• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Timesheet disagreement with client - legal situation?"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    At the moment, client is refusing to authorise the time for that day. Not cool. With no signed timesheet where do I stand? Only talking about 1/2 days pay here but still its taking the piss.
    It's the principle, right enough. I'd just send the invoice to the agency along with the request that the client asked you to work 1.5 days that day and you did in fact work 1.5 days so you are now billing for 1.5 days but the client refuses to sign that off. Leave it for the agency to fight it out with the client.

It's a bit of a tulipty trick on the client's part though.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    As I said before, you shouldn't bother arguing the toss with the client.

So long as you have evidence that the client wanted you to work that day and that you did indeed work that day then you submit your invoice and chase the agent for payment.

The agent then argues with the client, but since you are "Opt In", then based on work being requested and supplied you are owed that days pay from the agency.

The only alternative is that you shrug your shoulders and walk away.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Indeed is last day. Lets just say these little things have appeared out of the woodwork when the work is done and not before. Strange that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Seems actually open-shut in the OP's favour. Either they pay as they promised for their cockup, or you refuse to work long shifts in future.
    Today's his last day and I doubt he'll be returning so the latter threat isn't much use.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Seems actually open-shut in the OP's favour. Either they pay as they promised for their cockup, or you refuse to work long shifts in future.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Client does not disagree with the hours worked but is disagreeing that they agreed to shift work that day. Basically, they did a rota (and I have email to prove it).
    Can you not use this?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yep. BIG mistake on my part not getting it in writing.
    You don't even have it in an email?

What about the fact they ARE paying you 1.5 days per shift on all the other occasions... that suggests they have agreed to it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its implied elsewhere that your contract is for a professional working day.

If it is then I think you are well and truly shafted as a professional working day really has no legal meaning and could be 7 hours (1 client), 8.5 (another) or flexible depending on that days needs (from 6-12).
    Yep. BIG mistake on my part not getting it in writing.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If the client agreed to pay 1.5 or 2 days for a 12 hour shift, then this is what they should pay. They have clearly accepted 12 hour shifts are NOT covered as a professional day, but extra cover required.
    You assume that the op is more organised than I suspect him to be.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

If it is then I think you are well and truly shafted as a professional working day really has no legal meaning and could be 7 hours (1 client), 8.5 (another) or flexible depending on that days needs (from 6-12).
    If the client agreed to pay 1.5 or 2 days for a 12 hour shift, then this is what they should pay. They have clearly accepted 12 hour shifts are NOT covered as a professional day, but extra cover required.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    That is the plan for now. But, even though this agency is fairly good, I can't see they're going to want to upset their client by kicking off on my behalf for a few quid.

I think the client knows this and has got what they want and is well aware of it.

Could be worse. Direct contractors here got told that because of admin issues there was delay of a few weeks with payment from last month. Yeh right - more like deliberate cashflow management.
    It doesn't matter if they want to take it up with the client or not - they still have to pay you if you did the work. It's their choice to either suck it up, or pass that cost along to the client.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Then invoice and let the agent sort it out. You may want to explain to the agency the situation, otherwise they'll come back to you with "Can you get the timesheet signed?" and you'll just have to explain then.

Don't expect them to understand the implications of being "opted in" (I hate that phrase) until you spell it out to them.
    That is the plan for now. But, even though this agency is fairly good, I can't see they're going to want to upset their client by kicking off on my behalf for a few quid.

I think the client knows this and has got what they want and is well aware of it.

Could be worse. Direct contractors here got told that because of admin issues there was delay of a few weeks with payment from last month. Yeh right - more like deliberate cashflow management.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Then you should know the answer to the question already
    I'll have to check but I always thought the opted in only protected you in the event of HAVING a signed timesheet?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    In.
    Then invoice and let the agent sort it out. You may want to explain to the agency the situation, otherwise they'll come back to you with "Can you get the timesheet signed?" and you'll just have to explain then.

Don't expect them to understand the implications of being "opted in" (I hate that phrase) until you spell it out to them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X