• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Income Splitting If Not Married"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    But so much of what we do is artifical - We take a small salary and dividend on purpose to minimise our tax - We work through companies when we are really nothing more then disguised employees
    Yes. It is a bit dodgy, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Of course it's fine - you go for it. Your accountant and HMRC are wrong.

I do love the way people argue with those who explain the rules. It ain't us wot makes them.

Do what you like with your eyes open, and argue with HMRC if/when they come a-knocking.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Don't be so sure. I drfit between senior management and strategic service architecture roles depending on what's available. Even on my rates I would earn more - even after tax - as a permie, with starting salaries around £95k and a decent package and being paid 12 months a year plus holidays.

Doing it my way I get to have a month off to visit friends in New Zealand when I fancy it. I don't have to worry about career paths, promotions, politics and peer envy. I definitely don't have to deal with Human Remains and all that personnel rubbish. I work in many and varied clients, ranging from banks to governments to mobile phone companies to manufacturing. I have a constant refresh on my knowledge and get to meet some seriously interesting challenges. I can work 6 months a year and still pay the paper bill. I make my own decisions and am rarely, if ever, under anyone else's control (they only think they are).

It's called being content.
    Mal content?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    So tell us the reasons - Quality of work and challenging environments yes?

Nothing at all to do with the fact you can make 2 * perm salary after tax?

If you want all the nice things that contracting supposedly gives you (apart from the tax break) why dont you become perm for 12 months and move around once a year? The answer : Becuase you, like me, want the money
    Don't be so sure. I drfit between senior management and strategic service architecture roles depending on what's available. Even on my rates I would earn more - even after tax - as a permie, with starting salaries around £95k and a decent package and being paid 12 months a year plus holidays.

Doing it my way I get to have a month off to visit friends in New Zealand when I fancy it. I don't have to worry about career paths, promotions, politics and peer envy. I definitely don't have to deal with Human Remains and all that personnel rubbish. I work in many and varied clients, ranging from banks to governments to mobile phone companies to manufacturing. I have a constant refresh on my knowledge and get to meet some seriously interesting challenges. I can work 6 months a year and still pay the paper bill. I make my own decisions and am rarely, if ever, under anyone else's control (they only think they are).

It's called being content.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    In seriousness, why don't you just do one?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    In seriousness, why don't you just use a vehicle like Breeze?
    Cant be arsed to google it but is Breeze one of those dodgy offshore things?

If Aussie gets caught though they might deport him :-)

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

If you want all the nice things that contracting supposedly gives you (apart from the tax break) why dont you become perm for 12 months and move around once a year? The answer : Becuase you, like me, want the money
    In seriousness, why don't you just use a vehicle like Breeze?

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I'm a freelance for many reasons. Saving tax is a long way down the list.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Why do people like the OP get pissed off when they cant do their dodgy deals?

Them's the rules, or at least that's the court case that allows income splitting between spouses. No good moaning that it should apply to other circumstances because it doesn't. Simple as.

Big difference like someone said between running a business properly and making things tax efficient, and then doing stupid things like paying your parents. £80K or whatever to parents and they wont be paying it back. Yeah right!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Correct - It is my parents who will start a company and the recruitment agent will sign a new contract with them and pay them. I cannot see a problem with this either which is why I have come to this board to see what I am missing

The plan is for them to take 35K dividends each and a 10K salary which they WILL NOT gift to me. The money will be used by them

If anyone investigates us we can say that I am a simple employee and my parents are the shareholders - Even though they do very little they are the 'brains' behind securing a contract and using me as an employee.

In fact you could go so far as saying that this is entrepreneurial as they are creating jobs (albeit at the outset just for s a family member) !!!
    Yeh. You could do the parent thing but you've got to justify the 10K salary they get as well.

Are you really going to let your parents take £85K a year? And they're not giving it back to you?

Not being funny but HMRC aint dull, are they?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ecc83 View Post
    I thought if your wife didn't have some demonstrable role in the company, then that was purely avoidance also?
    Why? Ever own any barclays shares? Do you do any work for them?

Shareholding not relevant to work or role in company.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But so much of what we do is artifical - We take a small salary and dividend on purpose to minimise our tax - We work through companies when we are really nothing more then disguised employees
    How someone can have such a poor grasp of the way they work, particularly when it involves running a company is totally beyond me. I hope HMRC come after people like this first before the others that are attempting to run their affairs properly.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Arranging your affairs so that you pay as little tax as possible is fine. Putting in artificial arrangements to work around the nature, scope and spirit of tax law is another thing altogether. Anything that is done for purely tax reasons, as opposed to commercial reasons, stands a chance of being challenged. There are often specific anti-avoidance provisions in the legislation for that very reason.

It would be like an employee getting their wages paid to their kids/parents/grandparents in order to split it across them and pay no tax at all. It's possible, but it's clearly an artificial structure set up for no reason but to avoid tax.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    So pay full tax on your income then. What's the problem?

Seriously, if you can't see the difference betwen pretending to be a contractor and taking a minimal salary to avoid paying NICs, and working as a freelance contractor taking advantage of the tax breaks available to people who take a degree of financial risk to earn money, you're probably not best placed to make such assertions.

I'm a freelance for many reasons. Saving tax is a long way down the list.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That it's artificial.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X