• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax forms for salaries"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    the amount they cost they more than save in ideas for saving tax
    Not in my experience. There are no ways of saving tax (other than dubious ones) that an accountant can tell you that you will not find on the IR's own website and in their booklets. In my exerience too, many accountants take your money and tell you bugger all unless you ask. And if you know the questions to ask you scarcely need the answers.

Not to say an accountant, if you can find a decent one (smaller is better) is not worth it to avoid a lot of very boring work, but don't forget you still have to supply them with all all your income and expense details in a comprehensible form and check what they send you and by the time you have done that the rest aint so bad. Dont let anyone tell you you can't do it yourself if you want to, you just have to put the time in.

Also, all the govt agencies are now very good at sending out reminders of all the deadlines, the days when you only found you should have done something 6 months earlier because a a big fine demand drops through the letterbox are long gone.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 10 February 2006, 21:59.

Leave a comment:

• G8_Summit
    replied
    Originally posted by lolo
    Have called TaxMan and should be in under my door soon.
    Well done - I am sure they will be more than helpful to your situation.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Thanks XLMonkey & G8_Sumit,

That's exactly what I after, this P45 form.. or whatever it is called in this country. Have called TaxMan and should be in under my door soon. .
    -----
    Personally, I really don't have anything against accountants, they are the sort of profession like any other (although a bit boring) - but simply it is not the advice I am after, and which some of the idiots like Dundeegeorge, malvolio, DaveB, foritisme, hyperD .. etc.. - under the cover of "help" are publicising on the forum with the real aim of offending. Keep lads this sort of counsel to yourself or give it to other idiots like you.

Cheers,
    Lolo
    Yeah, right, we're only here to take the piss. The only difference being I've been playing with the tax system in this coutry for ten years and while any idiot can get registered for PAYE, the circumstances under which you pay it out are just a little more complex, which is why if you're really new to it, you need a bit of expert advice to set it up. Once it's going of course, anyone can do it.

Had you been arsed to go th www.hmrc.gov.uk, on the front page there's a big link to everything you need to know, including all the forms. It's really not that difficult to find.

All we said was "PAYE is easy, there's a lot of other legal stuff you need to be aware of". If you're so clever you don't need to know that, well fine, it's not us that'll get the tax audit. If you're so naive as to expect courteous and professional help for free on an open board, then probably it's not us who are the idiots.

So glad to have been of service - not.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

some of the idiots like Dundeegeorge, malvolio, DaveB, foritisme, hyperD .. etc.. - under the cover of "help" are publicising on the forum with the real aim of offending.
    Hey, I resent that. I helped you by providing a number for you to call about setting up your tax system.

FFS! Even when you're trying to help someone they still don't appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Oh, if the Tax Man asks any questions about what your doing just point them here. They dont always know all the regulations themselves and sites like this are a good way for them to check up.

Leave a comment:

• lolo
    replied

That's exactly what I after, this P45 form.. or whatever it is called in this country. Have called TaxMan and should be in under my door soon. .
    -----
    Personally, I really don't have anything against accountants, they are the sort of profession like any other (although a bit boring) - but simply it is not the advice I am after, and which some of the idiots like Dundeegeorge, malvolio, DaveB, foritisme, hyperD .. etc.. - under the cover of "help" are publicising on the forum with the real aim of offending. Keep lads this sort of counsel to yourself or give it to other idiots like you.

Cheers,
    Lolo

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Lucifer,

This country has excellent rates it just a matter of squeezing it like a lemon,

I don't think he is looking for the correct answer

Leave a comment:

• G8_Summit
    replied
    Dundeegeorge,

Thanks for note, be assured nothing wrong with me head.

How about your then?
    Are you a pitiful accountant in line to only bark incapable of thinking on some more productive stuff.

Cheers,
    Lolo
    Lolo,

Please don't get drawn into having an argument with these idiots. They spend all there time on here picking on newbies - especially if they aren't too good with the English.

Listen, just phone your local tax office (look on Yellow pages under tax) and ask them to send you a p.45 form. Fill this in and thats all there is too it.
    The p.45 effectively registers you as a self employed, self administrator so there is no need to do PAYE or anything like that.
    Each time you pay yourself, you just have to ring up the tax office again and tell them that you have self administered. Easy !!!

Good luck !!!

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Would it be any difference if I am not on the payroll (haven't got work contract with my LTD), but get only directors' fee and that's is rather rarely event.
    no, irrespective of whether you have a contract of employment, the company must still pay you through a qualifying PAYE scheme.

On the more general point you can, of course, do all of the work yourself (probably would take 2 days/month to begin with, dropping back to a day/month once you've sorted it). It's just that, the time you spend on doing your own accounts and payroll administration is time you could be spending on fee-earning work. If you're any good, then you should be earning more per hour than you would pay the accountant to do it for you. Accountant = c. 80-120/month
    You = more than 80-120/day

working weekends to do it is an option of course, but then if you wanted to work weekends for that sort of money, you wouldn't be considering contracting.

=> to do anything else but appoint an accountant would be, what's the phrase that's been knocking about here...? Stupid.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    Is he smart enough to understand it though?
    Obviously not...

Leave a comment:

• lolo
    replied
    Dundeegeorge,

Thanks for note, be assured nothing wrong with me head.

How about your then?
    Are you a pitiful accountant in line to only bark incapable of thinking on some more productive stuff.

Cheers,
    Lolo

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Nice line M.

Originally posted by malvolio
    Errm - I don't think so...If it's that simple, why did you ask the original question?

Anyway, I'll not bother any more - I trust you are happy being self-sufficient in the matter of sex...
    Is he smart enough to understand it though?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Malvolio,

Note taken - however - are you a scorned accountant to keep on insting "get an accountant" line. Get life! There are guys smarter than you who can manage running a small l company without this sort of advice.

Cheers,
    Lolo
    Errm - I don't think so...If it's that simple, why did you ask the original question?

Anyway, I'll not bother any more - I trust you are happy being self-sufficient in the matter of sex...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    This is a very nice option which I may consider as the last resort. Even when this seems a bit illegal. When I was working for Arabs doing exactly so (but there was no VAT charged - wise people).

Cheers,
    Lolo
    You could always phone this number 0845 608 6000 and ask them how best to proceed with this.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    At the end, as your are the only one to insist to do a runner tactic. Do you know anybody who tried, for at least few years, and succeeded?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X