• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountants - am I missing something?"

Collapse

• cpjames
    replied
    Tax liability estimation software

Hi

I think I have a pretty good idea of my tax position and how to estimate it but I would be interested in software that will help estimate it (just to sanity check my own calcs if nothing else)

Could anyone tell me where I can get hold of this type of sw?

Cheers,

Chris

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Most charge £800+ and give a crap service.
    yep ... thats been my experience ... which is why I ditched them

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    It's pretty common actually.

We don't charge for it on the basis that I can't be bothered.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I have.

But only as we didn't have 3 years accounts.......

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Nope, never been asked for an accountants reference for those.

Leave a comment:

• vhadiant
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Why would you ask your accountant for references? What does he say, this bloke/lady is great at filling in his/her excel sheets?
    Mortgage/credit/visa applications etc.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Why would you ask your accountant for references? What does he say, this bloke/lady is great at filling in his/her excel sheets?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by sidknows View Post
    who charges 35-400 a month

does your current accountant charge your for references ?
    can you ask him for an up to date tax position at any time of the year ?
    are u vat registered ?

if he does all the following you are getting a good deal

Never had to ask him for references, but am sure he'll do it for a fee or even free!! Do you ask for references on a regular basis?

Why would I want up to date tax position? I mean I can estimate my own tax position, I believe some people here have the software where you download statements and put in expenses and it would estimate tax position - I am thinking of getting the software (been thinking for a while) but honestly who can't roughly estimate their taxes?

As per my previous post, I do my own VAT online, however I use the flat rate VAT, so yes it is a lot simpler - I calculate each month's VAT automatically in a spreadsheet whenever I invoice the client.

A friend of mine recommended her accountant strongly (operating offshore) he is very good in dodging / playing the HMRC, he gaurantees contractors to retain 80% of what they earn... however charges £350 to £400 a month, now that to me negates the 80% income retention gaurantee... right?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by sidknows View Post
    are u vat registered ?
    No she's not VAT Registered, she just does her own VAT returns online for a laugh.....

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    I have a chartered accountant who charges 340+VAT for my Ltd accounts.

But doesnt do any VAT or PAYE for me or my personal tax return either.
    He works out of a home office, a side extension on his house, so his costs are very low.

I give him a couple of spread sheets at the end of the year and he does the accounts and prepares the corp tax return. This probably takes him half a day to do!

His service is average, if i had a higher income, and needed to find more ways to reduce my tax liablity (over and above just dividends), i would look for someone better and less afraid of HMRC.
    Last edited by Iron Condor; 7 May 2008, 17:18.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh, I've met fellow contractors who say they only pay £400 pa and get a good service, darned if I know where one finds them. Most charge £800+ and give a crap service.

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    But you're an accountant, right? It's in your interests for people to use accountants. Would you be prepared to guarantee that you could save me at least your fees in tax if I became your customer?
    No because theoretically you might be doing everything perfectly correctly. I could guarantee to save you at least 21% of our fees in tax if that's any good?!

You'll have to decide whether or not it's worth a punt.

I'll happily do a tax-based fee if you like (assuming the Institute will let me). ie you show me how you're currently operating and I'll charge you 50% of any tax savings I make in year one as my fee.

Roll up, roll up.

Etc

Offer only applies to people who don't know what they're doing. Or anyone paying themselves national minimum wage.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Surely the £1000 of tax saved only works once*. After that you could just do what the accountant did to save the tax yourself, without the accountancy fees.

* OK, once per change of law that occurs every five minutes...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    But you're an accountant, right? It's in your interests for people to use accountants. Would you be prepared to guarantee that you could save me at least your fees in tax if I became your customer?
    It would be a damned poor accountant that didn't cover his own fees IMHO...

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    I don't think it's what your accountant does, it's how much tax they can save you that is crucial.

If I were a contractor, I would want to minimise my combined tax plus accountancy fees. The difficulty is establishing who offers this. I guess what I would do is do some research on CUK, ring around a few accountants and ask them about topical issues such as IR35, National Minimum Wage, entrepreneurs' relief, income shifting etc and decide who gave the most convincing answers.

There is no point saving £1000 on accountancy fees if it costs you £2000 in tax.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X