• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Urgent: I paid myself too much salary !"

Collapse

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    A good example of what accountants keep on top of in the background that many people don't see when complaining about cost. That gem could save people some good money.

Now get Clare a nice cup of tea..
    Shame there is not dislike button on here!!! You'll have to do with a like instead. Now get the round in!

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Claire
    Where's the dislike button?

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Claire

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    Just an FYI and heads up etc etc. The rate drops to 3.25% from April. HM Revenue & Customs: Beneficial loan arrangements - official rates
    And the threshold goes up to £10k

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    Just an FYI and heads up etc etc. The rate drops to 3.25% from April. HM Revenue & Customs: Beneficial loan arrangements - official rates
    A good example of what accountants keep on top of in the background that many people don't see when complaining about cost. That gem could save people some good money.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    If the loan is over £5k then you should pay interest on it (4%)

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I think that because of the fact I should have been notifying HMRC of salary payments through RTI (no RTI submission have been made) then I would have to make backdated submissions and that is where the complications would be.
    I don't see what the problem is, if it wasn't declared on RTI then it's a director's loan so just put it down as that.

If you pay off your director's loan in full by the last day of your company's Corporation Tax accounting period then you don't need to tell HMRC about the loan on your Company Tax Return so no problem... If the loan is over £5k then you should pay interest on it (4%) to avoid the BIK but remember that the interest is paid back to you minus Corp Tax so the interest rate is effectively about 1%.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    So, basically you paid yourself 1000 month net. There was nothing submitted to hmrc??

If thos is what happened I would rather imagine it was actually a salary of 9000 odd. The difference being loans which would have been journalised to the directors accoutn. Then cleared either by repayment or subsequent dividend.

At leasr thats what it looks what it might hsve been. Based on what you describe I dont see why your accountants seem so certain it was all salary.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Why are you having to pay £2300 tax on a salary of £12k? Surely you're taxed ON £2300?
    "If the salary for 13/14 is £12K net then this will be a gross salary of £13,499. The company’s PAYE/NI bill to pay in April 2014 will be £2,300 comprising £810 tax and £1,490 total national insurance (employee’s + employer’s NI)."

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    I don't see what the fuss is. You have two options from your accountant. Sit down and ask him to explain them or at least which is cheaper for you. Forget the threat of investigation. It's more possible you well get run over by a bus crossing the road to go see him. You don't have anything else going wrong you are trying to cover up? So what's the worry.

You pay him to service your accounts as directed by you so understand your two options and then just advise him to make it right. If he has clearly explained his next actions and you want a second opinion then post here. Better that than let a bunch of strangers try and put your accountant right.

Nothing to get your knickers in a twist really. It's all taxed on the way out at some point so a bit extra in this instance isn't the end of the world.

You ******* moron

Cheers NLUK. :-)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    have been paying myself £1k a month giving me a net salary 2013/14 of £12k and a potential tax bill of £2,300 due next month.
    I'm a bit confused. Why are you having to pay £2300 tax on a salary of £12k? Surely you're taxed ON £2300?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And here I am. So 11k as directors loans and a possible investigation (as advised by my accountant) OR 12k as net salary and £2,300 tax the pay next month.
    I don't see what the fuss is. You have two options from your accountant. Sit down and ask him to explain them or at least which is cheaper for you. Forget the threat of investigation. It's more possible you well get run over by a bus crossing the road to go see him. You don't have anything else going wrong you are trying to cover up? So what's the worry.

You pay him to service your accounts as directed by you so understand your two options and then just advise him to make it right. If he has clearly explained his next actions and you want a second opinion then post here. Better that than let a bunch of strangers try and put your accountant right.

Nothing to get your knickers in a twist really. It's all taxed on the way out at some point so a bit extra in this instance isn't the end of the world.

You ******* moron

Last edited by northernladuk; 24 February 2014, 17:56.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    It's the former. But you only need declare it if you don't pay interest on it.
    I suppose the interest could be calculated to-date and re-credited to the DLA (thus increasing what is owed); but would crediting it to the DLA compound the interest? If not then this is probably much easier than faffing around with NICs.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Your second priority is to resolve the issue of the BIK on the loan. Check with your accountant to see if NI is chargeable on the whole loan or just the amount over £5k (I think it might be the former). You will need to declare this on your P11D and pay Class 1A NI contributions.
    It's the former. But you only need declare it if you don't pay interest on it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    And here I am. So 11k as directors loans and a possible investigation (as advised by my accountant) OR 12k as net salary and £2,300 tax the pay next month.
    I don't think you get to choose how to treat your payments to date. IANAA so you will need to ask yours or wait for an accountant on here to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that in the absence of any payroll or dividend paperwork, your payments to date are a directors loan.

If you make the PAYE submission as advised by your accountant, then you can offset the salary declared against your loan and pay off the balance by declaring a dividend (assuming you have enough retained profit to do this). Clearing the loan correctly should be your first priority.

Your second priority is to resolve the issue of the BIK on the loan. Check with your accountant to see if NI is chargeable on the whole loan or just the amount over £5k (I think it might be the former). You will need to declare this on your P11D and pay Class 1A NI contributions.

You're unlikely to get investigated if you do this correctly. This is what you pay your accountant for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X