• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Real Risk of IR35 HMRC Investigation"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    in the long run, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

Looking at the overall proportion of GDP in government expenditure, which AFAIR is around mid 40s, any effective marginal tax ate less than that is a win. Anything under 20%? ust to good to be true.
    HMRC Tax Avoidance advice in case anyone is tempted.

HM Revenue & Customs: Tempted by Tax Avoidance?

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    in the long run, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is...

Looking at the overall proportion of GDP in government expenditure, which AFAIR is around mid 40s, any effective marginal tax rate less than that is a win. Anything under 20%? Just to good to be true.
    Last edited by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax; 17 August 2013, 11:59. Reason: can't spell

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    ... or whatever the current flavour is
    The latest flavour is 'Corporate (or Corporation) Tax Planning'.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And how does HMRC know that you have had your contracts reviewed, have insurance, PCG membership, etc?

I imagine there are much easier ways to detect likely targets from a simple DB query looking for warning signs.
    The initial contact prior to investigation being declared. I've taken it for granted that the targets would be found using, as you say, a straight-forward DB query. Following that I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to then investigate or not is made following that initial contact.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Thank goodness UKContractorAccountant can offer

✓ Tax-efficient Structures.
    Retain up to 90% of your contract income with our tax structures designed to minimise your overall tax liabilities.

Presumably such a scheme removes any IR35 concerns.

Where do I sign?
    Really?? I will investigate and if necessary do the needful...

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Isn't amazing how these 90% boys all go quiet when you ask for details - come on OP what have you got to say for yourself

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Oude Joris QC120, PO Box 120, Netherlands Antilles.
    Yeah I'm a member of that - it's even better as I said.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    And ones they don't like eg. the tens of thousands who have used ebt/loan type schemes.
    I thought it diplomatic not to mention that. But yes, there was a movement to arrangements hmrc found even less palatable to trg and gain clarity of ones affairs.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's because there is someone on here with a better scheme....

Can't take the competition.
    Oude Joris QC120, PO Box 120, Netherlands Antilles.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GazCol View Post
    As this is a revenue exercise for HMRC I wouldn't be surprised if they have a filtering mechanism in place whereby group 1, i.e. those that know and are prepared for IR35 (PCG membership, qdos insurance, contract reviews, etc), are of even less risk of investigation as HMRC knows it’s chances of success are far lower when compared to picking on group 2
    And how does HMRC know that you have had your contracts reviewed, have insurance, PCG membership, etc?

I imagine there are much easier ways to detect likely targets from a simple DB query looking for warning signs.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's because there is someone on here with an even riskier scheme....

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I saw one scheme on Twitter earlier stating you can take home up to 93% - I'd love to know how it works!
    Easy - they take 7% and you sort out your own tax

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I saw one scheme on Twitter earlier stating you can take home up to 93% - I'd love to know how it works!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    That's because there is someone on here with a better scheme....

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    OP seems to have gone awfully quiet doesn't he

Leave a comment:

Working...
X