• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Elan Self Billing & Invoices"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Of course you can be on the CA scheme. Where have I said you cant be? However, the tax point issue is determined by the agent raising the self billing invoice in agreement with HMRC.
    No, absolutely not.

The point of CA is that the VAT is due when the cash (hint... ) hits your bank account. The VAT point on the invoice under CA rules merely defines the prevailing rate at which VAT will be charged, NOT the point at which it is to be accounted for or paid.

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Of course you can be on the CA scheme. Where have I said you cant be? However, the tax point issue is determined by the agent raising the self billing invoice in agreement with HMRC.

Your agent should have sent you confirmation of this agreement with HMRC when it told you not to raise invoices.
    Sorry, I still don't get it. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to try and understand.

I understood the thrust of your argument to be that you might get into trouble with HMRC for paying VAT in a later period in the event of an investigation. I was thinking if you were on the CA scheme, the date the invoice is paid is the only one that matters?
    Nope because the agency has a self billing VAT arrangement with HMRC. That takes precedent.
    When you say the self billing arrangement "takes precedent" what is taking precedent? The point at which the VAT payment is due or the tax point?
    WRONG! By raising an invoice and sending it to the agent, you're creating a tax point of when the VAT is due.
    Is it that there is a difference between the "tax point" and "when the VAT is due" which is different on the CA scheme to the normal VAT scheme?

When on the CA scheme, I don't see how raising an invoice can create the point at which VAT is due as I thought the whole point of the CA scheme is that the VAT only becomes due when payment is made rather than when the invoice is raised.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by minstrel View Post
    So does that mean my company is not allowed to be on the cash accounting scheme if my agency operates a self billing VAT arrangement?

Do you have a link confirming that?

Your agent should have sent you confirmation of this agreement with HMRC when it told you not to raise invoices.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Quite. Raise an invoice yourself, don't send it to them if that is going to confuse them. You raise an invoice, the invoiced amount is what appears in your company account, job done. If they feel like pr4tting about pretending to raise invoices for YOUR company (!) that's a matter for their internal accounting procedures and has little to do with you.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Assuming you have your own company and not an umbrella...

Firstly you can't raise an invoice for another company, it's illegal. what they are giving you is a payment advice note.

Disregarding that, if you're happy to be paid against an advice note then fine. Otherwise, raise your own invoice purely for your own records: it your company, it's up to you to maintain audit trails. It's not like it's a major effort, after all.

Thirdly what they do with the VAT is not your problem. You have to account for yours, they won't be paying it for you. This can go wrong with expenses, BTW, depending on whether or not they accept the principle of VAT on VAT for charges (which they should but it all works out straight either way so no point in sweating it).

Fourthly, this whole self-billing thing was never meant for what we do, it was designed and support manufacturing processes, espcially EDI/Just-In-Time deals, where speed is needed and actual physical (and accountable) delivery acts as the trigger

Finally the legislation is framed around physical supply of components, so much of the accounting detail doesn't actually translate to supply of services.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    So does that mean my company is not allowed to be on the cash accounting scheme if my agency operates a self billing VAT arrangement?

In my particular case, I had an intermediary agency involved... which I admit I neglected to mention earlier. My invoice went to the first agency, don't know what the process was between my agency and Elan.

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    Nope because the agency has a self billing VAT arrangement with HMRC. That takes precedent.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    What about if you are on cash accounting VAT scheme?

Surely then you can raise whatever invoices you like, but if you are never paid for the 'duplicate' invoice no VAT is due and the tax man can't have a problem with it.

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    WRONG! By raising an invoice and sending it to the agent, you're creating a tax point of when the VAT is due.
    What about if you are on cash accounting VAT scheme?

Surely then you can raise whatever invoices you like, but if you are never paid for the 'duplicate' invoice no VAT is due and the tax man can't have a problem with it.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    What the agency does with the invoice is up to them. I generate it for completion and for an audit trail. Even though you are right.... I'm still happy doing it for the sake of completion.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You can't.

The invoice that the agency pay is the invoice that they themselves raise for you (that's why it's self-billing, they bill themselves for you).

If you present to HMRC an invoice that is not the invoice paid by the agency then you are lying to HMRC, and it is better not to do that.
    What the agency does with the invoice is up to them. I generate it for completion and for an audit trail. Even though you are right.... I'm still happy doing it for the sake of completion.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OK <pedant>it's not an invoice, it's an aide-memoire for entering into your accounting system</pedant>
    Yes, I've always done this but the aide memoir looks like an invoice that I'd use if I wasn't self billing. It helps me to keep the books straight.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanR View Post
    I generate my own Invoice but that is purely to get the remittance into my Company Accounting software.

It wont hurt.

Alan
    OK <pedant>it's not an invoice, it's an aide-memoire for entering into your accounting system</pedant>

Leave a comment:

• AlanR
    replied
    I generate my own Invoice but that is purely to get the remittance into my Company Accounting software.

It wont hurt.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Personally, I would do both the Timesheet and the Invoice, primarily for peace of mind.
    You can't.

The invoice that the agency pay is the invoice that they themselves raise for you (that's why it's self-billing, they bill themselves for you).

If you present to HMRC an invoice that is not the invoice paid by the agency then you are lying to HMRC, and it is better not to do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X