• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nixon W or SJD or other accountant??"

Collapse

• bulletprooffool
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Try Nixon Williams then, no hanging on there!
    I did - they were very good!

I ended up joining and have been astonished at how quick and efficient they have been - so far I am a very happy customer!

Let's hope they keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Hello

Hi Cojak, it's outside the normal accountancy practice stuff, as with these type of things there's a lot of things not in the public domain just yet, all going on in the background but the accountancy practice side of things is fully functioning and operating. Quite an exciting year coming up with the launch of our new site in a few weeks (www.swingingelephant.co.uk) and the wife drops our first little one in May!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Is cojak a sockie for Roger Cook
    It's a question that needs answering, I think...

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Morning Darren!

Now you're here would you care to comment on this?

As of Jan 2010 it was still on the FSA's books...

Or is it outside of your bog-standard accountancy operation?
    Is cojak a sockie for Roger Cook

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Morning Darren!

Now you're here would you care to comment on this?

As of Jan 2010 it was still on the FSA's books...

Or is it outside of your bog-standard accountancy operation?
    Last edited by cojak; 2 February 2010, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrimby View Post

Find a good recommended local accountant is my advice
    A most important point.

My 1st accountant was local and did nothing for me, was late with my returns and refused to give me my documents (shares certificates etc) when I moved.

I only got my original company certificate (he gave me a couple of scanned pages initially) because I insisted that I needed it to set up my business bank account (after I decided not to go with his 'recommended' bank manager).

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Hello

Still here and recovering from January! Trading accounts still active and we've probably had the busiest 2 months intake of new clients thanks to recomendations from current clients many of which frequent this board.

Leave a comment:

• Jaded
    replied
    Aren't Uptons being investigated by the FSA, seem to recall something before Christmas.

I seem to remember reading that their bank account was frozen, try searching Moneymadeclear + upton
    Last edited by Jaded; 1 February 2010, 20:21.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by thomas47 View Post
    Who is better Uptons or NW...both seem similar in price, but what is service like?
    I have had good service from Uptons for a couple of years now...

Leave a comment:

• thomas47
    replied
    Who is better Uptons or NW...both seem similar in price, but what is service like?

Leave a comment:

• Chelsea38
    replied
    I've been with SJD for two years and am about to leave! They are not proactive at all. If you want to pay someone for a service and then constantly chased them around for information or to check that they are doing what you are paying them for.....signup with SJD!

Any accountant recommendations welcome!

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Nixon Williams - see no advantage in having a "local" accountant (for me anyway). Very efficient, easily contactable and no daft spreadsheets to fill in.

Leave a comment:

• DMGee
    replied
    New to contracting (had a spell through umbrella - 4 months in 2005) and on returning to country got offered my old perm role back but through agency so after a few weeks of umbrella company I decided to set up my company.

I incorporated it in October, started trading in December and after biting the bullet that for a first-timer I should get help with the accounting, I appointed NW. (I did check out others too but their spam emails for the sake of it - I lost count how many times SJD askd me how I'd heard of them - put me off).

Been first class so far, told them I'll need help retrospectively since I started trading with what I have withdrawn from company bank account since that date etc and wasn't an issue at all.

All I need is basic, PAYE scheme / payroll, how much I can give myself as a dividend and how often and help with corp tax / VAT returns. They said they can help me, others testify as to the fact they can so fingers crossed this is start of a long relationship!

Engineering Contractor for those interested.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaimesjdaccountancy View Post

Hi Bulletprooffool,

Sorry you’ve had problems getting through, we’ve not had any issues with our lines, that I'm aware of. I must say though it has been an incredibly busy January our busiest on record which must surely be a sign companies are once again on the hunt for contractors.

If you PM me I’m sure I can help or call the 0500 152500 (or if calling from a mobile use our head office number 01442 232700).

Cheers

Jaime
    It's a shame you have to post on here to put your problems right. That may be an indication in itself.

Leave a comment:

• Jaimesjdaccountancy
    replied
    Phoned SJD - I understand they may be busy, but if new business waits online for so long, I may just be better trying a smaller local accountant. . .[/quote]

Hi Bulletprooffool,

Sorry you’ve had problems getting through, we’ve not had any issues with our lines, that I'm aware of. I must say though it has been an incredibly busy January our busiest on record which must surely be a sign companies are once again on the hunt for contractors.

If you PM me I’m sure I can help or call the 0500 152500 (or if calling from a mobile use our head office number 01442 232700).

Cheers

Jaime

Leave a comment:

Working...
X