• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New IR35 Guidance hot off the presses"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    We don't know how this is going to pan out. But the enquiry letters will be darkening the door mats fairly soon. In other words wait 6 months and keep a close eye on the PCG website for news. Either there will be alarm bells ringing as the PCG is inundated with claims or it's business as usual, i.e. there ramping up means they investigate 30 contractors a year instead of 15.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Interesting. In current client, anyone who doesnt have PCG insurance coverage or similar is just mad.

I've got standard PCG but considering upgrading to Plus to avoid all the hassle if it comes my way.
    Could be worth it bearing in mind you start worrying just because the client sends you an email

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I do believe there could be a crack down.

This happened in Germany. For years nothing much happened on disguised employment and then suddenly they got serious. I think most freelancers had to deal with it. Not to say that you all get caught but you may have to think about it seriously.

That's why I think it would be very wise indeed to looks at your working practices and get them sorted out.

We'll wait and see...could be a damp squib of course, but I would certainly have the antenna out.

The following makes sobering reading

HMRC

Emphasises that HMRC are ramping this up seriously.
    Interesting. In current client, anyone who doesnt have PCG insurance coverage or similar is just mad.

I've got standard PCG but considering upgrading to Plus to avoid all the hassle if it comes my way.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 30 May 2012, 15:11. Reason: yes you can upgrade part way

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I think it just all depends on how woolly the definitions end up being - if past history is anything to go by they should be as clear as mud

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    I think that is the case for a LOT of contractors out there...
    In my 12 years experience, this is not the case. We may well influence some technology decisions which end up being adopted or manage a project outsourcing the support desk, but that's hardly controlling and directing the activities of the organisation (as a whole).

The Student Loans guy was a clear example. He could be said to be generally steering the ship. Me recommending software package A over software package B would hardly equate.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    Seriously, how many of their 40% of IT contract staff are going to be "senior" enough to: ...
    I think that is the case for a LOT of contractors out there...

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Seriously, how many of their 40% of IT contract staff are going to be "senior" enough to: -

"control and direct the activities of the organisation – for example members of the senior management team"

Less than 1%?

It's got more holes than a Swiss cheese convention.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I do believe there could be a crack down.

This happened in Germany. For years nothing much happened on disguised employment and then suddenly they got serious. I think most freelancers had to deal with it. Not to say that you all get caught but you may have to think about it seriously.

That's why I think it would be very wise indeed to looks at your working practices and get them sorted out.

We'll wait and see...could be a damp squib of course, but I would certainly have the antenna out.

The following makes sobering reading

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...ews&Itemid=995

Emphasises that HMRC are ramping this up seriously.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 May 2012, 12:30.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Makes you wonder doesn't it Scooby Where will it all end?

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Start of the witch hunt??

New rules to tax state PSC contractors as employees :: Contractor UK

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Just to be picky, the national average is aound £28k. Add the various overheads and the cost of employment to support that wage is pretty much £45k...
    Yeah that is exactly my point, a person on the "average" is not going to be that keen to give up and live on JSA.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Yeah I know there is but generally those people are on much less than £180 a day. Don't forget that that is a gross income of over £45k per annum which is much higher than an average "wage".
    Just to be picky, the national average is aound £28k. Add the various overheads and the cost of employment to support that wage is pretty much £45k...

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are a lot of people who won't travel 10 miles to do a job let alone do a 120 mile return journey.
    Yeah I know there is but generally those people are on much less than £180 a day. Don't forget that that is a gross income of over £45k per annum which is much higher than an average "wage".

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Do you really think someone on £180 a day will sit on JSA??
    There are a lot of people who won't travel 10 miles to do a job let alone do a 120 mile return journey.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    BBC News - Tax effort stunted by job cuts, say MPs

So we already know they are clamping down (trying to) on MSCs, but what gets me is comments like this:

No, some of us are trying to run a business and build it up.

Those working in the public sector may not be there long... Soon will come the day they realise they have no skills available and that the contractors they once relied on are either charging more or "not available"

What is it that these people dont get? Perviously, didnt the Conservatives prompt small business / entrepreneurism?
    Do you think they got their M's and their P's mixed up? MSC's were outlawed donkeys years ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X