• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gym membership

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gym membership"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The "shower only" membership is worth a try, they might not be able to comprehend it in their computer system but you never know you might find a human being working there if you try!
    And probably more chance of achieving this with an independent gym rather than national chain, I would guess.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good argument Wanderer. 30 miles a day is £6 and that should cover gym membership.

A bit confused though, if client doesn't have a gym then you'd have to cycle to the gym, have a shower and then cycle some more to work?

The "shower only" membership is worth a try, they might not be able to comprehend it in their computer system but you never know you might find a human being working there if you try!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    And it's only 4p a mile more if you ride a motorcycle (which costs substantially more to run with insurance and fuel etc) so I think the 20p/mile is supposed to cover the cost of showering at the end of the ride so that's what the OP should claim and pay gym membership out of that...
    Quite right

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    You can claim 20p per mile for cycling to work
    And it's only 4p a mile more if you ride a motorcycle (which costs substantially more to run with insurance and fuel etc) so I think the 20p/mile is supposed to cover the cost of showering at the end of the ride so that's what the OP should claim and pay gym membership out of that...

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Well that was a singularly useless post. I realise I can claim for my pants if I want to pay BIK. My question was can I claim it as a legitimate expense, as it is solely and exclusively for business use - I'd be able to claim mileage if I were driving.

I would suggest if you're not sweating after cycling 15 miles, you're not cycling hard enough.
    You can claim 20p per mile for cycling to work HM Revenue & Customs: Travel - mileage and fuel allowances. You cannot claim however for the cost of the gym membership:

1. duality of purpose - you would gain a potential personal benefit from the membership which then wipes out the wholly and exclusively argument
    2. you chose to travel to work by bicycle - it is not required by the contract that you do so
    3. Presumably there are wash basins at work that you could use? Although not as convenient as a shower they would allow you to have a wash

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Not on the defensive at all. My understanding was that expenses were allowable as long as they were 'solely and exclusively for the purposes of the business'.

Q. Would I need to join a gym so I can have a shower if I was not working in location X?
    A. No

Therefore is it claimable? Dunno - which I why I asked. Neither Mal's post, nor your 1st post addressed this.
    ok I'll bite... at a stretch you could argue it as subsistence, since you're claiming for the travel mileage anyway so it's a business expense.

Same argument as claiming for meals and accommodation - you need food and shelter to survive, but still considered "wholly for business" if associated with valid business travel.

Good luck though... I imagine an HMRC inspector would see the Gym membership and immediately want to slap it down as BiK and ask why it's not on the P11D, and your 'excuse' will be seen as taking the piss then you're just asking for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    I would go with the HMRC view on gym memberships provided to employees;
    EIM21825 - Particular benefits: exemption for sports and recreation facilities: general

As your gym wouldn't be a "qualifying sports facility", and given you want to avoid the P11D scenario, then you might have to wear the cost of this yourself.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Get a gym membership for a place that has multiple facilities across the country. Virgin Active for example. That way, although it'll be your expense, you will be able to make more of it than just using it to shower there. Otherwise, considering it is your choice to cycle rather than drive, I doubt you'll stand a chance at getting that through HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• Murder1
    replied
    Personally I pay my gym membership. I did look over 18 months ago at whether or not I could claim it as an expense but given the risk v reward I decided I'd rather pay it than:

a. Flag any unwanted attention to my books either from the accountant or HMRC
    b. Not be able to justify it should I get audited.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe cycle a bit slower.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Write to your tax office asking them this question, get their response in writing and then you have the necessary evidence (either way) in the event of any investigation. At least you will have an official answer from the one area that will matter in this situation i.e. HMRC and not just a thread contributed to by strangers from an internet forum.

The downside may be to put you on their radar.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Is there not a Leisure center near by? Or could you ask them to mark your membership as "shower only" so you can sort of prove that you didn't use it to do some weights.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just to add, how much are you really going to save by doing this. Is it worth it for the extra attention? I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    There are no rights and wrongs.

You need to be able to justify the expense to HMRC as wholly/exclusively/necessarily if they ever audit you. Only you can do that. Its not impossible, but its fair to say they will start from the position that you are trying a fast one.

You may need to justify the expense to your accountant, otherwise they may be making a POCA suspicion report.

Either way the gym contract would need to be in the company name to be safe.

In summary, its possible, but you are starting from a disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you use shorts and wicking shirt then no sweat. You will not smell if you shower/bath every night. However your muscles will hurt like hell.

You will not be able to claim. But the health benefits should make it worth your while. I just bought waterproof trousers/jacket. Hi Viz.
    Got any recommendations? I've got a bunch of Endura stuff for the summers, and for winter I usually use DHB longs and an Endura windproof jacket.

I've not quite managed iron distance like you, but I did a couple of Olympics this year, and hope to have a stab at 1/2 iron next year. I previously did a slightly shorter (couple of miles less), and found that I could only do 4 days a week. It wasn't the distance so much as the constant stress of a hard 50 mins exercise every few hours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X