• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Elan Self Billing & Invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elan Self Billing & Invoices

Hi,

Quick question for anyone working through Elan using the self billing timesheet system.

Do I need to produce MyCo invoices for every timesheet I submit to keep for my records, in case HMRC inspect me? Or is the "Self Bill Invoice / Remittance" that Elan send on payment sufficient?

Cheers

The idea of SB is that you dont supply an invoice with the timesheet. That's a condition the agency makes with HMRC for VAT purposes.

Im through parity and they offer the same with SB and would expect any agency to follow suit.

EDIT, forgot to add, the agency will supply an invoice when they pay you.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      The idea of SB is that you dont supply an invoice with the timesheet.
      Thanks, but I know you don't supply the invoice to the agency, that wasn't the question.... basically I wanted to know if the agency supplied combined self bill invoice/remittance when they pay MyCo based on a faxed timesheet is sufficient paperwork should HMRC inspect me. Which seems it is

Comment

Yes they do. See the edit comment that I added.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          Thanks, but I know you don't supply the invoice to the agency, that wasn't the question.... basically I wanted to know if the agency supplied combined self bill invoice/remittance when they pay MyCo based on a faxed timesheet is sufficient paperwork should HMRC inspect me. Which seems it is
          Personally, I would do both the Timesheet and the Invoice, primarily for peace of mind.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Personally, I would do both the Timesheet and the Invoice, primarily for peace of mind.
            You're not supposed to. The agreement is between the agent and HMRC for VAT purposes and affects the date that VAT is due \ raised. If you issue an invoice, you could find some VAT becomes payable in a current VAT period rather than the next one.

Not a big issue unless you have a VAT investigation and they start asking why why VAT was paid in the later period.

As I said, you get an invoice so there's peace of mind there.

Comment

WHS

Did the same when I worked through them.

Also I keep an invoice system, invoice numbers, etc... I did it to keep track
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You can't.

The invoice that the agency pay is the invoice that they themselves raise for you (that's why it's self-billing, they bill themselves for you).

If you present to HMRC an invoice that is not the invoice paid by the agency then you are lying to HMRC, and it is better not to do that.

Comment

I generate my own Invoice but that is purely to get the remittance into my Company Accounting software.

It wont hurt.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
                    I generate my own Invoice but that is purely to get the remittance into my Company Accounting software.

It wont hurt.

Alan
                    OK <pedant>it's not an invoice, it's an aide-memoire for entering into your accounting system</pedant>

Comment

Working...
                    X