• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mileage question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mileage question"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Secondly (and linked) when I was a permie they used a value of 18p for every mile or something around that so 18px100 is £18. This was a very long time ago as well when petrol was far cheaper so a large margin to work with. They were after the sales guys putting 100's of miles a day in but not leaving the house, not the guy adding 10% to the 20 miles a month he does.
    I had that when I was a permie. In the end this didn't work as it's not hard to get fuel reciepts from other people, so they capped the amount they could claim per month.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    But AIUI the client wants to see fuel receipts to at least the value of the amount claimed, not just to the value of the fuel needed to drive the miles claimed.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    But AIUI the client wants to see fuel receipts to at least the value of the amount claimed, not just to the value of the fuel needed to drive the miles claimed.

So for example you might claim 100 miles @ 45p/mi = 45.00
    Fuel for this might only cost less than 20.00 so you wouldn't have receipts for 45.00.

As sevaral people have said, the mileage allowance is intended to cover more than just the fuel.

As a side comment, I detest clients who bull-headedly insist on implementing a "company policy" that contradicts an agreed contract - "bull-headedly" because they can only see the big permie employer POV that the company decides and you accept.
    No... for two reasons..

Firstly they are not checking against the 45p that is a value that is supposed to include wear and tear of vehicle etc not the direct price of petrol.

Secondly (and linked) when I was a permie they used a value of 18p for every mile or something around that so 18px100 is £18. This was a very long time ago as well when petrol was far cheaper so a large margin to work with. They were after the sales guys putting 100's of miles a day in but not leaving the house, not the guy adding 10% to the 20 miles a month he does.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    How can collecting a piece of paper at the petrol station and handing it to the client be unreasonable. Not like it takes any time or effort. If the client is clamping down on people fradulently claiming mileage and this is all he wants give him it.

To be honest I keep all my receipts for my co mileage as well so no extra effort.

So for example you might claim 100 miles @ 45p/mi = 45.00
    Fuel for this might only cost less than 20.00 so you wouldn't have receipts for 45.00.

As sevaral people have said, the mileage allowance is intended to cover more than just the fuel.

As a side comment, I detest clients who bull-headedly insist on implementing a "company policy" that contradicts an agreed contract - "bull-headedly" because they can only see the big permie employer POV that the company decides and you accept.
    Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 26 January 2012, 09:28.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I had this as a requirement when I was a permie with a tiny consultancy. When I queried it they blamed it on the moronic accountant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
    Wouldn't been seen at where you were supposed to be count as proof? A fuel receipt is next to worthless as proof who says you weren't just filling your car up for the week. Having said that Mrs Acme has to provide a receipt when claiming mileage (she works for a school) but that is the public sector for you

The issue here as has been pointed out is its impossible, unless you are driving a Veyron at full tilt, to spend on fuel what you claim for mileage.
    This is very true and for companies our size yes it is not needed but a large corporate with remote sites and so on and so on. It's not perfect for them at all but helps I guess.

My Veyron is pretty eco friendly at full tilt.. anyone else having a problem with theirs?

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Which isn't unreasonable either. If someone was doing mileage on my company I would want to make sure he is doing it.
    Wouldn't been seen at where you were supposed to be count as proof? A fuel receipt is next to worthless as proof who says you weren't just filling your car up for the week. Having said that Mrs Acme has to provide a receipt when claiming mileage (she works for a school) but that is the public sector for you

The issue here as has been pointed out is its impossible, unless you are driving a Veyron at full tilt, to spend on fuel what you claim for mileage.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Why do I have a sneaky feeling that the client doesn't give a damn about VAT but just wants some level of proof that mileage has actually been done?

Hector would do exactly the same if YourCo didn't keep an acceptable mielage log.
    Which isn't unreasonable either. If someone was doing mileage on my company I would want to make sure he is doing it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Why do I have a sneaky feeling that the client doesn't give a damn about VAT but just wants some level of proof that mileage has actually been done?

