• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contractor pay?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor pay?"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    OP have you read up on IR35?? If not you can ignore most of the comments on this thread for the time being

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    There is no free money. (Well there is if you're on flat rate VAT, but let's not confuse the issue...)
    Flat rate VAT surplus isn't really free money either, as its purpose is to cover any input VAT you would have normally reclaimed on the standard scheme.

To work out your true profit from the flat rate scheme, you should deduct all of your input VAT for the year first.

True, for most of us, there will be a profit, but it can disappear quickly if you make a lot if VATable expenses (or use VAT registered subcontractors).
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 September 2013, 13:20.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    1. Just take dividends this tax year - if you don't get what that entails speak to your accountant. As an employer and an employee you will pay both EE and ER NICs, roughly 25% if you go the Salary route plus most likely 40% tax. So 65%. Contracting for the money?

2. Yes, but you're only saving the CT, not the full expense cost. Also the expenses are coming out of your/the Co's pocket, so fundamentally the more you spunk out, the lower your war chest for when you're benched - and you will be.

3. No, you're only saving the CT, not the full expense cost. £80 in this case.

Accountant first.
    1. WHS. This is what I did.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Has anyone mentioned IR35 to the OP???

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Has anyone mentioned IR35 to the OP???

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    No. That's 45p less profit in the company, which after CT is 36p less dividend available to pay out to your pocket.

Unless somehow you manage to run a car for under 9p/mile* there's no free money.

Basically, what Stek said.

* on fuel costs alone you'd need to be doing 70mpg+
    Good points. I think the OP's rose tinted glasses are slowly slipping down his nose and will soon fall in the mud.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by 325i View Post
    Lastly, how often can i reimburse expenses to my personal account, i presume i can do it on a monthly basis?
    As frequently or as infrequently as you like. Personally I reimburse expenses as a lump sum at year end to reduce the admin, but then it's just mileage and Use of Home allowance. All other legit business expenses (e.g. laptop, stationery, etc.) is charged directly on the company debit card.

All this talk of free money, am i correct in saying that claiming business miles may get you free money? If driving is costing you less than 45p per mile than this is effectively free money?
    No. That's 45p less profit in the company, which after CT is 36p less dividend available to pay out to your pocket.

Unless somehow you manage to run a car for under 9p/mile* there's no free money.

Basically, what Stek said.

* on fuel costs alone you'd need to be doing 70mpg+

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I know many of the questions were basic but i thought Ill ask them on here first rather than going straight to an accountant. Know when i speak to my accoutant, at least i will have some prior knowledge on how it works.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
    Don't forget to read the guides. You have fallen over on just a few very basic concepts that are explained. You can't learn it all by falling over. Read the guides and search the forums. There will be nothing you can think of that are not covered extensively in both.

Best way to search the forum can be found here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

So for example, when you want to know how much you can claim for having an office at home (yes you can!!) you would type...

claim home office site:forums.contractoruk.com in google.

And, before you ask, there is an account recommendation thread...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-requests.html

Leave a comment:

• 325i
    replied
    Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I know many of the questions were basic but i thought Ill ask them on here first rather than going straight to an accountant. Know when i speak to my accoutant, at least i will have some prior knowledge on how it works.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Understood, so basically this 45p per mile helps to reduce your CT bill? For example, my car costs 20p per mile but your telling HMRC that its costing 45p per mile meaning less profit and less CT.
    45p for the first 10k miles, then 25p.

Servicing, repairs, etc eat into that - more miles more costs - I wouldn't bank on that to keep a 325i.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Im hoping that is where the accountant comes in to help.
    You hit the nail on the head there.. He helps... It is still your responsibility to understand your company finances. You do know that when you run a company you are legally responsible for the finances of it. An accountant just provides you a service to help you, not run it for you. He is guided by you and gives advice. To do so little research and not understand the basics is bordering on negligent.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Big thanks to everyone, i think I have finally got my head round it.
    Congratulations on getting your head around the most very basic accounting practice... Now on to the complex stuff....

Lastly, how often can i reimburse expenses to my personal account, i presume i can do it on a monthly basis?
    Correct but incorrect.

All this talk of free money, am i correct in saying that claiming business miles may get you free money? If driving is costing you less than 45p per mile than this is effectively free money?
    Only you are talking about free money. You still have to pay for the petrol you are using, depreciation on your car, extra for business insurance and we haven't even introduced you to the 2 year rule yet. What is free there.

Go umbrella.. it will save you a lot of headaches.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 September 2013, 21:55.

Leave a comment:

• 325i
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Seriously... Go umbrella for 6 months while you learn the ropes. It might be a little more expensive for the 6 months but that is nothing compared to cocking your accounts up...
    Im hoping that is where the accountant comes in to help.

Leave a comment:

• 325i
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Not really - you are still just moving money from your limited to you no matter how much it is. It's you get 80% of it, the HMRC gets 20% of it, your Ltd LOSES 100% of it....

A motto for you - THERE IS NO FREE MONEY!

Your Ltd would get £1000 a week per your example, the most you could 'save' of that is 20% CT on profit, the rest of it is in the 325i pot, either 325l personally, or 325i Ltd.
    Understood, so basically this 45p per mile helps to reduce your CT bill? For example, my car costs 20p per mile but your telling HMRC that its costing 45p per mile meaning less profit and less CT.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Seriously... Go umbrella for 6 months while you learn the ropes. It might be a little more expensive for the 6 months but that is nothing compared to cocking your accounts up...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X