• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "meal allowances for a ltd company"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you haven't got receipts, can you provide bank statements as a fall-back, highlighting the relevant lines?
    The only problem I see with that is that you are allowing HMRC the right to dig into that account.

Not an issue if the only money going to fill it up comes from your company bank account and it's account that has limited personal use but would be an issue if you have multiple income sources going into it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you haven't got receipts, can you provide bank statements as a fall-back, highlighting the relevant lines?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    For what? Claiming the cost of bread and butter back for lunch? Just because people say it on here it doesn't mean it is viable.
    This is true. And I promise I dont take anything on here as gospel but its nice to know opinions.

I appreciate your view is always dont believe what people say on here and I can see your point. But, I think theres no harm in getting opinions of people on here most of which have been in the game much longer than I have.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Receipts are not required for Incidental overnight expenses of up to £5. This is only for stay overnight obviously, does not cover a day trip.

Class 1 NICs : Expenses and allowances : Incidental overnight expenses (previously Personal incidental expenses or PIEs) : Evidence required

Employees are not required to produce receipts for any amount claimed in respect of incidental overnight expenses (formerly PIEs) as long as it is within the prescribed maximum
    Also:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/nimmanual/NIM06020.htm
    Last edited by xoggoth; 29 June 2011, 16:29.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not just this thread. If you read others you will see that some people do still claim.

Nice to see you in a good mood again NLUK
    For what? Claiming the cost of bread and butter back for lunch? Just because people say it on here it doesn't mean it is viable.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It isn't grey. It's pretty black and white and from what I have seen has been discussed clearly in this thread. Which bit are you confused about exactly? If you are at home you are at home, end of. If you are at a temporary location you can claim food up to £5 with a reciept?
    Are you asking if you can claim your bread and marge receipts for making a sarnie at home??? What do you think? You are a business. Start thinking like one.
    Not just this thread. If you read others you will see that some people do still claim.

Nice to see you in a good mood again NLUK

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Another related link is here: Shout99 : Tax dispensations on expenses

See the section on Meal Allowances.

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Look at this old thread (starting at page 4 to get to the relevant stuff from THEPUMA's comment onwards).

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...sitance-4.html

It has a lot of interesting discussion on this topic.

Also see this post on shout99 on a related subject from 2007: Shout99 : Ask An Expert : Expenses
    Last edited by Hex; 29 June 2011, 15:12.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Must admit I'm still a bit confused about this. I've done some research, searched the forums, spoken to my accountant (who confused me more) but still not 100%.

Talking about working at client site during the day, and home every night. So, travel to site mileage is allowable, yeh?

Lunch. No flat rate allowed, its got to be receipts. Rules are you can only claim if its more than it'd normally cost you for lunch.

But surely, if I'm at home, I can make my own sarnie from scratch rather than buy one from clients canteen/tescos? and its going to be cheaper. Even though its only 9 miles I aint going to go home. (Now theres an idea - maybe I can claim 2x 9miles a day going home for lunch instead? )

Anyway, back to original idea. Does this mean I can claim? (if I keep receipts)

I understand that this is a bit of grey area but what does everyone else do?
    It isn't grey. It's pretty black and white and from what I have seen has been discussed clearly in this thread. Which bit are you confused about exactly? If you are at home you are at home, end of. If you are at a temporary location you can claim food up to £5 with a reciept?
    Are you asking if you can claim your bread and marge receipts for making a sarnie at home??? What do you think? You are a business. Start thinking like one.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Must admit I'm still a bit confused about this. I've done some research, searched the forums, spoken to my accountant (who confused me more) but still not 100%.

Talking about working at client site during the day, and home every night. So, travel to site mileage is allowable, yeh?

Lunch. No flat rate allowed, its got to be receipts. Rules are you can only claim if its more than it'd normally cost you for lunch.

But surely, if I'm at home, I can make my own sarnie from scratch rather than buy one from clients canteen/tescos? and its going to be cheaper. Even though its only 9 miles I aint going to go home. (Now theres an idea - maybe I can claim 2x 9miles a day going home for lunch instead? )

Anyway, back to original idea. Does this mean I can claim? (if I keep receipts)

I understand that this is a bit of grey area but what does everyone else do?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    By 'lunch' I take people mean 'dinner'?
    Lunch is what you have in between 11.30 - 2.30pm*

Dinner is what you have in the evening.

Oh and "common" people and children have their "Dinner" at lunch time.

*depends what time I get up is why I eat so early or late.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    nope...lunch...I usually eat it at 13:35, which is later than some but I find at that time I can have my own table and there still be a smattering of HR staff lovelies milling around at the sandwich bar.

Unfortunately after about 13:30 on Mexican days the Guacamole is usually all gone.
    Dinnertime is 12:00-13:00

Teatime is 17:00ish..

Soft Southern Shandy Drinkers....

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    nope...lunch...I usually eat it at 13:35, which is later than some but I find at that time I can have my own table and there still be a smattering of HR staff lovelies milling around at the sandwich bar.

Unfortunately after about 13:30 on Mexican days the Guacamole is usually all gone.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    By 'lunch' I take people mean 'dinner'?

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I never said it was complicated, I said it wasn't worth the effort.
    Have it your way then
    "hello mr shopkeeper can i have a receipt please" place receipt in Pocket\wallet get home place receipt in Intray end of month when filling in expense form write down amount and date, file with other paperwork for that month, "yes i can see how that could be to much effort for some people"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X