• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you're a contractor and pay yourself a salary then you'll get taxed 65.8%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    According to Bob Jones an ex-Inland Revenue tax inspector, paying yourself a minimum salary does make you a prime target.

What triggers an IR35 investigation? :: Contractor UK
    Yeah, but I think that's a given, and covers the vast majority of contractors. Arguing about the precise level of that minimum salary is a non-issue IMHO. Anyone who thinks that paying themselves a minimum wage of 12k and paying some NI will reduce the risk of them being targeted is probably mistaken.

Comment

You should only worry about being investigated if you have something to hide!

If you ask for, receive and follow good professional advice then any HMRC enquiry should be fine, with nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
        You should only worry about being investigated if you have something to hide!

If you ask for, receive and follow good professional advice then any HMRC enquiry should be fine, with nothing to worry about.
        Absolutely, although from what I gather, the process itself can be a PITA, so given the choice.... But you're absolute correct, and IR35 is such a non-issue in that respect - get new work, complete the due diligence, join PCG+ and then forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          I would imagine that only those caught by IR35 would pay themselves such a high salary anyway
          Speaking with HMRC I have been told that what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling, with dividends being taken out of what remains i.e. company profit.

Now I have no idea if that is true or not and whether or not that knocks you off their target list. However, I am pretty sure it reduces risk, which is good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            ...what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling...
            I think our bobs cost something like £10k a year...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorAccountant View Post
              Sorry folks. Got my tax years mixed up. Updated the original post. And yes, actually setting the salary exactly equal to the primary threshold was just hypothetical. I should have been clearer about that.
              Is this your site? Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Is this your site? Impressive.
                About as impressive of his tax knowledge IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  About as impressive of his tax knowledge IMO.
                  Details

form done by bobs?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorAccountant View Post
                    Slightly over-dramatic but in 13/14 if you pay yourself a salary through your own Ltd company then the income between £32,010 and £41,450 will be hit by 65.8% "tax": 40% income tax + 12% Employee NI + 13.8% Employer NI.
                    I'm politely wandering if you had a liquid lunch before posting? Or maybe I did, since I'm the only one who appears to see a problem with this.

The 40% tax band starts at £32,010 of taxable income, in other words, given the personal allowance of £9,440 it starts at £32,010 + £9,440 = £41,450 of income.

12% employee NI on earnings above £7,755 up to £41,450, after which it drops to 2%. So you do not pay 12% employee NI and 40% tax on any chunk of income.
                    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 31 May 2013, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                      Speaking with HMRC I have been told that what they expect is someone to take a salary appropriate to the role they are fulfilling, with dividends being taken out of what remains i.e. company profit.

Now I have no idea if that is true or not and whether or not that knocks you off their target list. However, I am pretty sure it reduces risk, which is good enough for me.
                      Absolutely, under those circumstances they´ll have the feeling the tax take is reasonable and then they go after the minimum wagers.

I don´t quite follow the logic that an HMRC officials treat all the contractors the same. It´s obvious they´ll focus on the ones avoiding the most, because that´s where they have the most to gain, given they can´t investigate everyone.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X