• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I employ myself and my wife to pay salary?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by anddrew View Post
    I established my company only two months ago. Now some accountant told me it will be possible to add my wife as a shareholder retroactively (i.e from start of the company). Is this really possible?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• anddrew
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...e-company.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html

All threads here

wife site:forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/ - Google Search

There is also a question hanging over making your wife a partner in your company. It can go horribly wrong if you start having problems. She will own half your company.
    Thanks for this links.

I established my company only two months ago. Now some accountant told me it will be possible to add my wife as a shareholder retroactively (i.e from start of the company). Is this really possible?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Yes, I think paying slightly less at £624/month may be a better salary as there will be no NI/PAYE due on that amount and net dividends of up to £31,488.

For some reason my accountant recommended £600 salary though.
    Laziness because £600 is a round figure I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Yes, I think paying slightly less at £624/month may be a better salary as there will be no NI/PAYE due on that amount and net dividends of up to £31,488.

For some reason my accountant recommended £600 salary though.

You might want to pay your wife less salary depending on how much work she does for the company. If her input is negligible then just give her the shares/dividends and don't pay a salary - we hear that HMRC can get a bit grumpy if your spouse does no obvious work to earn her salary. I can't help but think of all those MP's wives who were paid a salary out of MPs expenses for doing bugger all though...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    I don't think he's been with us yet
    Can I help you with that coat?

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    WHS. Unless the OP has already been in touch with the said Accountant outside this forum, I wonder how the Accountant has come to the said conclusion.
    I don't think he's been with us yet

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yes, you're over-stretching yourself with IR35 Nick, unless you've seen the contract and know their working practices.

I wouldn't advise trying to FUD a contractor forum...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what factors in the OP points towards being subject to IR35?
    WHS. Unless the OP has already been in touch with the said Accountant outside this forum, I wonder how the Accountant has come to the said conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by Kime OBrien View Post
    From what you say in you query, I suspect you might be subject to the IR35 rules. If that is so, then it will be of no benefit to employ your wife, as the allowable deductions under IR35 are fixed and very limited. [/url]
    Just out of curiosity, what factors in the OP points towards being subject to IR35?

Leave a comment:

• Kime OBrien
    replied
    IR35

Hi Andrew,

Employing your wife is common practice, but be warned that HMRC look closely at such arrangements in a small business, and you may be asked to justify her contribution to the functioning of the company for the deduction of her salary to be allowable for Corporation Tax purposes.

From what you say in you query, I suspect you might be subject to the IR35 rules. If that is so, then it will be of no benefit to employ your wife, as the allowable deductions under IR35 are fixed and very limited. Take advice from your accountant, if you have one, particularly as HMRC are tightening up on IR35, and have recently issued a 12-point "checklist" to determine whether a business is genuinely independent.

Nick O'Brien

<mod note>
    Hi Nick,
    Please read the T&C of this board. Blatant advertising is not allowed. You can ask admin to change your login to [email protected] and promote your company whilst advising posters.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    If the couple are unmarried then of course it would not (currently) be split upon seperation, so from this point of view adding a partner to whom you are not married as a shareholder exposes greater financial risk.
    Not being married opens the possibility of a settlements legislation investigation as well - Arctic settled it finally for married couples, since there is an explicit exemption for married couples.

If not married, then you are probably going to get stuffed under the Ramsay principle.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There is also a question hanging over making your wife a partner in your company. It can go horribly wrong if you start having problems. She will own half your company.
    In reality it should make little difference. The company will be matrimonial property anyway. As such it's value just goes into the pot of assets to be split. Though actually agreeing a value can be difficult. Retained shareholders funds less the productive depreciating assets is probably a fair starting point.

I do take the point though that if the spouse is a significant shareholder it can make the process more difficult if they are reluctant to pass their shares to the other spouse at a realistic price.

If the couple are unmarried then of course it would not (currently) be split upon seperation, so from this point of view adding a partner to whom you are not married as a shareholder exposes greater financial risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...e-company.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...d-company.html

All threads here

wife site:forums.contractoruk.com/accounting-legal/ - Google Search

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This is asked weekly and is a hot topic. What you want to do is blatent avoidance so there is an element of risk you have to understand and be happy with. Giving her shares if you have a big lump in the company will certainly be a problem.

I will try dig a few of the longer threads out.

Oh this is also covered in detail in the newbie guides to the right. Read those first.

Leave a comment:

• anddrew
    replied
    Thanks for your answer!

My accountants ignore me, I will leave them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X