• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you're a contractor and pay yourself a salary then you'll get taxed 65.8%"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Speaking with HMRC I have been told that what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling, with dividends being taken out of what remains i.e. company profit.
    The amount of work I do on an average day, £7k salary is too much.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    I hope the poster owns the company, as if not they they may well be out of a job, once they have finished the website of course...

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    For comparison with what you could pay out by other means, the percentage needs to be of "cost to employer" (i.e. salary + employer NI) rather than just salary. So it's (40% + 2% + 13.8%) / (100% + 13.8%) = 49%.

In comparison £100 of company profit would become £80 after corporation tax, pay dividend of £80, with tax credit that's £80/90% = £88.88, higher rate tax of 32.5% * £88.88 = £28.88 leaves you with £88.88 - £28.88 = £60, so 40% tax.

A pension contribution will ultimately be taxed at 0%, 15%, or 30%, on average, depending on whether at the time it is taken the income falls in the personal allowance, basic rate or higher rate bands. (25% tax-free lump sum, so for basic rate tax is 20% * 75% = 15%, for higher rate tax = 40% * 75% = 30%.)

Leave a comment:

• titan
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    I'm politely wandering if you had a liquid lunch before posting? Or maybe I did, since I'm the only one who appears to see a problem with this.

The 40% tax band starts at £32,010 of taxable income, in other words, given the personal allowance of £9,440 it starts at £32,010 + £9,440 = £41,450 of income.

12% employee NI on earnings above £7,755 up to £41,450, after which it drops to 2%. So you do not pay 12% employee NI and 40% tax on any chunk of income.
    I was thinking exactly the same and was confused only because nobody else seems to have realized this. I too think the max you pay iss 55.8% (40 + 2 + 13.8). Still, not saying in any way that this is not a significant chunk to be parting with!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Speaking with HMRC I have been told that what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling, with dividends being taken out of what remains i.e. company profit.

Now I have no idea if that is true or not and whether or not that knocks you off their target list. However, I am pretty sure it reduces risk, which is good enough for me.
    Absolutely, under those circumstances they´ll have the feeling the tax take is reasonable and then they go after the minimum wagers.

I don´t quite follow the logic that an HMRC officials treat all the contractors the same. It´s obvious they´ll focus on the ones avoiding the most, because that´s where they have the most to gain, given they can´t investigate everyone.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorAccountant View Post
    Slightly over-dramatic but in 13/14 if you pay yourself a salary through your own Ltd company then the income between £32,010 and £41,450 will be hit by 65.8% "tax": 40% income tax + 12% Employee NI + 13.8% Employer NI.
    I'm politely wandering if you had a liquid lunch before posting? Or maybe I did, since I'm the only one who appears to see a problem with this.

The 40% tax band starts at £32,010 of taxable income, in other words, given the personal allowance of £9,440 it starts at £32,010 + £9,440 = £41,450 of income.

12% employee NI on earnings above £7,755 up to £41,450, after which it drops to 2%. So you do not pay 12% employee NI and 40% tax on any chunk of income.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 31 May 2013, 22:23.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    About as impressive of his tax knowledge IMO.
    Details

form done by bobs?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Is this your site? Impressive.
    About as impressive of his tax knowledge IMO.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorAccountant View Post
    Sorry folks. Got my tax years mixed up. Updated the original post. And yes, actually setting the salary exactly equal to the primary threshold was just hypothetical. I should have been clearer about that.
    Is this your site? Impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    ...what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling...
    I think our bobs cost something like £10k a year...

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I would imagine that only those caught by IR35 would pay themselves such a high salary anyway

Now I have no idea if that is true or not and whether or not that knocks you off their target list. However, I am pretty sure it reduces risk, which is good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    You should only worry about being investigated if you have something to hide!

If you ask for, receive and follow good professional advice then any HMRC enquiry should be fine, with nothing to worry about.
    Absolutely, although from what I gather, the process itself can be a PITA, so given the choice.... But you're absolute correct, and IR35 is such a non-issue in that respect - get new work, complete the due diligence, join PCG+ and then forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    You should only worry about being investigated if you have something to hide!

If you ask for, receive and follow good professional advice then any HMRC enquiry should be fine, with nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    According to Bob Jones an ex-Inland Revenue tax inspector, paying yourself a minimum salary does make you a prime target.

What triggers an IR35 investigation? :: Contractor UK
    Yeah, but I think that's a given, and covers the vast majority of contractors. Arguing about the precise level of that minimum salary is a non-issue IMHO. Anyone who thinks that paying themselves a minimum wage of 12k and paying some NI will reduce the risk of them being targeted is probably mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    According to Bob Jones an ex-Inland Revenue tax inspector, paying yourself a minimum salary does make you a prime target.

What triggers an IR35 investigation? :: Contractor UK

Such was the warning yesterday from Bob Jones, an ex-Inland Revenue tax inspector, who outlined the typical appearance of a taxpayer the agency's IR35 inspectors might approach.

"Someone operating through a limited company who has relatively low turnover; is the sole director; has minimal expenses; pays [themselves] the minimum wage but has large dividends."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X