• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pension.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pension."

Collapse

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    But at 20 I earned half of what I earned at 30, which was half of what I earned at 40.

The fact is anything that you save at age 20 will be worth nothing by the time you're 65. There's little wonder that a lot of people treated property as a pension.
    Its inflation And CPI is just so wrong dont get me started

Inflation is running at around 8%

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    If you start your pension at 20 then its 10%, at 40 its 20%. Makes a good case for starting your pension as early as possible.
    But at 20 I earned half of what I earned at 30, which was half of what I earned at 40.

The fact is anything that you save at age 20 will be worth nothing by the time you're 65. There's little wonder that a lot of people treated property as a pension.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    There are two ways to make pension contributions, as a regular monthly amount or as single contributions. The latter is better for contractors. You can pay whenever you want, in any amount that may suit you at the time. As someone with a variable income stream you will want vary your payments according to whether you have income and how much, and also so you can fine-tune your tax planning.

Regular monthly contributions are for ordinary employees with a regular income from a company they don't own. Pension companies are required to tell HMRC if a payment is missed, and the employer may be in trouble as a result. As a contractor you don't need yourself as an employee to be protected from yourself as an employer, so avoid all this by sticking with the single contributions option.

I set a salary target for the tax year, put nothing into my pension until the company has earned enough to pay that target, then put any further earnings for the year into the pension.

Depending on how much I'm working, as a semi-retired contractor I make single contributions once a year (at the end of the tax year) or quarterly or sometimes (when there is a few months of consecutive work and I've already reached my salary target) once a month.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 28 December 2010, 13:48.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Couple of things to check. As people live longer so rates from pensions get progressively lower. The last twenty years has seen rates halve and not sure it has bottomed yet. Also (unless it's changed in last 4 years) a pension in company name can be difficult to transfer to better annuity provider.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 December 2010, 21:12.

Leave a comment:

• tangent
    replied
    I have been putting the max into ISAs every year since they started and PEPs before that. Got just under 200k invested now. Are ISAs fair? Probably not. The tax advantages are very minor for basic rate tax payers. I think that a cap is likely to be introduced sooner or later.

SIPPs now look very worthwhile, but as many have said, how long before the rules change again?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    How long will it be before we hear "It's not fair that the rich get to dodge tax by buying ISA's".
    And is it fair ?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I was planning to up.

I've been doing it personally for a number of years, but with going back contracting I was planning to up it to 12k per year. Also going to add into the wifes as well.

Pensions are only one part of the
    overall equation though.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I fear you are right. This is going to be a one term Government and as sure as eggs are eggs, Red Ed will not want anyone keeping their own money under their own control. This will be a short lived reform, I fear I will not have enough time to strip all the SIPP money out and get it into ISA's before Labour are returned to power.
    You're assuming of course that ISA's manage to survive the cull as well.

I can't help but wonder how much longer ISA's will be around for. How long will it be before we hear "It's not fair that the rich get to dodge tax by buying ISA's".

Someone investing the maximum ISA allowance since their creation in stocks and shares would have a 6 figure pot - and now be earning 6.5K per year (5% average growth) or 12K (8% growth) - all tax free.
    Last edited by centurian; 12 December 2010, 17:44.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    You will be one of the lucky few!

A 55% tax on your pension leftovers before it is passed on. But at least it can now be passed on. Effectively the gov't are reckoning they can divert baby boomer cash from annuity providers into their own coffers over the next 20+ years. They are either playing a long and clever game or teeing it all up for the next labour gov't to fook it all up once more.
    I fear you are right. This is going to be a one term Government and as sure as eggs are eggs, Red Ed will not want anyone keeping their own money under their own control. This will be a short lived reform, I fear I will not have enough time to strip all the SIPP money out and get it into ISA's before Labour are returned to power.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    This is too good to be true, the gov't will do something to stop it, I'm sure.
    You will be one of the lucky few!

A 55% tax on your pension leftovers before it is passed on. But at least it can now be passed on. Effectively the gov't are reckoning they can divert baby boomer cash from annuity providers into their own coffers over the next 20+ years. They are either playing a long and clever game or teeing it all up for the next labour gov't to fook it all up once more.
    Last edited by moorfield; 11 December 2010, 20:42.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    With the scrapping of the annuity rules this week, pension rules are looking a lot more sensible, and will be easier to pass on to heirs.
    Correct, I have enough income due from a deferred final salary scheme to qualify for pulling as much money as possible out of my SIPP. It will be going from the SIPP in to ISAs for me and Mrs Bloggs. This is too good to be true, the gov't will do something to stop it, I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    With the scrapping of the annuity rules this week, pension rules are looking a lot more sensible, and will be easier to pass on to heirs.

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    I put in 2000 a month and I am also intending to put another 24000 in as a lump sum by the end of the tax year.

I do this to avoid the 40% tax bracket. Also, combined with my husband's salary and the fact that we don't have children I can happily live on the money under the tax bracket.

You should ask yourself how much you can afford to do without until you retire. If you've got a large pot of money put aside and have used your ISA allowance then think about putting a chunk into pension.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I don't put anything in because I'd rather manage my own future. Pensions are good for some people but just not for me.

I'd rather invest in something that can be passed on to my children rather than just eaten up by the financial system after I have gone.

I mainly stick to ISAs and property, and a smattering of other, smaller investments.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    £1500 per month.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X