• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the most you've spent on software?"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Not in the multi-£k area,

MS Action Pack £300, well worth it.
    UltraEdit - My must have text editor, around $60 for a lifetime licence, all upgrades etc
    UltraCompare - Similar price to UltraEdit
    WinZip
    VNC

and a couple of other small purchases.

Having said that, a C# dev at current ClientCo, has been getting client co to buy things like, DevExpress, SyncFusion and some other libraries which are near the prices you quote.

As others have said if I was looking to buy something at the prices you mention I would need to know it was going to make me some money to cover the cost.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 7 January 2013, 09:02.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its slightly more than that in a production environment.
    I was being facetious

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Its slightly more than that in a production environment.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Staying with the OP's original question for a moment, what do you think a dual processor licence for SQL Server costs?
    About £50

MICROSOFT E32-00941 SQL Server Developer Edition 2012 - (Software Office Software): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    Yes, because their library can only be used on their propriety LMS (which is tulip), whereas mine is SCORM compliant so works on any LMS. I do my homework.
    I wouldn't wish knowing about SCORM and LMSs on my worst enemy. Sadly I do. "Tulip" doesn't do it justice.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    Yes, because their library can only be used on their propriety LMS (which is tulip), whereas mine is SCORM compliant so works on any LMS. I do my homework.

Thanks all.
    Glad to hear it. I wasn't trying to prove a point just making sure you had thought it through. I'm so used to people claiming that they will succeed simply by being cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Most I've spent it £1000 on some BI reporting software. I normally spend £500 odd on some software, but if it's above that I try and use 30 day instances.

Training though. Most paid was £3500 for a 3 day course.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Do you think saving a company 5-10% is going to be enough to get them to buy your unknown, untested library compared to the known already used in the real world competition?

Thanks everyone else for your comments. Like I said, I'm not worried about 'justifying' it per se, I was just curious to see what other people spent on software so I could gauge whether I was spending a lot, and also whether people did anything to help justify to HMRC if they query the expense. I like to do things by the book, so just wondered what other people did - seems like there's nothing special I need to do, such as meeting minutes(!) and it also sounds like compared to some people £2K is not a lot to spend at all!.

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If it's what you do you need to buy it, otherwise you don't have a business.

I thought £700 for Visual Studio 2010 was a bit steep, but then they did a special upgrade offer for £280. So actually £280 is the most I've ever paid for software.
    You paid for Microsoft stuff? Who would have thought it

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    If it's what you do you need to buy it, otherwise you don't have a business.

I thought £700 for Visual Studio 2010 was a bit steep, but then they did a special upgrade offer for £280. So actually £280 is the most I've ever paid for software.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    "The software" refers to the software the OP wants to buy, and the point being made is precisely "who would buy such things for personal use".

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    £2K is just the license that allows me to develop on the system. The system requires licenses in the tens of thousands - but I don't pay that myself.

Unless you're using the software for personal purposes, I can't see there ever being a problem.
    Don't want to be rude but the the hell would want to use a SAP development licence for personal purposes? That would be like having a full server system, rack. UPS and all in the loft.... oh, crap, just like our server techies have.....

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Staying with the OP's original question for a moment, what do you think a dual processor licence for SQL Server costs? Significantly more than the software you are talking about. I wouldn't worry about justifying it - you can do that with your sales

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
    Where did he say the competition were known and trusted?
    Where does he say anything about his competition apart from price? The problem is that price is not enough to be successful.

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    Do you think saving a company 5-10% is going to be enough to get them to buy your unknown, untested library compared to the known already used in the real world competition?

as for software I buy what I need as I need it. If a £3000 will make me £4000 extra in a year I would buy it.
    Where did he say the competition were known and trusted?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X