• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Receipts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Receipts"

Collapse

• Bradley
    replied
    The last word?

Originally posted by ASB
    That's alright. I don't need to
    I'm really happy for you

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradley
    Don't feel bad
    That's alright. I don't need to

Leave a comment:

• Bradley
    replied
    You know I'm right

Originally posted by ASB
    What you said was that you need the receipt. i.e. an absolute requirement.
    Need is not an absolute. Perhaps if I'd said required you may have a point.

In any event the point is that you pretty much are required to have the receipts to fend off Hector and most contractors should therefore retain their receipts.

Don't feel bad

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    This is the point I was making
    What you said was that you need the receipt. i.e. an absolute requirement.

What I actually said was that there is not an absolute requirement for it, but without them it may be difficult.

Personally I have not had any difficultly getting an inspector to accept it in an aspect enquiry but have not been through a full compliance review since the regime change.

glad you've now caught up
    I was never behind anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Bradley
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    So for practical purposes it may make it considerably easier to defend a challenge by having the receipts ...
    This is the point I was making - glad you've now caught up

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    ASB - if you think about what HMRC say in their guidance, the only way that you can do all the checks they suggest is to refer to the receipts.
    Bradley, I don't dispute that would make it easier but

"Employees are not required to produce receipts for any amount claimed in respect of incidental overnight expenses (formerly PIEs) as long as it is within the prescribed maximum."

In order to verify the validity of the PIE claim the IR can verify (from the employer) that you were away on business. They could then request the expense claim for the trip (as per their guidance). They then check this does not include incidental already (e.g. phone, laundry etc).

There you go. No need at all for a receipt for the incidentals being claimed.

So for practical purposes it may make it considerably easier to defend a challenge by having the receipts but it is not an absolute requirement.

Leave a comment:

• Bradley
    replied
    Misunderstood

Originally posted by ASB
    You are mistaken. Receipts are not required. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk//manuals/nimmanual/NIM06030.htm

And for the OP receipts are not strictly necessary. However this is the most convenient method of satisfying to an inspector the expenditure took place.
    ASB - if you think about what HMRC say in their guidance, the only way that you can do all the checks they suggest is to refer to the receipts.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You still need receipts to prove that the PIE payment was properly calculated.
    You are mistaken. Receipts are not required. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk//manuals/nimmanual/NIM06030.htm

And for the OP receipts are not strictly necessary. However this is the most convenient method of satisfying to an inspector the expenditure took place.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Why biased??????????? How much of that £200 do you get Mal?? Talk about
    Nothing. Amazingly, it is possible to support something without having to be paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• Bradley
    replied
    Receipts

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
    Anyone who says you don't need receipts is talking tulipe. Especially if they are an umbrella.

Other than your staying away from home PIE limit of a fiver a day, you have to be able to prove (and justify) expenditure for EVERYTHING.
    You still need receipts to prove that the PIE payment was properly calculated.

Leave a comment:

• delsvan
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Haha!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Talk about
    Ok

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Hmmm... You may find http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...759&Itemid=321 rather more informative and unbiased, especially the Guide to Freelancing.

And make sure you join anyway, it will be the best £200 you spend.
    Why biased??????????? How much of that £200 do you get Mal?? Talk about

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    I'm not selling or reccomanding this service but this page may answer your questions.
    Hmmm... You may find http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...759&Itemid=321 rather more informative and unbiased, especially the Guide to Freelancing.

And make sure you join anyway, it will be the best £200 you spend.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I'm not selling or reccomanding this service but this page may answer your questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X