• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract in Switzerland"

Collapse

• smalldog
    replied
    Basel is somewhere u go to die

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    You also have the possibility of living in France or Germany and not paying Swiss taxes ie Working in Basel and living in Mulhouse.
    Lörrach, Weil am Rhein, St Louis, Huningue are considerably closer. And less awful.

If you're single, however, French and German taxes are considerably higher than Swiss, so why would you want to do that?

The Swiss do government bureaucratic work.
    I did wonder, since the Swiss are rarely seen in the offices I work in.

Note that, generally, tax rate has a correlation to health insurance premiums, and an inverse correlation to rents.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 31 August 2009, 12:03.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    And cookoo clocks.
    WRONG

That's the Tyrol and the Black Forest. If it hasn't been already, that's going to be QI question pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE in your calculation if your contract is longer than 3 months as this is required by law.

You will have to take this out yourself and If you don't the canton has powers to force you to choose the provider of their choice. This works out at about CH250 for minimum cover.
    That figure is per month. Just as with tax and accommodation prices, the cost of health insurance varies by area:-

http://www.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/default.aspx

Note that it asks for your post code. Swiss postcode directory

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Working in Switzerland

You also have the possibility of living in France or Germany and not paying
    Swiss taxes ie Working in Basel and living in Mulhouse. This would be the option if you were a French tax resident.
    I received CH1500 a month tax free travel allowance+ paid CH3500 3rd pillar
    pension so paid about 20% tax.
    DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE in your calculation
    if your contract is longer than 3 months as this is required by law.
    You will have to take this out yourself and If you don't the canton has powers
    to force you to choose the provider of their choice.
    This works out at about CH250 for minimum cover.
    There is more to Switzerland than Clocks and Chocolate.
    There are a lot of Muti-National companies set up in Switzerland to take
    advantage of the low taxes so they need your IT skills.
    90% of my ex collegues were non swiss. The non europeans do the dirty work
    and the Germans and the other europeans do the skilled work. The Swiss do government bureaucratic work.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by JustMe View Post
    It depends on the canton you live how much tax you have to pay.
    This is a biggy. There is a massive difference between the tax payable between Zurich and Geneva as they are in different cantons. The tax is considerably higher in Geneva as is the cost of living in terms of accomodation particularly.

It pays to do your sums carefully before you accept a role as otw you could get a shock at how much you are left iwth net after tax, flights, accomod etc.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And pharma.
    And cookoo clocks.

And multi-functional knives.

Leave a comment:

• sparrowdclxvi
    replied
    Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not nestlecerily... (see wot I done there?). There are big Financial and Tobacco companies out there too..
    And pharma.

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Approximately, following the employment route, how much will you get net from a E500 pd contact ?
    http://en.comparis.ch/immigration/tax/default.aspx

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not nestlecerily... (see wot I done there?). There are big Financial and Tobacco companies out there too..

There's to Switzerland more than chocolate.

Someone called me yesterday for a ServiceCenter contract this week, I'm in contract so couldn't do it.

(Also not sure I'd take it this time unless I could persuade Mr C to come with me...)
    there's more to nestle than chocolate...in fact thats one of their smaller product lines nowadays compared to all the other stuff..

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Thanks, I see ..

Approximately, following the employment route, how much will you get net from a E500 pd contact ?
    between 65- 70% depends on the canton. Like absolutely everywhere in Europe. I've noticed this is the answer I would give for all the places I've worked in.

Actually some of that will be put into a private, but strictly state controlled pension fund.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 August 2009, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    that'll be nestle then!

There's to Switzerland more than chocolate.

Someone called me yesterday for a ServiceCenter contract this week, I'm in contract so couldn't do it.

(Also not sure I'd take it this time unless I could persuade Mr C to come with me...)

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Because you are present in the country, working in the country.
    Thanks, I see ..

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by sparrowdclxvi View Post
    Hi all

This is my first post here, so hi.
    I've been contracting here in the UK for 7 years now, but have now been offered a role in Switzerland.

I've been told I can't work through my UK registered Ltd company and have to go through (the agent recommended) management company. The reason being some (vague) tax implications.

Just really looking for some guidance here as I'd much rather do it via my own company.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Alex
    that'll be nestle then!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It can theoretically be done but it is too complicated and no agency is going to bother, notwithstanding that a contractor that is illegally in Switzerland gets the supplier and maybe the client in trouble as well. It is unlikely as the client usually demands Swiss based staff with work permits as a prerequisite. The fact is that just as in the UK the Swiss have a similar concept to disguised employees, and this is the reason why it isn't practical.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 August 2009, 10:15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X