Hector would do exactly the same if YourCo didn't keep an acceptable mielage log.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    How can collecting a piece of paper at the petrol station and handing it to the client be unreasonable. Not like it takes any time or effort. If the client is clamping down on people fradulently claiming mileage and this is all he wants give him it.

To be honest I keep all my receipts for my co mileage as well so no extra effort.
    Maybe 'unreasonable' was a bit strong, ok. But I'm not sure that it's common practice, or even a requirement for contractors to keep fuel receipts. I was under the impression that receipts were required if you had a "company car", as opposed to using your own car for business purposes, where it is not the case, especially if on the FRS.

If the client is clamping down on people fradulently claiming mileage and this is all he wants give him it well, as mentioned I keep email trail of requests to be at whatever location and they would know the mileage within their finance dept anyway; you keep receipts, which you find easier; each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    A quick question that hopefully has an easy answer.

The "something dodgy is going on" alarm bell rang in my head. I've been told that if I want to claim mileage that I need to both send in my mileage claim and also a VAT receipt for the fuel spent to at least the value of the mileage claim.

Now, surely there's something dodgy about that... my mileage isn't to just cover fuel, it's meant to cover everything else involved in running a car. If I'm giving them a high value VAT receipt then they're getting VAT back for fuel that isn't anything to do with my business travel.

What's the impact on me/my company for this, if any?
    You can claim mileage and, you can claim the VAT element on fuel if you are VAT registered and not on the FRS.

Who is asking for this 'proof'? If its your company paying the mileage, you only need keep a mileage log. If it is HMRC VAT, then obviously you need the receipt for VAT purposes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    . I think it's an unreasonable request.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    It's just the request for VAT receipts to "prove" expenditure to the full value of the claim that seems daft to me. Normally if a client asks for VAT receipts to prove expenditure, I send copies annotated to say that VAT already reclaimed by my company, in this case there are no VAT receipts as I don't provide them to my company on purely mileage expense claims.
    Something about this doesn't sit right to me (not Craig's post, but the request).

In the past, if I can claim mileage at whatever rate from the client, then I ensure I have an email requesting my attendance at x location for such and such a meeting, or an Outlook invite etc. I then work out/clock the mileage (return journey) x rate allowance, and submit as part of either invoice (add VAT if this is the case), or via agency portal, (which then adds VAT).

I've never had to provide fuel receipts. What about the fuel which is already in my tank? You wouldn't just buy 20 litres to travel for a client related meeting. Not all of its use is going to be client related travel; some/most will be claimed from my business as 'getting to work' mileage, etc etc. I think it's an unreasonable request.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    OK, so we've answered who "they" are.....

Your contract says mileage is billable to HMRC rates. Therefore, you bill mileage at HMRC rates.

On your invoice, include a line for "expenses - mileage Z miles at 45p per mile = £ZZ.ZZ"

Then add VAT to the total and send that in to whoever your contract is with.
    Yep, that's what I always do and always will. It's just the request for VAT receipts to "prove" expenditure to the full value of the claim that seems daft to me. Normally if a client asks for VAT receipts to prove expenditure, I send copies annotated to say that VAT already reclaimed by my company, in this case there are no VAT receipts as I don't provide them to my company on purely mileage expense claims.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I have no employer

Contract says mileage is billable at full HMRC allowance rates. For me, it's none of their business about VAT on a bill. I bill my company for mileage, without providing VAT receipts, that's recharged to the client as part of my normal weekly invoices, they then can reclaim the VAT on my invoices.
    OK, so we've answered who "they" are.....

Your contract says mileage is billable to HMRC rates. Therefore, you bill mileage at HMRC rates.

On your invoice, include a line for "expenses - mileage Z miles at 45p per mile = £ZZ.ZZ"

Then add VAT to the total and send that in to whoever your contract is with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X