• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit - Do you think we can just ask everyone nicely to forget about it"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I have to say Tim Weatherspoon has hit the nail on the head, this is how to get your Hard Brexit:

EU will beg to trade with UK if Brexit talks breakdown, Tim Martin | UK | News | Express.co.uk

i.e. walk out of the talks and play hard to get.

The downside of the strategy is that it will trash huge sectors of the economy, so requires a huge majority to shove it down peoples' throats.

Now not possible...

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Macron says the door is still open to remain. The UK does not deserve such generosity but I guess it is a charity case now.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That does look suspiciously like a propaganda pamphlet desperately trying to revive a Brexit now on the support life machine.

Even the Daily Express is expressing doubts on a Hard Brexit. There is no majority in the Commons and the government will come crashing down if they try.

Here is the plan:

The EU offers EEA membership and interminable negotiations extending well into the next century for a comprehensive complex trade deal, with 10 to 20 very thick volumes of fine detail to be hammered out.

The government feebly tries to resist and then caves in.

The only hope for a Hard Brexit was to be able to handle at least a short period on WTO rules to demonstrate the government means business, because the EU would certainly take it that far if there were to be an impasse.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 June 2017, 21:09.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    There is surprisingly little difference between "the common market" and the EU, when I worked in the "Common Market" the residents permit was automatic. They only key differences are the Euro, and the parliament. The laws that the UK signed up to haven't expanded because the opted out of virtually all of it, most of them due to the adoption of the Euro. Up until the mid 1980's Labour were trying to get the UK out in spite of the 1975 referendum, and soon after that the Referendum party was founded.

The complaints I hear freedom of movement, too much money going to Brussels and they're stealing our fish all go back to 1975.

bring on the next referendum.

We agree then. The key difference s parliament. And that means alot to the UK.

Who wants to be ruled by Berlin?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The only people whom a hard Brexit (i.e. exiting the SM and CU and/or no deal with the EU) would benefit are very rich Tories, who want to change this country into a low wage, low rights version of the US.
    The other class advocating it are poor and thick Kippers who have no idea what it would entail.

Which group do you belong to?
    The UK may not get a choice over hard/soft Brexit. There has to be negotiation with the EU. And they are very determined to try to make the UK suffer.

Whether there is hard of soft Brexit, the rich will get richer. Were Korbyn to get in, I would console myself that the rich are going to be cut down to size.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The only people whom a hard Brexit (i.e. exiting the SM and CU and/or no deal with the EU) would benefit are very rich Tories, who want to change this country into a low wage, low rights version of the US.
    The other class advocating it are poor and thick Kippers who have no idea what it would entail.

Which group do you belong to?

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Who created the term 'hard' and 'soft' BREXIT?

The media.

Excluding the usual fibbing media coverage it looks as if the idea is to negotiate the outcome. You didn't vote for hard or soft, you voted to leave the EU in an advisory referendum.

Excluding inflammatory media coverage to rile you up, there is no evidence that 'hard' is indeed the best BREXIT outcome. Just because it's what you personally feel is fitting doesn't mean it will be actioned.

Never did understand this notion of the advisory referendum result suddenly dictating a hard BREXIT. It's only in the minds of those who read the newspapers.

Given the lack of UK governance, we can only hope a commission is created to handle this. It seems implausible for the country to be governed appropriately AND leaving the EU negotiated - too much work for any government.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Just to wind up blasterbates & co

2017-06-12 The Government’s plans for a ‘Vote Leave’ Brexit are far from derailed

... both the Tories and Labour – as well as UKIP, of course – went into this general election standing on a platform of accepting the referendum result. These Pro-Brexit parties got more than 85% of the vote last week.

And yet some of the usual suspects have popped up over the weekend to claim now that the result of the general election is somehow a mandate for a so-called “soft Brexit” – that propaganda term favoured by continuity Remainers to denote remaining party to virtually all of the trappings of the EU, like the single market and customs union. This is a proposition which would be more aptly described as “non-Brexit” and Martin Howe QC’s piece yesterday nailing the myth of “soft Brexit” is essential reading if you haven’t read it already. ...

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If Labour had got in I'm sure you would've respected that and not complained people had made a stupid choice....
    Sure I'd have complained about it - that's called freedom of speech (as is you lot moaning on about Brexit).

What I wouldn't have done is ponced about calling for a second election, because, like it or not there was a majority vote. That's called democracy.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Can you imagine the grief Brexiteers would get from the remain camp if the result had been the other way round (i.e. stay in the EU) and we kept whining on about a second referendum.
    That's exactly what you'd have done.
    Oh no I wouldn't...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The clear decision for a common market.

There should have been a referendum on Maastricht. Though even if the UK had voted against, they would probably have been told to keep voting until the right answer was voted for.
    There is surprisingly little difference between "the common market" and the EU, when I worked in the "Common Market" the residents permit was automatic. They only key differences are the Euro, and the parliament. The laws that the UK signed up to haven't expanded because the opted out of virtually all of it, most of them due to the adoption of the Euro. Up until the mid 1980's Labour were trying to get the UK out in spite of the 1975 referendum, and soon after that the Referendum party was founded.

The complaints I hear freedom of movement, too much money going to Brussels and they're stealing our fish all go back to 1975.

bring on the next referendum.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 June 2017, 12:51.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yes but when everyone on here ridicules the man, why do they always trot this quote out?

If you think the man is a tit stop quoting him.
    Always worth showing the hypocrisy of the Brownshirt Brexit patriots.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Nothing wrong with referendums, it's what democracy is all about. I actually quite enjoy them and General elections

Before the referendum there was never ending moaning about Europe, in spite of the clear decision in 1975.
    The clear decision for a common market.

There should have been a referendum on Maastricht. Though even if the UK had voted against, they would probably have been told to keep voting until the right answer was voted for.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Nothing wrong with referendums, it's what democracy is all about. I actually quite enjoy them and General elections

Before the referendum there was never ending moaning about Europe, in spite of the clear decision in 1975.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Can you imagine the grief Brexiteers would get from the remain camp if the result had been the other way round (i.e. stay in the EU) and we kept whining on about a second referendum.
    That's exactly what you'd have done.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Nobody except for the 51.9% majority.... it's called democracy.. get over it.
    If Labour had got in I'm sure you would've respected that and not complained people had made a stupid choice... or you're a hypocrite who demands democracy is respected only when it agrees with your own view.

Brexit is such a vast and complicated thing that there are really no definitive answers. A multi-year set of negotiations can easily reach the point that by the end, nobody wants what is agreed anymore. Equally each party (or even each MP) has their own vision for what Brexit should look like and what direction to push the negotiations in, so why should the version of Brexit we get come down to who is PM presiding over things.
    The referendum left things rather trapped... maybe it should've asked "should we trigger Article 50". As it is the people have spoken and the politicians have agreed to follow them but by the time things are being finalised, that will be years in the past.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X