• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Termination"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    As has been asked on here before, there does seem little point having a notice period if the client can ignore it.
    People need to learn the difference between "You will be out of work in four weeks", "The resources are now more than we need", "You're out of work now becuase we;ve canned the project" and "You're an incometent oaf that we don't need any more".

Only one of those requires a notice period, and even then it could be dispensed with. Agencies and Human Remains only put notice periods in our contracts because they're too f***ing dumb to work out they're not necessary. So all the angst and "I want paying" causes me endless merriment and not a little despair.

Contractors aren't permies. You want guaranteed notice, the solution is simple.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    As has been asked on here before, there does seem little point having a notice period if the client can ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Here kitty, kitty!

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    i feel for your 'friend', terminated on a sunday afternoon, how very dare they

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by pete987654 View Post
    It seems my friend has no chance.
    No, your "friend" doesn't have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Not if he's a contractor - that's life.

Leave a comment:

• pete987654
    replied
    My apologies

It seems my friend has no chance.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by pete987654 View Post
    Hi,

Is it legal for a contract to include a clause which states "the contract can be terminated without paying the notice period", if "the client requests the supplier stops working at an office for any reason".

A friend's contract has just been terminated for this reason and they are not paying any notice, obviously my friends Ltd company should never have signed this contract, but would this stand up in court, or could he get them to pay the notice?

Any help appreciated!
    This really is an incredibly frequently asked question

Leave a comment:

• pete987654
    started a topic Contract Termination

Contract Termination

Hi,

Is it legal for a contract to include a clause which states "the contract can be terminated without paying the notice period", if "the client requests the supplier stops working at an office for any reason".

A friend's contract has just been terminated for this reason and they are not paying any notice, obviously my friends Ltd company should never have signed this contract, but would this stand up in court, or could he get them to pay the notice?

Any help appreciated!

Working...
X