal income for everyone.

Incidentally part of Patrick Minford's proposal includes freedom of movement extended to all countries to allow employers to recruit anyone they need.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 August 2017, 10:39.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    Sack cloth? Is that what common people call their underpants?

What are underpants?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Australia demands the same rights in the UK as EU citizens

So when the UK's arm has been twisted to allow freedom of movement for EU citizens to get a trade deal, every other country will demand it too, and the UK will end up with mass migration * 10.

Hard Brexit 'offers £135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News

Nothing to worry about, and SAS is right. or , you choose.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The last Italian car I owned, I got it wrapped in clear plastic before it left the showroom. No stone chips, and all I had to do was wash the dirt off to reveal the original showroom polish
    Yeah I drove an Alfa and everything was held on by sellotape!

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Sack cloth? Is that what common people call their underpants?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I don't think it's being built to replace your over powered commuter penis extension.

It's what us gentrified folk call a toy or Sunday car.

But I understand that may be out of many peoples reach.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    The last Italian car I owned, I got it wrapped in clear plastic before it left the showroom. No stone chips, and all I had to do was wash the dirt off to reveal the original showroom polish
    Does that protect the windscreen too?
    Sure, as long as you wrap it properly....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    No, but windscreens are cheap/easy to replace. Getting a respray and you never get exactly the same colour/finish.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    When my lotto numbers come up - I will wave from my helicopter.

But seriously, It must be crushingly painful when a Saxo throws up a stone and cracks your windscreen?

Much as I like the idea of a tasty motor, the pain of a stonechip even to my motor hurts like hell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X